• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

Just over an inch including this morning's action.

Dude you had to have gotten at least .75 by you today

I hope you're right. The last thing you ever want to do by us is head into August dry. August 1995 was .00 and we lost a huge grove of old growth tulip trees by wantagh high

They were over 120 feet tall and some still haven't fallen yet.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you guys on the northern end of the south shore towns. Totally sh!t the bed just south of you.

The dews gotta be high 70s where I am in Manhattan

...next to nothing out here on ELI..

KFOK reported .11 inches of rain..thats sounds about right for me..as

usual the heavy rain dissipated as it moved east..with the passing of the front 

this will set the stage for some awesome beach weather for the weekend..(can't believe there's only

5 weekends left in the 'beach season'.)

Driving around Bayside and Whitestone, Queens yesterday and saw some decent tree and power line damage. Also saw 2 transformers on fire in Whitestone.

Damage reports are pretty moderate for Queens and Nassau:

_____________________________________________________________________________________

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARY
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
958 PM EDT THU JUL 30 2015

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0250 PM TSTM WND DMG WHITESTONE 40.79N 73.81W
07/30/2015 QUEENS NY BROADCAST MEDIA

TREES DOWN ON CARS.

0253 PM TSTM WND DMG BAYSIDE 40.79N 73.77W

2 LARGE PIN OAKS DOWN ON 216TH STREET. TREES FELL ON A
HOUSE AND TOOK DOWN POWER LINES.

0253 PM TSTM WND DMG BEECHHURST 40.79N 73.80W

TREE DOWN ON WIRES.

0300 PM MARINE TSTM WIND 1 NNW SADDLE ROCK 40.81N 73.76W
07/30/2015 M47 MPH NASSAU NY MESONET

47 MPH WIND GUST

0304 PM FLASH FLOOD BRONX 40.85N 73.87W
07/30/2015 BRONX NY SOCIAL MEDIA

WATER FLOODED THE LOWER LEVEL OF A BUSINESS AT GARRISON
AVENUE AND WHITTIER STREET.

0430 PM TSTM WND DMG SANDS POINT 40.86N 73.71W
07/30/2015 NASSAU NY FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

WIRES DOWN AT WOOD ROAD AND HARBOR ACRES ROAD.

0454 PM MARINE TSTM WIND 1 NNW SADDLE ROCK 40.81N 73.76W
07/30/2015 M39 MPH NASSAU NY MESONET

0510 PM TSTM WND DMG SYOSSET 40.82N 73.50W
07/30/2015 NASSAU NY LAW ENFORCEMENT

TREES ON WIRES AND LIGHTS OUT AT JACKSON AVE AND
RAILROAD AVE. TIME ESTIMATED BY RADAR.

0510 PM TSTM WND DMG PORT WASHINGTON 40.83N 73.68W
07/30/2015 NASSAU NY FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

WIRES DOWN AT HERBERT AVENUE.

0512 PM TSTM WND DMG GLEN HEAD 40.84N 73.62W

WIRES DOWN AT CODY AVENUE AND GLENWOOD ROAD.

0527 PM TSTM WND DMG LOCUST VALLEY 40.88N 73.59W

TREES DOWN BLOCKING ROAD AT VALLEY AVE AND BAYVILLE
ROAD.

Just ended. .81 of much needed rain.

My friend in Bellmore got .78

I was really glad to see it. But the lawns and the vegetation have been turning brown here recently. 

JFK is the closest station to me and the rainfall is down quite a bit since April.

April....-2.26

May....-3.48

June...+1.13

July.....-1.63

One day to go (Thru 7/30)

NYC: +2.3

EWR: +1.5

LGA: +1.7

JFK: +2.4

TTN: +0.8

PHL: +1.1

Today should be above average in most places too. Even though here it will be 90° or so, the humidity is down (Dewpoint 62°) making it feel a lot drier and overall more comfortable.

Today should be above average in most places too. Even though here it will be 90° or so, the humidity is down (Dewpoint 62°) making it feel a lot drier and overall more comfortable.

So far for the 60 days of summer we are running a bit above normal (ahead of last year) but cooler than the quad 2010 - 2013.  The warm May has also contributed to a much warmer warm season compared to 2014.

August will dictate the finally.   8/1 - 8/5  Above normal , 8/5 - 8/10 looks at or below.  Beyond there a crap toss.

I think August will come in solidly below normal with the trough migrating from the Great Lakes to the Northeast. Thinking -1 to -2 only because of a warm first few days.

Id ride the normal trend.  cool period looks 8/5 - 8/10 with rebound on/around 8/11 or 12.  The extent of the cooldown likely more noteworthy north and west. 

So far for the 60 days of summer we are running a bit above normal (ahead of last year) but cooler than the quad 2010 - 2013.  The warm May has also contributed to a much warmer warm season compared to 2014.

August will dictate the finally.   8/1 - 8/5  Above normal , 8/5 - 8/10 looks at or below.  Beyond there a crap toss.

That period of hot Summers is hard to beat. Hopefully after that cool period we can rebound a little.

I think for the most part the hottest days of summer are behind us.

Well yeah, averages are starting to decline as we head into August. Now that's not to say that August can't produce heat we've already seen, if not surpass it in certain areas. It can be a hot month.

I think for the most part the hottest days of summer are behind us.

especially with post 8/5 period looking cooler than average.  By the time we rebound, That takes us to 8/12 or so and that's getting to a period of rapidly diminishing daylight etc, hard to get prolonged heat from then on out especially N and W of NYC

\

Lol at the dismissing of summe in August...last I checked August is a summer month...yes we know daily highs get lower...just because we have some cooler temps coming and it still may be normal doesnt mean we are seeing a fall pattern checking in

guess you missed last 2 years...August was awful.

This July was warmer than last year and much warmer than 2009.

But we were well behind the major to record heat experienced from

2010-2013.

July Newark temperature departures 2009-2015 and maximum temperature

.............TD....TMAX

2015...+1.3....98...so far

2014....-0.4....96

2013...+3.5...101

2012...+3.4...104

2011...+5.5...108

2010...+5.1...103

2009...-2.9....91

The 12z Euro actually phases in part of the northern stream next Friday and develops a surface low that tracks off the Mid-Atlantic coast and then just Southeast of the benchmark. It even pulls down some cooler temps behind it into southeast Canada with places like Pittsburgh struggling to make it out of the 60's. A sign of things to come as we begin to flip the switch.

The 12z Euro actually phases in part of the northern stream next Friday and develops a surface low that tracks off the Mid-Atlantic coast and then just Southeast of the benchmark. It even pulls down some cooler temps behind it into southeast Canada with places like Pittsburgh struggling to make it out of the 60's. A sign of things to come as we begin to flip the switch.

That is just the el nino working its magic.

would not surprise me to see a lousy 2nd half of August or even lousy 2/3 of the month.   El Nino's in -EPO's can have cool and wet Augusts.  

Archived