joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the hail threat from north shore right down to the south shore along the seabreeze boundary. Should enhance storms as they track along it during the evening. NAM and BTV WRF both have been pretty good this summer with tstorms and look similar. HRRR/RAP aren't meaningful at this range. We have clear skies, modest daytime heating, definite forcing, drier dp's than we would maybe like and a lack of substantial mid level lapse rates. But any storms that shoot up could drop severe hail and wind. Hail especially due to the very cold temperatures aloft. 

5-8pm Looks like storms track NW-SE through eastern ma east of ORH.

Don't sleep on tomorrow's pm threat

meh...shear is garbage and heights rise pretty good throughout the day.  Not to mention I don't really see any type of s/w moving through during the afternoon either.  As always with heat/humidity a storm can spark and briefly become strong to borderline severe but other than that probably nothing.  

Just about anything possible tomorrow

OVERALL WE COULD BE LOOKING AT A PERIOD OF STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDER-

STORMS THAT MAY CONTAIN ANY ONE OF SEVERAL THREATS INCLUDING LARGE

HAIL... DAMAGING WINDS...EVEN THE POSSIBILITY OF A TORNADO. BUT AS

BOTH THE CIPS ANALOGS AND SREF PROBABILISTIC GUIDANCE ILLUSTRATE

IS THAT SUCH THREATS LOOK TO BE DISCRETE. NOT ENOUGH CONFIDENCE

IN GOING WITH ENHANCED WORDING IN THE FORECAST. NOT REALLY SURE

HOW THIS IS ALL GOING TO PLAY OUT. A CHAOTIC FORECAST WITH

MULTIPLE PARTS AND NO REAL CERTAINTY OTHER THAN AN ANTICIPATED

OUTCOME OF WARM AND MUGGY CONDITIONS DURING THE DAY. LOW

CONFIDENCE

I'm just not seeing any threat at all with perhaps some showers and perhaps some thunder with the warm front but the warm front doesn't appear to be all that active.  As the days goes on as well heights really begin to rise and mid-levels warm somewhat.  Plus I still don't see any sort of trigger

I'm just not seeing any threat at all with perhaps some showers and perhaps some thunder with the warm front but the warm front doesn't appear to be all that active.  As the days goes on as well heights really begin to rise and mid-levels warm somewhat.  Plus I still don't see any sort of trigger

Sipprell pulls his trigger and shoots you. Bang bang

FOCUS TURNS TO THE W FOR THE MIDDAY INTO AFTERNOON PERIOD. LAGGING

CONVERGENT BOUNDARY SW-NE PARENT TO A WEAK LOW- TO MID-LEVEL TROUGH.

HIGH THETA-E / THERMAL AXIS FROM THE SW ACROSS THE INTERIOR ALONG

AND AHEAD. APPEARING AS A HIGH INSTABILITY / LOW SHEAR EVENT WITH

INSTABILITY VALUES AROUND 1-2K J/KG. CONSIDERING TRIGGERS OF LOW-

LEVEL CONVERGENCE / OROGRAPHIC INFLUENCES / DESTABILIZATION WITH A

PWAT ENVIRONMENT AROUND 1.25-1.50 INCHES WITH A WESTERLY MEAN-WIND

OF AROUND 15 KTS...LOOKING AT THREATS OF LARGE HAIL / HEAVY RAIN /

STRONG TO DAMAGING WINDS. FOCUS IS MAINLY OVER THE N/W/CENTRAL-AREAS

OF S NEW ENGLAND WHERE CLOUD DEBRIS LOOKS TO CLEAR ALLOWING STORM

DEVELOPMENT. CAN NOT RULE OUT SOME LOCALIZED FLOODING.

GAINING A MEASURE OF CONFIDENCE...SREF PROBABILITY GUIDANCE

HIGHLIGHTS THE LIKELIHOOD OF INSTABILITY OVER W NEW ENGLAND

SEPARATED FROM HIGH-VALUES OF EFFECTIVE BULK SHEAR TO THE E AND

OFFSHORE. CONVECTIVE OUTCOMES WITH A LEVEL OF SEVERITY APPEAR

LIKELY.

BOX has shifted it's interest from western zones to the Northeastern Mass I guess.....

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
655 AM UPDATE...A BAND OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WAS MOVING
INTO WESTERN MA AND WESTERN CT. HAVE NOTED SOME FLEETING
ROTATIONAL SIGNATURES ON DOPPLER RADAR SOUTH OF ALBANY.
HELICITY VALUES ARE HIGH OVER SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND RIGHT NOW BUT
THERE IS NO CAPE WHATSOEVER. THERE IS AN AREA OF 1000 SURFACE-
BASED CAPE JUST SOUTH OF WESTERN LONG ISLAND WHICH IS POISED TO
SPREAD NORTHWARD LATER THIS MORNING. SPC SREF SEVERE WX PARAMETERS
ARE HIGHLIGHTING THE MERRIMACK VALLEY AROUND 18Z FOR THE GREATEST
POTENTIAL FOR ANY SUPERCELLULAR STRUCTURES.
WIND FIELDS BECOME
QUITE WEAK ALOFT THIS AFTERNOON...WHICH WOULD DIMINISH SEVERE
POTENTIAL BUT WITH STRONG CAPE THERE COULD BE A LOT OF LIGHTNING
AND HEAVY DOWNPOURS. STAY TUNED.

I don't see any threat at all for anything.  The degree of lift is way to weak...orographic lift is not going to cut it in this case.  Shear is so non-existent that any updrafts that try to build are going to collapse on themselves almost right away (updrafts will become downdraft dominated very quickly b/c there is not enough shear to separate the two).  Not to mention you have decent capping between about 650-550mb as shown on several soundings.  Plus you have pretty decent height rises aloft.  Stuff may try to get going but it's going to have trouble getting past 10-12k in height I would imagine.  

It is interesting though to see the HRRR spit out scattered activity.  We have had setups this summer where several parameters looked pretty solid but it showed nothing.  

I still really don't like the setup today...I think anything that tries to develop is quickly going to become downdraft dominated and too early to introduce wet microburst potential.  

I don't see any threat at all for anything.  The degree of lift is way to weak...orographic lift is not going to cut it in this case.  Shear is so non-existent that any updrafts that try to build are going to collapse on themselves almost right away (updrafts will become downdraft dominated very quickly b/c there is not enough shear to separate the two).  Not to mention you have decent capping between about 650-550mb as shown on several soundings.  Plus you have pretty decent height rises aloft.  Stuff may try to get going but it's going to have trouble getting past 10-12k in height I would imagine.  

probably see some brief heavy rainers producing torrential downpours and maybe a few lightning strikes if lucky.  Just don't see anything developing substantial enough to produce lots of lightning.  

It is interesting though to see the HRRR spit out scattered activity.  We have had setups this summer where several parameters looked pretty solid but it showed nothing.  

I still really don't like the setup today...I think anything that tries to develop is quickly going to become downdraft dominated and too early to introduce wet microburst potential.  

Well--since you're the severe guru, I'll take your word for it.  I'll still hope for a rumble.

Archived