joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
6/27/15 - 6/28/15 obs

weatherwiz

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi resolution visible sat sequence shows that the mid and higher level cloud ceiling is thinning/peeling away from SNE at this hour. 

There is a back edge to that lower, thick inundating gunk, moving NE ...but said is well down into central Jersey, which is also beneath the latitude of a triple point low - just about centered on the NY Bite.  Surface obs on the DDE page at NWS really shows this half-commitment to secondary/triple point feature nicely with wind barbs organized into a weak cyclonic gyre ... This is placing all of SNE on the drain/cold side of that new low. 

Couple things...any question as to the potential for interesting convection has been negatively answered. Much of that was predicated on the warm/diffused warm boundary penetrating to ~ the Pike.  I suppose that technically could still happen but both by observation and the less than scientific, yet we all know to be a true method ( :wacko2: ), it doesn't "feel" like that has any hope of happening. It's been the tenor of the event characteristic/profile for some two years, frankly.  

It's kind of like the ALCS in 1998, between the Red Sox and the Yankees.  There was no mathematical reason why the Red Sox absolutely could not stop the Yankees from coming back in Game 5 from a 5-2 hole, yet, when Grady Little let Pedro decide... game was over! We all knew it.  The Red Sox were winning 5 to 2, and the Yankees won :arrowhead:  

Anyway, another thing I noticed that is interesting is the MOS products for Hartford -- really hones in on the modeling uncertainty wrt to said warm penetration.  Up down ... up down.  It's been varying between 70 and 80 F there, and I suspect now even the 72 that it put up as the last output is going to be in trouble.  Perhaps ...perhaps if the triple point lifts up and over CT's latitude, then winds would come around to west and albeit light ... would downslope some together with weak advection and scour SW zones out. That hypothetical result would probably serve a T spike of some sort.  Actually, SE NY may be showing what "could have been" even in THAT sort of deal; they have TCU popping on sat. 

But, it all hearkens to the winter time ...when one must apply a sort of perfunctory delay to whatever the even most pessimistic model has for warm timing.  Actually, .. this is true in the Spring with receding BD air masses, too; so it's not just a winter thing, it's a 'whenever-cold-is-tucking' thing.  The mechanics for that tucking are always dismantled too liberally ..perhaps having to do with resolving the lowest even 100mb of atmospheric mass.. Who knows, but I can't honestly remember any time where a model said a warm fropa would happen by x,y,z and it happen actually x,y,z.  Once we tuck, as the say in Ebonics, 'we be f*ed' 

Interesting.  

Hi resolution visible sat sequence shows that the mid and higher level cloud ceiling is thinning/peeling away from SNE at this hour. 

There is a back edge to that lower, thick inundating gunk, moving NE ...but said is well down into central Jersey, which is also beneath the latitude of a triple point low - just about centered on the NY Bite.  Surface obs on the DDE page at NWS really shows this half-commitment to secondary/triple point feature nicely with wind pips organized into a weak cyclonic gyre ... This is placing all of SNE on the drain/cold side of that new low. 

Couple things...any question as to the potential for interesting convection has been negatively answered. Much of that was predicated on the warm/diffused warm boundary penetrating to ~ the Pike.  I suppose that technically could still happen but both by observation and the less than scientific, yet we all know to be a true method ( :wacko2: ), it doesn't "feel" like that has any hope of happening. It's been the tenor of the event characteristic/profile for some two years, frankly.  

It's kind of like the ALCS in 1998, between the Red Sox and the Yankees.  There was no mathematical reason why the Red Sox absolutely could not stop the Yankees from coming back in Game 5 from a 5-2 hole, yet, when Grady Little let Pedro decide... game was over! We all knew it.  The Red Sox were winning 5 to 2, and the Yankees won :arrowhead:  

Anyway, another thing I noticed that is interesting is the MOS products for Hartford -- really hones in on the modeling uncertainty wrt to said warm penetration.  Up down ... up down.  It's been varying between 70 and 80 F there, and I suspect now even the 72 that it put up as the last output is going to be in trouble.  Perhaps ...perhaps if the triple point lifts up and over CT's latitude, then winds would come around to west and albeit light ... would downslope some together with weak advection and scour SW zones out. That hypothetical result would probably serve a T spike of some sort.  Actually, SE NY may be showing what "could have been" even in THAT sort of deal; they have TCU popping on sat. 

But, it all hearkens to the winter time ...when one must apply a sort of perfunctory delay to whatever the even most pessimistic model has for warm timing.  Actually, .. this is true in the Spring with receding BD air masses, too; so it's not just a winter thing, it's a 'whenever-cold-is-tucking' thing.  The mechanics for that tucking are always dismantled too liberally ..perhaps having to do with resolving the lowest even 100mb of atmospheric mass.. Who knows, but I can't honestly remember any time where a model say a warm fropa would happen by x,y,z and it happen actually x,y,z.  Once we tuck, as the say in Ebonics, 'we be f*ed' 

Interesting.  

Good post but I think you mean October of 2003 not 1998 haha

Good post but I think you mean October of 2003 not 1998 haha

Oh, ha... Right.   I was confusing that butt-bang with the one back in '98, when Chuck "overthrow, bean fan's head' Knoblauch' completely missed the tag on Jose Offerman at 2nd base by some 6 feet, but because the ump had fashioned his position where Jose blocked the better vantage point as he ran by ... the ump called him out.  That was a series turner f-up on the part of the ump, no question.  

Montpelier, VT (MPV) has now set its all-time June rainfall record with 1.37" so far today.

New Record is at 8.82" and counting...old record was 8.36" set just 2 years ago in June 2013.  Records go back to the 1950s.

Mount Mansfield (MMNV1) is very close to the all-time June rainfall record of 15.28" set in 1998.  The co-op needed 1.12" to break it and at Stowe Mountain Operations Center at the base of the mountain we are at 1.05" so far.  Several thousand feet higher probably broke the record. 

Personally, I've got 0.92" at home in the gauge and am now over 11" of rainfall this month. 

The Mountain is over 15" and town is over 11"...incredibly wet month.  Amazing that the mountain is averaging 0.5" of rainfall per day all month long.

I think this event was a bit over cook on QPF.  Solid soaker but in the end, one that falls a little shy of the appeal given by the majority of guidance.  

Yeah...seemed more like a widespread 0.5-1.5" with isolated higher amounts, rather than 1.5-3.0" with locally higher amounts.  The WPC discussions were mentioning spot amounts to 4-6" even yesterday morning. 

Trees are hell on our radar. When it was installed they opted for one less scaffolding section than normal (since we're on a hill), and we're paying for it now.

post-44-0-72734700-1435507380_thumb.jpeg

Some of those wonky radials are off by a factor of 5 to 10. For instance, PSM I think is up to 1.55" on the day, out storm total accumulation product says 0.20"

:axe:

Trees are hell on our radar. When it was installed they opted for one less scaffolding section than normal (since we're on a hill), and we're paying for it now.

attachicon.gifSTA.jpeg

Some of those wonky radials are off by a factor of 5 to 10. For instance, PSM I think is up to 1.55" on the day, out storm total accumulation product says 0.20"

:axe:

CON is at 1.78"...looks like ~1" on that image. Tell Ekster to get the chainsaw out.

CON is at 1.78"...looks like ~1" on that image. Tell Ekster to get the chainsaw out.

It's pretty bad. Hard to trust any sort of flash flood guidance when we don't have accurate rainfall estimates. I mean it affects probably 85-90% of our population.

We need a big blown down to come through the office and clear the hilltop out.

Archived