wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Bangor for the night on our way back from Atlantic Canada vacay and just got a news report of Rt 9 being flooded and washed out just E of Berkshires.

It was a weird day...absolutely no steering currents. Storms weren't wide spread, just back building and nearly stationary when they popped up, and it took hours for them to dissipate...

Nice.  Impressive.  I was hoping for peas a little further east... we were getting those huge drops that splat against the pavement... the last step before hail, but it was not to be.

I love me some of that rain. It's almost like in the winter, right before you flip to paste, but with more impact. That anemic updraft was from a shower behind the main storm. I thought it looked cool, I was surprised at how tilted it was given the lack luster shear.

Nice.  My wife works at Hampshire College--I wonder if they got it there.

It must have been close at least! Im not sure what part of town he lives in exactly.

It appears I slept through some damaging downpours last night. Furious.

.36" of rain and a 4.84"/hr rain rate.

Yup I was woken up by some very close lightning strikes around 1:30am.

Looks like 0.25-0.5" fell in this area last night down towards you. Nice little drink. I had 0.31" this morning.

I missed 0.00" here.

I did better, 0.01" since the little shower Sunday afternoon.  In the 7 days since the 2"+ downpours from two TS on July 19 (late) and 20 (4-5 AM), it's rained every day, been cloudy or mostly cloudy every day, and "dumped" a total of 0.37" in such a way as to keep the woods wet almost the whole time.  Had close misses from svr-warned storms 21st (south) and last night (north.)  Glad the Rt 2 svr shield relaxed for that one 8-hr period last week.

Maybe we can get something to pop here in the mountains over the next couple days but looks pretty limited.

CU field just starting to pop over the peaks.

THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM GETTING INTO THE MID 80S TO LOWER 90S THIS
AFTERNOON. AND WITH DEW POINTS IN THE 60S...DEVELOPING INSTABILITY
WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM AS WELL. THE MOUNTAINS WILL BE OUR MAIN
SOURCE OF LIFT TODAY
UNLESS SOME UPPER LEVEL FEATURE MOVES THROUGH
THE NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT TO HELP ENHANCE DYNAMIC SUPPORT.

PROBABLY THE MOST FAVORABLE AREA FOR STRONGER STORMS WILL BE FROM THE GREEN MOUNTAINS EASTWARD
AND WILL CONTINUE THIS IDEA IN THE FORECAST.

UPPER RIDGE BUILDS IN ON WEDNESDAY AND

THIS SHOULD HELP TO CAP THE CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL. BUT WITH PLENTY
OF INSTABILITY DEVELOPING ONCE AGAIN...SOMETHING IS GOING TO TRY
AND GET GOING OVER THE MOUNTAINS.
HOWEVER...AREAL COVERAGE SHOULD
BE PRETTY LIMITED.

Archived