• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

Yeah it annoys the hell out of me lol. You'll see them go like 6 days of sunny skies and 55F in March, then as soon as storm clouds roll in it's 28F and snowing heavily. Next day there's 12" of snow, then the sun comes out and it goes back to 50F.

Here we'll have like a string of sunny days and brutal cold like the past 48 hours, only to have it warm up enough to rain, then it goes back into the freezer. I like their way better haha.

And when they are 50F, the snow doesn't even melt fast. They are 50/10 nape tanner days with basically no wind. It's funny looking at the coop snow depths there...they drop like 1 inch per day (or sometimes no drop) when they have a string of 45-50F days in February. It starts dropping quicker in late March and April, but still nothing like the 6" per day pack-destroyers we get here when its 51/44 and a stiff SW wind. :lol:

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like every spring the Euro does this and the pansie prancers and tulip tiptoes get all excited about spring settling in..and instead either a backdoor from hell happens instead or we get some strong cold fropa with NW flow. I'd be willing to bet that Euro warmth never makes it anywhere near New England later next week.

Remember, you'll be a pansy prancer in a couple weeks when the -DIT goes to +DIT.... Then you'll say, "The GFS does this every spring and I'd bet the mild down never gets anywhere near New England."

It's amazing how quickly the snow went away here...good b/c the bare ground can now start drying out some...at least until it rains but goid

Yeah new snow goes very quick with late March snow.  The glaciated old stuff is MUCH more durable.  That being said it still slowly melts in full sun even if the temperatures stay below freezing in the shade.  It only got to about 25F up here at my place in Central NH but still noticed some melting in the full sun areas today.  It's a mid September type sun now so even the durable stuff takes a beating abit slower.

Remember, you'll be a pansy prancer in a couple weeks when the -DIT goes to +DIT.... Then you'll say, "The GFS does this every spring and I'd bet the mild down never gets anywhere near New England."

I could not find that kev quote in the thread, but i would agree with him right now that i would not count on that day 9-11 warmth. Nice to see air 30c colder lurking just north of Maine (10c to pike and -20 - -24c air N of Maine)

Archived