joxey
6/27/15 - 6/28/15 obs

weatherwiz

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be your luck.

Ah, a Reno special.

I mean I certainly don't want to be the one explaining why we didn't have a flash flood warning out during some service assessment, especially when it may be as simple as tree trimming. But we're getting the run around on it.

For this event it looks like we might escape without significant impacts though. Rivers look like they are forecast to mostly behave.

12:45pm  light rain and sheets of wind blown drizzle.  53.1F  Winds gusting on the Davis to 32mph but its sheltered to the east.  Wind is ripping through the woods with leaves and branches down.  1.14".   Zoomed in view from the webcam and you can see the trees all bending.  Had to turn heat on as house is really cold with such windy conditions.

I over sharpened image to show leaves better......

post-268-0-09607900-1435510137_thumb.jpg

Trees are hell on our radar. When it was installed they opted for one less scaffolding section than normal (since we're on a hill), and we're paying for it now.

attachicon.gifSTA.jpeg

Some of those wonky radials are off by a factor of 5 to 10. For instance, PSM I think is up to 1.55" on the day, out storm total accumulation product says 0.20"

:axe:

Wow, that almost looks worse than the BTV radar hitting the mountains, haha.

So may you or Dendrite can explain it...if the beam is blocked why does it just under-report?  Wouldn't it just not catch anything?  I always wondered that with the mountains here...it under-estimates it but if the beam is blocked by the terrain, how does it register anything at all?  Does it fill it in with higher scans or something?

Wow, that almost looks worse than the BTV radar hitting the mountains, haha.

So may you or Dendrite can explain it...if the beam is blocked why does it just under-report?  Wouldn't it just not catch anything?  I always wondered that with the mountains here...it under-estimates it but if the beam is blocked by the terrain, how does it register anything at all?  Does it fill it in with higher scans or something?

We were just saying that our radar is essentially no better than BTV when it comes to blockage. The caveat is that we can still see reflectivity/velocity in those radials. The problem I think arises from how the radar estimates precipitation. When it comes to dual-pol, tree branches really wreak havoc on ZDR, which is a primary means of estimating rain rates.

You can see ZDR below. Perfect match for the bad precip radials.

post-44-0-71192100-1435511045_thumb.gif

We were just saying that our radar is essentially no better than BTV when it comes to blockage. The caveat is that we can still see reflectivity/velocity in those radials. The problem I think arises from how the radar estimates precipitation. When it comes to dual-pol, tree branches really wreak havoc on ZDR, which is a primary means of estimating rain rates.

You can see ZDR below. Perfect match for the bad precip radials.

Ahhh so you can still see the reflectivity in those zones, its just that the leaves play with the dual-pol data that calculates the precipitation estimates? 

Where as BTV can't see much of anything under the 2.5 degree scan east of the Spine, which is why J.Spin and I often use the 2.5 or composite radars to see whats going on.  BTV's base scan is about the most useless thing ever, and 1.5 degrees will show the western slopes and gaps in the Spine well. 

I was pretty shocked to find out that it's easily in the top 5 most hiked peaks in the world. I figured in New England sure, but the world was surprising.

Easy access to population centers for day-trips and the highest point around with fantastic views and a trail that is doable for a wide range of abilities....busy busy.  The two times I've hiked it in the summit, it was like hiking down I93 in Boston.  That summit is pretty darn cool though for how far south it is.

I was pretty shocked to find out that it's easily in the top 5 most hiked peaks in the world. I figured in New England sure, but the world was surprising.

Climbed it for the first time in May. Taking a day off in late September to do it again. Heard it can get jammed on the weekends.

Ahhh so you can still see the reflectivity in those zones, its just that the leaves play with the dual-pol data that calculates the precipitation estimates? 

Where as BTV can't see much of anything under the 2.5 degree scan east of the Spine, which is why J.Spin and I often use the 2.5 or composite radars to see whats going on.  BTV's base scan is about the most useless thing ever, and 1.5 degrees will show the western slopes and gaps in the Spine well. 

It's not actually leaves, but the twigs that do it. They align with the horizontal pulse (so ZDR is a form of H pulse - V pulse) and you get a big ZDR value. The higher the ZDR the lower the rain rate, hence these radial issues you see.

I've done most of the high profile and many low profile peaks over the years but for some reason monadnock has eluded me. Thinking of driving up Friday and bagging it but probably will wait for a non holiday..

Winds shifted here so maybe we'll salvage some of the day.

Well ...this thing is about by the boards.  What next?

I'm thinking this might be a more entertaining weak - if people let it  <_< -- than might at first occur to the eye by looking over the various synoptic depictions.

Seems after this system's finished with it's retarded departure (can't leave soon enough!) we evolved pretty quickly into a humid pattern.  Not saying "hot" there...or even very warm really. But in the absence of event, backside sufficiently deep CAA/dry air source, we bathe in 78 or 82 over 65 DPs through mid to late week.  With southwest flow below 6 km, while there is west flow in the mid levels, any small perturbation would likely be enough to percolate a CB or two on the horizons. If lucky, that 3-loud thunderclap 7 minute downpour in ones neighborhood from time to time.  

I just don't see a huge stablizing influence post all this soil moisture uptake, so as the sun sears daily we lift it.  Orographic forcing ...breeze and old outlflow boundaries alike, could serve as subtle triggers to get crispy TCU to cauliflower over the top of the trees at the other end of the yard.  That may seem nerdy, but filming clear air crispies and then time-lapsing them is hobby of mine. 

Anyway, perhaps not hugely alluring as experience goes, but it's more interesting than sitting around in a stagnant trough that's devoid of any activity.  

It's not actually leaves, but the twigs that do it. They align with the horizontal pulse (so ZDR is a form of H pulse - V pulse) and you get a big ZDR value. The higher the ZDR the lower the rain rate, hence these radial issues you see.

:huh:  Ur radar was installed in the woods ?! 

hahaha. wow.  J/k, but still, that's kinda stupid to install million dollar hardware in an interference saturated environment.  Heh, guess it's a governmental operation after all?

:huh:  Ur radar was installed in the woods ?! 

hahaha. wow.  J/k, but still, that's kinda stupid to install million dollar hardware in an interference saturated environment.  Heh, guess it's a governmental operation after all?

Back in 1993 it didn't seem like as big of an issue. Problem is trees grow.

Then

post-44-0-98059100-1435517398_thumb.jpg

Now

post-44-0-55935100-1435517382_thumb.jpg

Looks like one more scaffolding section would bring the bottom of the radar not too far above the top of those white pines.  Given how fast white pines can grow, you should ask for two more sections to be safe.  

/armchair radar installation engineer 

We're definitely looking for one more section, plus a blowtorch for our next damaging drought.

Archived