• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

Some summers our area gets storm after storm.. Some years just a few. It's always hit or miss. But never a summer of none

it's not just your area...back in the day, as in late 80's early 90's, my dad coached my soccer team, and we used to have the team over for pool parties all the time...there were summers my parents would frequently get us out of the pool to wait until the storms passed...hardly ever anything severe, but we seemed to always get those garden variety pulse storms with predictable frequency...i miss those days...you just have to remember it's all cyclical...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a s/w too. It's unstable aloft, so even a weak LLJ convering on land or just running into a weak diffuse front can do it. In the summer...the atmosphere can be unstable aloft, so a mouse fart can ignite a CB.

i think i need to see a man about a mouse...

it's not just your area...back in the day, as in late 80's early 90's, my dad coached my soccer team, and we used to have the team over for pool parties all the time...there were summers my parents would frequently get us out of the pool to wait until the storms passed...hardly ever anything severe, but we seemed to always get those garden variety pulse storms with predictable frequency...i miss those days...you just have to remember it's all cyclical...

I hope it hasn't come across as whining. That wasn't my intention. Just was hopeful of seeing a storm or just some much needed rain at the very least. When you are the one getting missed it certainly does suck. But I keep tracking them until finally one will hit

I hope it hasn't come across as whining. That wasn't my intention. Just was hopeful of seeing a storm or just some much needed rain at the very least. When you are the one getting missed it certainly does suck. But I keep tracking them until finally one will hit

i 100% agree with you...it's frustrating as all heck...been about 3weeks now since my area has gotten any kind of meaningful precip...as far as convection, this is def my summer of La Nada

i 100% agree with you...it's frustrating as all heck...been about 3weeks now since my area has gotten any kind of meaningful precip...as far as convection, this is def my summer of La Nada

Kind of in a box from you down to here to just east of HFD ..(my mom in manchester) up to Sturbridge and back to you. . Even Weha had an inch plus last week from that big cell

Kind of in a box from you down to here to just east of HFD ..(my mom in manchester) up to Sturbridge and back to you. . Even Weha had an inch plus last week from that big cell

was in Middleton, MA yesterday hitting some golf balls and getting icecream at Richardson's...a big cell came through...the most excitement i've had all summer...some some cool cloud formations, a couple of almost instantaneous lightning/thunder couplets, and a few pea size hail pellets bounced off my car...it was like Christmas morning

Convection is luck more than anything many times. Just the nature of the beast.  I've watched the area I live in now get crushed many times in that area of convergence that can happen just south of the city and now have not had much since 2013. Just how it is. 

Convection is luck more than anything many times. Just the nature of the beast.  I've watched the area I live in now get crushed many times in that area of convergence that can happen just south of the city and now have not had much since 2013. Just how it is. 

Good convergence over eastern mass I can't foresee us not getting at least a storm today.

AT 102 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR WAS TRACKING A

STRONG THUNDERSTORM OVER ASHFIELD...OR 13 MILES SOUTHWEST OF
GREENFIELD...
MOVING SOUTH AT 5 MPH.
HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF PEAS AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH CAN BE
EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM.
LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
DEERFIELD...WILLIAMSBURG...BUCKLAND...CONWAY...SHELBURNE...

ASHFIELD...WHATELY...CHESTERFIELD...WORTHINGTON...GOSHEN...
CUMMINGTON...PLAINFIELD AND HAWLEY.

Archived