CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking about the area when you go under the Verizano Bridge.

I have a low rise co-op just opposite the big cannon park. In summer a good portion of the medium height condo buildings are pretty well hidden from ( belt parkway) view by the foliage. The buildings, although plain, are well kept. Sadly almost all the palatial estates of the past are long gone. The Shore Road street you are looking towards is relatively high. My co-op didn't even make the cat. 3 flood stage maps. Park the car and walk the Shore Road from 65th to the cannon park, at the foot of the bridge. It's definitely more urban but still might give you a different feel.

I have a low rise co-op just opposite the big cannon park. In summer a good portion of the medium height condo buildings are pretty well hidden from ( belt parkway) view by the foliage. The buildings, although plain, are well kept. Sadly almost all the palatial estates of the past are long gone. The Shore Road street you are looking towards is relatively high. My co-op didn't even make the cat. 3 flood stage maps. Park the car and walk the Shore Road from 65th to the cannon park, at the foot of the bridge. It's definitely more urban but still might give you a different feel.

Urban and Beach just don't gel well together for me. Maybe it's because that's I am used to.

Mid Atlantic coast is increasingly becoming a artificial environment. Property values superseded all other interests to the point that nearly all beaches are supplemented by dredging and bull dozers. Kids have now grown up and don't even know what a wrack line is since giant tractors rake the sand into a sterile powder every night.

I do get a nostalgic feeling when I smell the creosote of the Wildwood boards though.

Mid Atlantic coast is increasingly becoming a artificial environment. Property values superseded all other interests to the point that nearly all beaches are supplemented by dredging and bull dozers. Kids have now grown up and don't even know what a wrack line is since giant tractors rake the sand into a sterile powder every night.

I do get a nostalgic feeling when I smell the creosote of the Wildwood boards though.

Just saw a program the other night on Ocean City and it's looks like a nice place to visit or buy a vacation house.

http://realestate.oceancitycondosandhomes.com/idx/photogallery/a216/498866

They are transitioning to concrete in spots now. Long Beach fortified the central section of the

boardwalk along the edges with concrete to hold up better after Sandy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/city-moves-convert-coney-island-boardwalk-concrete-article-1.2058707

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/01/12/despite_outrage_concrete_likely_for_coney_island_boardwalk.php

Interesting read. Thanks.

Nothing beats the Wildwood Boardwalk. Been going there since I was a toddler.

Exactly, so have I. It's something great to see as a kid, and I really appreciated it as a young teen.

Interesting read. Thanks.

Exactly, so have I. It's something great to see as a kid, and I really appreciated it as a young teen.

The new Long Beach boardwalk is gorgeous if you ever get a chance to visit. On a few occasions I did 30-40

mile bike rides on the old one when it still had the loose boards bouncing up under my tires. They used screws 

instead of nails to secure the new hardwood planks that are supposed have a much longer lifespan.

The new Long Beach boardwalk is gorgeous if you ever get a chance to visit. On a few occasions I did 30-40

mile bike rides on the old one when it still had the loose boards bouncing up under my tires. They used screws 

instead of nails to secure the new hardwood planks that are supposed have a much longer lifespan.

Cool, I'd love to visit if I got a chance. I remember when I went down to Point Pleasant 2 or 3 years ago and they were installing all that nice new Trex decking. Pretty rugged.

Cool, I'd love to visit if I got a chance. I remember when I went down to Point Pleasant 2 or 3 years ago and they were installing all that nice new Trex decking. Pretty rugged.

just did my deck with that-(Azak actually) great stuf-no more staining, splinters or rot.   Cost a lot,  but worth it.

Yes. I go to Wildwood every Summer and there's nothing that compares to it. Big Boardwalk, tons of food and games, rides, and free beaches. The Crest is really nice too. It has the best hotels and the Doo Wop District, not to mention it's not to far from the boardwalk. Seaside, Ortley, so on are all great too.

I also go to Wildwood every summer. I am going in two weeks. I stay in Wildwood crest. I love it there. Boardwalk is beautiful and alot of good food down there.

just did my deck with that-(Azak actually) great stuf-no more staining, splinters or rot.   Cost a lot,  but worth it.

Yeah man. That's some pricey stuff but you get what you pay for. Haven't been back to see how it's holding up in Point Pleasant, but I bet it's still like brand new.

I also go to Wildwood every summer. I am going in two weeks. I stay in Wildwood crest. I love it there. Boardwalk is beautiful and alot of good food down there.

Agreed. The Summer in the Crest is like no other.

Yeah man. That's some pricey stuff but you get what you pay for. Haven't been back to see how it's holding up in Point Pleasant, but I bet it's still like brand new.

Agreed. The Summer in the Crest is like no other.

Ever ate at Rusty Rudder?Little Italy?Ravioli House?Duffers?

Ever ate at Rusty Rudder?Little Italy?Ravioli House?Duffers?

Actually looked at going to the Rusty Rudder this year, and Duffers I have for sure. As for the other two, I haven't tried them actually. Here's some boardwalk spots we always liked: Auntie Anne's Pretzels, Mack's and Sam's Pizza, and of course, no one could forget Kohr's Ice Cream.

Actually looked at going to the Rusty Rudder this year, and Duffers I have for sure. As for the other two, I haven't tried them actually. Here's some boardwalk spots we always liked: Auntie Anne's Pretzels, Mack's and Sam's Pizza, and of course, no one could forget Kohr's Ice Cream.

I usually stay at the Cara Mara Motel

6jdq28.jpg

Duffers have great icecream. Big portions lol. Ever been to Cape May or Stone Harbor?

Peak of Perseid soon, can't wait..

There are two bats that fly a large circle around my house every night at this time..

August is solid, best month of the summer.. the sunsets lately have been phenomenal

Yep! Can't wait. A few more days. I was going to go to Montauk to watch but I chose Catskills so I can do some decent milky way photography as well.

Yep! Can't wait. A few more days. I was going to go to Montauk to watch but I chose Catskills so I can do some decent milky way photography as well.

I just updated to Lightroom 6.1, and the new "dehaze" slider works wonders at minimizing the effects of light pollution on night sky images. I'm amazed at how much more detail I've been able to coax out of Milky Way images with this new tool. It's hardly worth buying into the CC just for one feature, but it's definitely something to look out for.

Archived