Erika 2015

jburns

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reports of fatalities in Dominica......

From Stormcarib.com

"Thursday, August 27, 2015 09:46AM PDT - Dominica

Although there were no tropical storm warnings or watches for Dominica because the center of the storm was supposed to pass about 100 miles to the north, the island is being greatly affected by Erika. I guess forecasters forgot that the brunt of the system was to the south of the center... Again, as often with a tropical system, the winds are not the biggest problem, but the rains associated with the system. So even though Dominica might not have had sustained tropical force winds (so a tropical storm warning was not warranted I guess), they did for sure experience tropical storm conditions! Maybe they should change the definition of a tropical storm warning/watch.

There are reports of widespread flooding (incl. the airport), landslides, and widespread power outages. Unfortunately two people are confirmed dead and as many as 5 people are missing. I am trying to get some news from my special hurricane correspondents on the island (posted on the Dominica page), but with no power it will be hard. For other news check out Google News Full Coverage. -Gert"

This is nearly spot on to what they are showing on the Weather Channel.

It would be crazy to see one here.  We haven't had landfall of anything higher than cat 2 in Georgia in more than a century, and even those are few.  I think the last category 3 to hit the Georgia coastline was in like 1898 or something like that.  A long, long time.

I hope people wouldn't be too complacent. Even the last category 2 to hit our coastline was 1979 I think, well out of the memory of a lot of people (and many weren't even born yet).  That sort of length of time can make people cocky and careless.

New plane should be out there in no more than a hr so we will see how the LLC is reacting, looks to be moving more NW now at least on radar and its tough to tell on Vis where the center is now...my guess though is they will have to re plot the center somewhere NE of the old position....if I had to guess I would put it at 17N and maybe 63.5W....moving more NW.  If she can get a decent core together before hitting PR it most likely wont effect her to much.

It would be crazy to see one here. We haven't had landfall of anything higher than cat 2 in Georgia in more than a century, and even those are few. I think the last category 3 to hit the Georgia coastline was in like 1898 or something like that. A long, long time.

I hope people wouldn't be too complacent. Even the last category 2 to hit our coastline was 1979 I think, well out of the memory of a lot of people (and many weren't even born yet). That sort of length of time can make people cocky and careless.

correct on both accounts. The last GA major landfalling hurricane was in 1898 and Hurricane David was the last hurricane to directly make landfall in 1979.

since you're not allowed to discuss the gfs without written consent in the main thread, ill post it here.  18z is slower and stronger, hugging the ec of fl thru 120 and strengthening., moving n. almost makes landfall in jax.

:lmao:

Well that's different..

That would be drought-busting track for the entire SE.  If only...

:lmao:

That would be drought-busting track for the entire SE.  If only...

Might not be that great of a drought buster, if it takes that track it will be a half a cane with the bulk of the storms right along the coast and offshore.....in fact I doubt it would be a cane at all more likely a ragged TS......

Might not be that great of a drought buster, if it takes that track it will be a half a cane with the bulk of the storms right along the coast and offshore.....in fact I doubt it would be a cane at all more likely a ragged TS......

There would be alot of convection firing around the center in the Afternoon and evening.

WPC 7 day rainfall total shows up to 1" of rain even into my area. That might not be associated with Erika though. I doubt a storm hitting the east coast would bring rainfall this far west.

At least some of that 1" total probably has to deal with the GFS idea that Erika makes landfall on the GA coast, and moves NW into northeast GA/Western SC. In fact, the 18Z GFS brings the center of Erika's remnants just to the north of your location at ~183hr.  

There would be alot of convection firing around the center in the Afternoon and evening.

Speaking droughts, Puerto Rico is in a pretty bad one themselves.  Hopefully this thing doesn't do more bad than good down there, but from what we are seeing coming out of the Dominican, who knows.

It will be interesting to see the runs the next few days to see if this thing pushes any more west.  

Archived