joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
6/27/15 - 6/28/15 obs

weatherwiz

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of tree damage reports from that area today. Wasn't an area I really expected for downslope assisted winds.

Seems like there were some rogue gusts out there.  Just a 1/4 mile up the street from me, the street was littered with leaves and twigs and there was one giant limb from a white pine on the shoulder.  There were a couple very small patches like this over throughout Gilford and around the airport.  

Car was really being buffeted by the wind on route 11 driving alongside the airport.

How much in your Davis?

I've noticed lately in a lot of these events my Stratus gauge can run as much as 20% higher than local PWS automated gauges. Normally it seems to run in the 10% range from a relatively close PWS. Is that normal?

1.32"... actually a surprising difference for me.  My VP2 is usually within .01 or .02 of the stratus unless the rain rate starts getting past 3-4"/hr.  In this case, the error is probably because I've had to move my station a little closer to some trees, which I know had to be blocking some of that light blowing rain and mist this morning.

I don't know how much error is normal, but 10-20% sounds like a lot.  You can calibrate the VP2... there's an adjustment screw in there but I don't remember the specifics.

It just won't end. Winds have turned west and still socked in with fog/low clouds..and to make it worse temps even colder 51.2 Makes you wonder about all these forecasts of sun today

Where are these winds you talk about?  Not a breath of it up here.

Rain, cool temps, lush lawns.  April in summer is not a bad thing.

Hell, I'm the complete opposite...as I get older I can't tolerate dews...anything 55 and over and it's too sticky...bleh...

I'm the same way.  Way back when I was in my teens, I'd shrug off 95/73 in NNJ, whether at the beach or frying my brains in left field.  Now I'd take 75/50 for the whole summer.  As PF noted, yesterday's coolness was interestingly anomalous, and I was disappointed in a "cheap" 59F max recorded at my 9 PM obs the previous evening.  It spoiled the afternoon high of 53 yesterday.  That lower figure, had it stood, would've been my coolest daily high for the period June 17 thru Sept. 28.

Storm total was 1.46", bringing the June total to 6.92", where it will probably stay.  Temp looks to finish at 4F below my avg, and my coolest of 18 Junes here, in fact the coolest June I've recorded since moving to Maine in 1973, including 10 years in Ft. Kent.

Archived