• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

Another meh day tomorrow, but could see some sporadic damaging winds. Cons against severe hail/tornado threat: Weak wind fields up to 300mb, poor mid-level lapse rates. Shear is marginal, but hodographs are relatively short and messy. Could see a few marginal/brief supercell structures in upstate New York/Vermont/New Hampshire, otherwise storm mode looks pulse-y.

00z NAM for BAF at 21z is probably the least unimpressive NAM-based sounding for tomorrow:

post-533-0-07452200-1438225493_thumb.gif

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice video from Portland News of the storm that hit our area at Flying Pond on Wednesday.

http://ms-7.sbgnet.com/mediacache/_definst_/smil:mcache/wgme/2015/07/clips/MTYxZjI2Yjc1ZGJj.smil/playlist.m3u8

Could not download, but I saw the one from Ch13 yesterday.  They said "late afternoon" but unless that poor area got hammered twice in 5 hr, it had to be the one about which you posted.  Very impressive - camps in 90-ft pines are not good at dodging when the wind cries "TIMBERRRR!"

Could not download, but I saw the one from Ch13 yesterday. They said "late afternoon" but unless that poor area got hammered twice in 5 hr, it had to be the one about which you posted. Very impressive - camps in 90-ft pines are not good at dodging when the wind cries "TIMBERRRR!"

I still keep replaying the event in my head before bed at night. I asked my mother in law at dinner today how close she was to getting hit by the massive pine coming down and she said about 30 seconds.

Looks like storms around Stowe tomorrow and a good chance at severe on Monday as we arrive at Winni. Maybe a spinner over the lake for us

We look forward to your fakenado reports.

Seriously though, you'll probably end up seeing a waterspout. That lake is a magnet.

Monday PM does have an interesting look to it. Hopefully something tears thru the area.Can't wait to get up there

post-44-0-90374600-1438433118_thumb.gif

Pretty broad area nearby for a nice combination of ingredients. Though the SREF has been slowing this down and dragging it west with time.

Lapse rates do look good, but might like to see better wind fields.

SREF_prob_combined_sigtor__f063.gif

Pretty broad area nearby for a nice combination of ingredients. Though the SREF has been slowing this down and dragging it west with time.

Lapse rates do look good, but might like to see better wind fields.

Looks like the trough sharpens a bit as it moves east which would slow down the front quite a bit. Wind fields aren't too bad but better mid level wind fields exist over NY.

What I do find interesting is some of the models having a more backed wind field. 6z GFS had some decent looking hodos...at least across NY. LCL's may have been a tad high though

Just using the NAM ... Monday's "threat" appears better west as others have recently alluded...

The timing for forcing and so forth is more nocturnal later that night, for us in SNE.  

It also appears to be more linear shear in nature, too.   

Archived