• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

The most amazing part about that event is we were up late at night waitjng for the NAM/GFS like a winter event more than 36 hours out. Rarely up here do we ever really get obsessed with soundings more than 24h out...but that one had "the look" so to speak even a couple days out.

Totally felt like the lead in to a big day at DVN. Picking apart 06z guidance for changes in the potential outbreak.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that everybody is looking for failure modes in that thread early on but can't really find them. Ha.

One of the killers is that morning debris junk that seems to happen more often than not. Once the early morning severe cleared by like 9am, it was SKC to Michigan. Game on at that point.

Even the first two pages are a good read.

Two things I noticed: One the love for NW flow events. Ryan nailed it, the can often be sneaky but can maximize shear even when winds at the surface have a decent westerly component. And two, the anecdotal talk about CAPE over shear in New England. The talk was pretty unanimous about that. But it makes sense because we almost always have at least marginal shear in place being so far north. More often than not we lack the instability, so if we get the CAPE we get the severe.

We all melt. Just not completely.

I'm surprised there's been no discussion yet about a flood threat.  I see potential for about 1" of rainfall on average across inland SNE/CNE on Thursday where there is roughly 4" SWE.  Assuming we lose half of that in the torch-fest, that's 3" of water released from an already-ripe snow pack.  Fortunately, FFG numbers are all above 3" per 6 hours, so maybe we'll dodge the bullet.  But something to watch.

Even the first two pages are a good read.

Two things I noticed: One the love for NW flow events. Ryan nailed it, the can often be sneaky but can maximize shear even when winds at the surface have a decent westerly component. And two, the anecdotal talk about CAPE over shear in New England. The talk was pretty unanimous about that. But it makes sense because we almost always have at least marginal shear in place being so far north. More often than not we lack the instability, so if we get the CAPE we get the severe.

Big CAPE equals big fun. Good CAPE can do a lot of strange things with a downdraft, even if shear lacks. I know you know that, just saying.

Big CAPE equals big fun. Good CAPE can do a lot of strange things with a downdraft, even if shear lacks. I know you know that, just saying.

Heck your area can even see decent severe mid summer when the sea breeze convergence is enough to pop the cap. No shear, just pulse up to quarters and gust out.

Heck your area can even see decent severe mid summer when the sea breeze convergence is enough to pop the cap. No shear, just pulse up to quarters and gust out.

Yeah I've seen that a few times when I was down in Brockton. Been a while since I can remember a good seabreeze setup.

It probably got bumped at some point way after the fact. One reason why locking the threads makes it really nice for archiving.

Yeah good call...definitely a pet peeve of mine when I go looking for an old event thread, like say a winter storm thread, only to eventually track it down through the Search function and find it was bumped on some random August day.

yeah I had to go to the 2012 southern New England weather conference just to recap all those events from 2011, it was awesome and Sandy was breathing down our necks right during the conference you could tell half the people in there were checking their phones and tablets for the latest model runs. Just an incredibly epic stretch of weather.

Archived