joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could buy those models too..although BTV WRF at times has been aggressive.

Agree. This might sound kind of stupid and obvious but I don't ever take one individual run of any meso model particularly seriously. At times you will catch me looking and posting about every run but blending the trends/consensus in your head is my goal. It seems like everything slowly transitions north today as the day goes on. Seabreeze boundary over the east could affect things and amplify a cell or two. Pretty much everyone should rain today. Some models like right along the pike particularly. 

Seems like some seabreeze stuff may  help as well. I dunno..looks like one of those days with scattered random stuff. Tough to pin down best spots. 

Eh, I wouldn't roll with every run of that model. My take, is that any subtle boundary may ignite a few storms...sometimes even terrain helps.

HMMM...interesting

WE SHOULD SEE SCATTERED SHOWERS AND EMBEDDED

THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOP FURTHER NORTH ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTHERN NEW

ENGLAND THIS AFTERNOON. THERE ARE AT LEAST PEAKS OF SUN IN THIS

REGION AND THIS SHOULD ALLOW FOR MLCAPE VALUES FROM AROUND 1000 TO

1500 J/KG TO DEVELOP. IN ADDITION...WEAK WARM ADVECTION AND A

RELATIVELY UNCAPPED ATMOSPHERE WILL ASSIST IN SCATTERED SHOWER AND

THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT. ITS REALLY TOUGH TO PIN AN AREA THAT HAS

A HIGHER RISK OF SEEING MORE WIDESPREAD ACTIVITY. HOWEVER...SEA

BREEZE FRONT SHOULD DEVELOP ACROSS PORTIONS OF EASTERN MA WHICH MAY

PROVIDE A LITTLE BETTER FOCUS. ALSO MAYBE SOME TERRAIN INFLUENCES

WILL AID IN THE PROCESS.

These storms are going to pack a surprise for someone west of BOS a dozen or so miles inland. I could see a storm really going bonkers and taking advantage of the boundary. Wind fields are weak so that means the coast can and prob will seabreeze. Interior should be unstable. Weaker shear can be intensified into something slightly more meaningful. Localized flooding is possible for someone. Peabody saw a lot yesterday and more overnight so hopefully not there. But they should be on the marine side of the boundary.

We have a habit of drooling over parameters and EML's and mid level lapse rates but ignoring events when they are not particularly high. In E Mass the high shear days almost often leave us out of the picture because when we maximize shear in SNE the winds are S and SSE or SE and the west sees TOR warnings, but we see a marine layer that inhibits and destroys CU. What we have today is something marginal, but almost certain. I'll take that over spending an entire day with 2-3k cape and never breaking through the cap while I sweat my balls off for nothing for the Berks to see a SVR storm/I get my hopes up for elevated instability overnight that never delivers. I'd consider one lightning strike today a victory. I went to Fort Lauderdale for a week and didn't even see that the week of July 4. Saharan dust!

Agree. This might sound kind of stupid and obvious but I don't ever take one individual run of any meso model particularly seriously. At times you will catch me looking and posting about every run but blending the trends/consensus in your head is my goal. It seems like everything slowly transitions north today as the day goes on. Seabreeze boundary over the east could affect things and amplify a cell or two. Pretty much everyone should rain today. Some models like right along the pike particularly. 

I take the mesos as an ensemble in my head. It gives me an idea of how the evolution may be..and potential areas to highlight. I find that as a good way of getting the picture.

HMMM...interesting

WE SHOULD SEE SCATTERED SHOWERS AND EMBEDDED

THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOP FURTHER NORTH ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTHERN NEW

ENGLAND THIS AFTERNOON. THERE ARE AT LEAST PEAKS OF SUN IN THIS

REGION AND THIS SHOULD ALLOW FOR MLCAPE VALUES FROM AROUND 1000 TO

1500 J/KG TO DEVELOP. IN ADDITION...WEAK WARM ADVECTION AND A

RELATIVELY UNCAPPED ATMOSPHERE WILL ASSIST IN SCATTERED SHOWER AND

THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT. ITS REALLY TOUGH TO PIN AN AREA THAT HAS

A HIGHER RISK OF SEEING MORE WIDESPREAD ACTIVITY. HOWEVER...SEA

BREEZE FRONT SHOULD DEVELOP ACROSS PORTIONS OF EASTERN MA WHICH MAY

PROVIDE A LITTLE BETTER FOCUS. ALSO MAYBE SOME TERRAIN INFLUENCES

WILL AID IN THE PROCESS.

It's good to see them coming around to my thinking.

non-stop thunder / lightning here all morning, raining like a cow pi$$ing on a flat rock now, noah's ark type stuff

You guys have had like 10 hrs of on and off tstms.  Pretty impressive, and not much forcing either.  Just a bit of convergence and some forcing aloft.

Other than those terrain induced showers now in Mass..I don't see HFD to Green field getting too much action. Today has an east look to it

I love how you do this every summer. Non-stop whining about how you've gotten shut out from rain. These setups are almost always hit or miss and summer is notorious for several weeks of dry interspersed with heavy downpours. 

I love how you do this every summer. Non-stop whining about how you've gotten shut out from rain. These setups are almost always hit or miss and summer is notorious for several weeks of dry interspersed with heavy downpours.

Some summers our area gets storm after storm.. Some years just a few. It's always hit or miss. But never a summer of none

it's just insane down there...epic training...do you know what that left over convergence boundary is from?

There is a s/w too. It's unstable aloft, so even a weak LLJ convering on land or just running into a weak diffuse front can do it. In the summer...the atmosphere can be unstable aloft, so a mouse fart can ignite a CB.

Archived