joxey
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A whopping 22 mph lol

that's it hmmm

seemed like some of those gusts were more than just 22 mph...for the most part I thought the strongest closed in on 30 but a few I thought may have closed in on 40 based on the way the trees were moving and how some leaves were being ripped off.  

sigh...I need to get myself a wind instrument 

that's it hmmm

seemed like some of those gusts were more than just 22 mph...for the most part I thought the strongest closed in on 30 but a few I thought may have closed in on 40 based on the way the trees were moving and how some leaves were being ripped off.  

sigh...I need to get myself a wind instrument 

Out of the west I'm totally blocked by trees and a hill so hard to get much. 

Out of the west I'm totally blocked by trees and a hill so hard to get much. 

ahhh ok.  

our back window faces northwest and I'm on the 3rd floor so had some decent looks.  Some of the swaying was pretty good.  I took some video and I'll get it uploaded.  

Awesome cloud features too

ahhh ok.  

our back window faces northwest and I'm on the 3rd floor so had some decent looks.  Some of the swaying was pretty good.  I took some video and I'll get it uploaded.  

Awesome cloud features too

I'm time lapsing our Hartford camera. Can't wait to see how it turns out. 

I'm time lapsing our Hartford camera. Can't wait to see how it turns out. 

I can't wait to see that!  it should look fantastic.  I was thinking of doing the same myself b/c it was cool watching some of the features evolve.  

Like in this picture...I watched that elongate from just one tiny cloud

11696020_636716773095780_461294623530104

Beaver tail?????

Now that you mention that this is a possibility...it was developing into the storm's updraft but I'm not sure how common they are outside of supercell structures.  

This really though might be more in the way of scud really...sort of ragged looking.  I think true beaver tail's are much more organized and have a good solid distinct shape 

Wtf? I am closer to the MA border than the shoreline by about 5 miles...which would make my town pretty darn close to central from a latitude perspective. But if you have to throw it into a N or S bucket, it is N. I'd bet Steve is slightly N too.

Let's just call Tolland the "highlands" and everywhere south and east the "lowlands".

I am closer to ORH than him, lol, suburban Tolland is definitely associated with HFD

Now that you mention that this is a possibility...it was developing into the storm's updraft but I'm not sure how common they are outside of supercell structures.  

I would think inflow is inflow. If low level moisture is there they can develop. Don't think you need a SC...although a SC tends to draw inflow from further distances creating longer tails...

I would think inflow is inflow. If low level moisture is there they can develop. Don't think you need a SC...although a SC tends to draw inflow from further distances creating longer tails...

I did also get it in the video I took so once that's done uploading I'll post...might be easier to verify from video than photo.  I hope the video was able to capture the speed of the development.  It was awesome.  but there was just a ton of inflow going right into the storm...rising clouds/scud all around 

I did also get it in the video I took so once that's done uploading I'll post...might be easier to verify from video than photo.  I hope the video was able to capture the speed of the development.  It was awesome.  but there was just a ton of inflow going right into the storm...rising clouds/scud all around 

I'm sure we realize this, but still an interesting read.

Beaver('s) Tail - [slang], a particular type of inflow band with a relatively broad, flat appearance suggestive of a beaver's tail. It is attached to a supercell's general updraft and is oriented roughly parallel to the pseudo-warm front, i.e., usually east to west or southeast to northwest. As with any inflow band, cloud elements move toward the updraft, i.e., toward the west or northwest. Its size and shape change as the strength of the inflow changes. See also inflow stinger.

Spotters should note the distinction between a beaver tail and a tail cloud. A "true" tail cloud typically is attached to the wall cloud and has a cloud base at about the same level as the wall cloud itself. A beaver tail, on the other hand, is not attached to the wall cloud and has a cloud base at about the same height as the updraft base (which by definition is higher than the wall cloud). Unlike the beaver tail, the tail cloud forms from air that is flowing from the storm's main precipitation cascade region (or outflow region). Thus, it can be oriented at a large angle to the pseudo-warm front.

No it isn't. No one associates the 2 except you..I will say they your area is def an extension of the IJD zone.,that is a connection folks make with your area . Ryan even agreed

lol you are closer to IJD than me, dude get a map.it's 14 miles for you 18 for me, www.distance-cities.com

Archived