joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood the fascination with achieving a heat wave persay. It's been warmer than normal with high humidity, isn't that sufficient?

Eh, I made it two days here, and on last day, which was today, I fell a degree short. Since it was so close It might as well just have been 90° so at least I could say there was an official heatwave. In my mind it pretty much was though.

I don't get the whole fascination with heat, I mean I understand that people really like it, but I don't see what the big deal is in terms of excitable weather. Some people act (a few have actually said it) like they would rank an extreme heatwave alongside the most exciting weather event they've lived through. All it is, is stagnant air that does nothing, even if you absolutely love the heat how can you compare it to driving snow or rain with 60+ mph winds? But to each their own I guess..

I don't get the whole fascination with heat, I mean I understand that people really like it, but I don't see what the big deal is in terms of excitable weather. Some people act (a few have actually said it) like they would rank an extreme heatwave alongside the most exciting weather event they've lived through. All it is, is stagnant air that does nothing, even if you absolutely love the heat how can you compare it to driving snow or rain with 60+ mph winds? But to each their own I guess..

The vast majority of society can't fathom our fascination with snow and severe wx in general. Extreme temperature events and trends are fun, especially in the absence of precip and wind events.

Your point is valid..I def get it. I also think that its just a fascination with noteworthy weather events in general. So heat is just one of many noteworthy or extreme events of interest.  Departures from the norm is worth studying..whether its intense heat in the summer or brutal cold in the winter.

Really where were you? We had jack in south wantagh

Getting dark on the upper west side can seethe storms off to the nw nice heights on the tops

I was in Massapequa last night. It didn't hit us over there either, but I was amazed to see an isolated and strong thunderstorm begin its life over Queens (rather than in PA or NNJ) and hold through til Smithtown. Maybe it isn't all that rare for something like that to happen, but I've certainly never seen it before. 

After seeing it begin to take shape on radar over Astoria, I hustled outside and watched the lightning soar high into the clouds for about an hour as it made its approach and then leave the area. 

I was in Massapequa last night. It didn't hit us over there either, but I was amazed to see an isolated and strong thunderstorm begin its life over Queens (rather than in PA or NNJ) and hold through til Smithtown. Maybe it isn't all that rare for something like that to happen, but I've certainly never seen it before.

After seeing it begin to take shape on radar over Astoria, I hustled outside and watched the lightning soar high into the clouds for about an hour as it made its approach and then leave the area.

This is the time of year for it as water temps are warm. The farmingdale tornado of the mid 90s is the best example. Also the new Hyde park super hail late 2000s another great example

This is the time of year for it as water temps are warm. The farmingdale tornado of the mid 90s is the best example. Also the new Hyde park super hail late 2000s another great example

The tornadic Farmingdale storm looked really impressive from my vantage point in Long Beach that evening.

Hard to believe that this is already the 20th anniversary.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/gif/FRG_VEL.gif

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/gif/FRG_REF.gif

High of 99 in downtown Austin today, 98 at the airport. We should make it to our first 100 this weekend, and then probably many days thereafter as long as this ridge sits around. Temps have been crawling up methodically as the ground has dried out from the spring deluge. It's been 90 or above for almost 4 straight weeks. We actually have a lot of brown grass/ground now, so there's little ground moisture left to cool the air. It hasn't rained here in about a month. The positive is that the dewpoint's dropped a little, but is expected to come up with a SE flow from the Gulf. As is the heat index probably hit 105 this afternoon-it was stifling when I left work at about 5:30 this afternoon. 

I heard from some people that "if you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 20 minutes". :lmao:

Yeah, try 20 weeks. 

Good to see Long Beach ranked as the 5th best beach town in the US to explore on foot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/redfin/the-best-beach-towns-to-e_b_7851798.html

1. Santa Cruz, California - Walk Score 97

2. Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Walk Score 95

3. Coronado, California- Walk Score 94

4. Newport, Rhode Island - Walk Score 94

5. Long Beach, New York - Walk Score 87

6. Ocean City, New Jersey - Walk Score 86

7. Seaside, Oregon - Walk Score 86

8. Lahaina, Hawaii - Walk Score 84

High of 99 in downtown Austin today, 98 at the airport. We should make it to our first 100 this weekend, and then probably many days thereafter as long as this ridge sits around. Temps have been crawling up methodically as the ground has dried out from the spring deluge. It's been 90 or above for almost 4 straight weeks. We actually have a lot of brown grass/ground now, so there's little ground moisture left to cool the air. It hasn't rained here in about a month. The positive is that the dewpoint's dropped a little, but is expected to come up with a SE flow from the Gulf. As is the heat index probably hit 105 this afternoon-it was stifling when I left work at about 5:30 this afternoon. 

I heard from some people that "if you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 20 minutes". :lmao:

Yeah, try 20 weeks. 

that might get some heat going here since Texas is one of our source regions for heat in the NE.  Of course, we need a ridge to deliver the heat.

that might get some heat going here since Texas is one of our source regions for heat in the NE.  Of course, we need a ridge to deliver the heat.

99 again today!! :thumbsup:

The ridge is expected to retrograde west in about a week, so you'll likely have to keep waiting well into August for real heat. I don't know why people would want this though, it simply feels like a blast furnace in the afternoons now, and it's expected to get hotter this weekend and next week. 

Archived