Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

summer though, campers, recreational interests?

It's why I pulled the trigger on a SVR, but the problem is that nobody will call us with a report and we don't have much means to cold call ourselves if there are that few people in the warning.

Kind of a necessary "false alarm"

A little bit of a MARC signature too. Could be about to dump some wind.

The MARC velocity signature is a Doppler radar-based precursor towards forecasting the initial onset of damaging straight-line winds in a linear MCS or bowing convective system. One of the challenges in the severe storm warning process is forecasting the initial onset of damaging winds. Since the late 1970's, the bow echo reflectivity signature has been used extensively as a severe weather signature for forecasting damaging winds. However, storm surveys and observations have shown that damaging winds often precede the initial bowing of the convective line segment. Thus we looked at other reflectivity and velocity precursors in forecasting the initial onset of damaging winds.

I am no weather expert but I thought I might add my two cents to this conversation. I am about 10 miles south of Boston and we have had zero thunderstorms here this summer. Watching radar they will go just to the north and south but nothing in my little corner of Braintree. I will hear rumbles but nothing like the summers of just a few years ago where you would get at least a few good ones each summer. 

We will get all of the effects like a general cooling down and less humidity but zero thunderstorms. Some strange thing about my location. I do pay attention to the weather and quite a few people that live around here have made the same comment to me. 

Nice gravity wave couplet there Chris, quick pressure rise/fall wind couplet

3:20 PM	81 °F	62 °F	53 %	WNW	3 mph	9 mph	29.62 in	0 in	0 in
3:25 PM	81 °F	62 °F	53 %	WSW	4 mph	7 mph	29.62 in	0 in	0 in
3:30 PM	81 °F	62 °F	53 %	WNW	6 mph	9 mph	29.63 in	0 in	0 in
3:36 PM	80 °F	62 °F	54 %	South	17 mph	21 mph	29.65 in	0 in	0 in
3:41 PM	76 °F	59 °F	57 %	WNW	30 mph	39 mph	29.68 in	0.18 in	0.07 in
3:46 PM	67 °F	56 °F	67 %	NNW	18 mph	41 mph	29.7 in	        2.1 in	0.35 in
3:51 PM	63 °F	54 °F	74 %	NNW	2 mph	18 mph	29.67 in	2.04 in	0.41 in
3:56 PM	60 °F	55 °F	85 %	ENE	2 mph	11 mph	29.66 in	0.48 in	0.43 in
4:01 PM	61 °F	57 °F	88 %	SSE	0 mph	7 mph	29.66 in	0.12 in	0.43 in

We will get all of the effects like a general cooling down and less humidity but zero thunderstorms. Some strange thing about my location. I do pay attention to the weather and quite a few people that live around here have made the same comment to me.

It's just luck. I'll take the last two winters though.

Had a rouge clap of thunder out of blue skies here, and radar showed some rapidly developing cells on the west side of Mansfield and pushing ENE.  Just some brief rain and a gust of wind here, but here is a more recent radar scan.... that cell in the northern Champlain Valley looks pretty solid.

August1_zpscwc7hzs0.gif

Archived