Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Model Discussion for April

Quincy

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting trends for next week.

Regarding Sunday night, what looks like a SWFE, one obvious caution flag, and others chime in on how relevant this is:

For SNE, most of the models do not (yet) show intense snowfall rates. This ain't a blue bomb. We are talking 1-3 / 4-6 inches (depending on model) stretched over 6+ hours. The clown map depictions are less relevant in April with the obvious diurnal issues of sun angle and questionable boundary layer. So 1/2" / hr rates over 8 hours may add up to 4 inches in February, but may be a coating at best during the daytime in April.

Pretty much what happened in Boston area with the March 20-21 system.

12z GFS has better rates and might get it done. 18z and other models, I'm cautious. Just tempering excitement until we see more support for something like 12z GFS run.

Interesting trends for next week.

Regarding Sunday night, what looks like a SWFE, one obvious caution flag, and others chime in on how relevant this is:

For SNE, most of the models do not (yet) show intense snowfall rates. This ain't a blue bomb. We are talking 1-3 / 4-6 inches (depending on model) stretched over 6+ hours. The clown map depictions are less relevant in April with the obvious diurnal issues of sun angle and questionable boundary layer. So 1/2" / hr rates over 8 hours may add up to 4 inches in February, but may be a coating at best during the daytime in April.

Pretty much what happened in Boston area with the March 20-21 system.

12z GFS has better rates and might get it done. 18z and other models, I'm cautious. Just tempering excitement until we see more support for something like 12z GFS run.

It's currently modeled for mostly overnight for most folks.

It's currently modeled for mostly overnight for most folks.

That's fine, and these details are far off.

But just tempering some of the excitement until we see more robust rates consistently depicted. Mar20-21 was progged by many models to give 2-4 inches, and we did get hours of frequently moderate snow that just amounted to a coating on cars in Boston metro. Lotta white rain. Only with heavier rates (like south coast) was any accumulation possible.

I personally don't see any appreciable snow for most of us here in CT and RI. Sure, maybe a slushy coating in the NW Hills and NE Hills. Outside of that, forget it. CNE and NNE should clean up with this set up. And the idea that this snows to NYC or the Northern Suburbs of NYC is just plain silly IMO. But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so maybe I'll be wrong?

I personally don't see any appreciable snow for most of us here in CT and RI. Sure, maybe a slushy coating in the NW Hills and NE Hills. Outside of that, forget it. CNE and NNE should clean up with this set up. And the idea that this snows to NYC or the Northern Suburbs of NYC is just plain silly IMO. But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so maybe I'll be wrong?

Some have fogged goggles....ftl

That map doesn't make sense considering the time of year in that it hits the CRV a little harder than it does interior ne MA.

It won't verify like that.

I think it will come down to latitude, especially for nighttime snows. Proximity to the frigid Atlantic shouldn't be a problem. If MLs end up supporting snow, we snow.

Otherwise, very reasonable.

That map doesn't make sense considering the time of year in that it hits the CRV a little harder than it does interior ne MA.

It won't verify like that.

I think it will come down to latitude, especially for nighttime snows. Proximity to the frigid Atlantic shouldn't be a problem. If MLs end up supporting snow, we snow.

Otherwise, very reasonable.

Well, the very crux of what I was getting at was that the ocean is not going to be much of a modifier at this juncture.

That snowfall distribution is more suitable for December. 

Us only getting half of what ORH gets is very understandable give the time of year...no issues with that.

If the bulk occurs at night, though, I could see it being a bit less dramatic.

If anything, we could very well do better than the CTV owing to the fact that the effects of any downsloping can be accentuated at this time of year.

Well, the very crux of what I was getting at was the the ocean is not going to be much of a modifier at this juncture.

That is snowfall distribution more suitable for December.

Us only getting half of what ORH gets is very understandable give the time of year...no issues with that.

If the bulk occurs at night, though, I could see it being a bit less dramatic.

Agreed. I wonder what the normal SST is now. Low to mid 40s? It's mid to upper 30s right now? I wonder if models factor in climo when forecasting the BL. Typically an April snowfall distribution would resemble one from December. Perhaps this year is the exception.

Agreed. I wonder what the normal SST is now. Low to mid 40s? It's mid to upper 30s right now? I wonder if models factor in climo when forecasting the BL. Typically an April snowfall distribution would resemble one from December. Perhaps this year is the exception.

Well, again.....December, outside of SWFE, may very well favor the CRV over our area.

Not this time of year, though....especially given the ssts in the mid-upper 30's, ass opposed to the low-mid 40's norm for early April.

Archived