joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what? The light blue shading of 25-50" is so incredibly vague. I average between 35 and 40" a season but you couldn't hardly tell that using that graphic. That's like grouping people that got a B- in with those that received an A. 

And I average between 26"-30" and the map has me in the 10" shade.

Not a well done map, IMO.

She argued to the point of nauseum that the North shore of Long Island received the most snow in the area. 

The North shore of LI receives 27"-31" (depending on where) of snow for sure. Maybe even a bit higher in the Western Suffolk county area from Huntington to Port Jefferson.

Parts of the Bronx are pushing 30" too.

I wish PAM were here to see this , she would be proud, 

post-1709-0-66425100-1445350989.png

Fairly inaccurate map for our local region, especially when taking into account the recent decade.

Newark, NJ's 30-year running snowfall average [1985-2015] is now 30.3".

Central Park's 30-year running average is now 27.9".

LGA is 28.4".

New Brunswick, NJ is 29.6".

Locally, my 30-year running is up to 30.9" now. The 1980-2010 average is 28.9."

Most of the area from Monmouth County northeastward through NE NJ and NYC has an average in the 28-30" range if you examine the current 30-year block of time. Much of northern Long Island is in the 30-33" range. With the recent 5 years, parts of Monmouth County are now definitely a bit over 30" on the 30-year running.

I've always though Central Park's "real" average was around 28-29" or so, far above the 1970-2000 average, and still solidly above 1980-2010.

I like this map better. :)

b3og83.jpg

Fairly inaccurate map for our local region, especially when taking into account the recent decade.

LGA is 28.4".

Most of the area from Monmouth County northeastward through NE NJ and NYC has an average in the 28-30" range if you examine the current 30-year block of time. Much of northern Long Island is in the 30-33" range. With the recent 5 years, parts of Monmouth County are now definitely a bit over 30" on the 30-year running.

I've always though Central Park's "real" average was around 28-29" or so, far above the 1970-2000 average, and still solidly above 1980-2010.

b3og83.jpg

Good to see the copyright up there.

It will be interesting to see how the waves will be impacted since they are going dredge a large volume

of sand from offshore to elevate and extend the beach and build dunes.

It destroys the waves. Without sandbars the waves break directly on the beach aka big shore break. It takes years for the bar system to return. This was the case at many jersey shore beaches. Closer to home pt lookout which used to be a great surf spot was ruined when they dredged there

Tom , I like your map better too.

The NOAA map is vague but I only posted it as an ode to Pam and her arguments about the N shore of Suffolk.

If your area is off by 3 to 4 inches don't call the cops it's not a crime.

That was one thing Pam was right about. On another note I think the big take home is we should all move to the tugg hill

LGA is 28.4".

b3og83.jpg

Your attention to detail is what makes your maps really stand out. By far the most accurate around. Can easily translate these NJ averages north into Orange/Rockland counties & areas further east like the BX or Manhattan. 

You can see how the canyon funnels the waves into that spot near the lighthouse.

Keep an eye on winter storms even when they pass us. Especially the fish storms. The storm that made this swell in pourtugal passed by our area and bottom out in the 930s in the North Atlantic before making a mess of the UK.

Keep an eye on winter storms even when they pass us. Especially the fish storms. The storm that made this swell in pourtugal passed by our area and bottom out in the 930s in the North Atlantic before making a mess of the UK.

It would make the surf more exciting here if the sea level was much lower and the actual shoreline was

close to the Hudson Canyon. ;)

It would make the surf more exciting here if the sea level was much lower and the actual shoreline was

close to the Hudson Canyon. ;)

During the last ice age NY had a legit big wave break!!!!! We still have the issue of living on an east coast but we have had big swells even here.

Hurrican bill in 08 had buoy 44025 at 17 feet at 17 seconds. Waves at our beaches were about that size at peak. Take that same size and period swell and send it Nazzari and bam it's 40 or 50 foot. The swell in that video was probably 25 feet at 20 seconds. That we may never see here

Absolutely get the information first and straight forward....

No chances of the administration making unjustified suspension here either...

I plan on banning a certain islander fan who thinks hes untouchable cuz hes a mod now. Its not ok to root for bad teams.

But thats kinda justified.

Archived