• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

No, not yet. While I'm not totally certain I'll build this year, it's impossible to begin construction right now anyway as there's still about a 40" pack up there per NOHRSC. After that it's mud season, which probably lasts until mid May there. If I don't build this year, it should be next.

do you have a design/blueprints ready? land for a garden?

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

Snow was just starting to pick up as I was leaving the house this morning, with a few tenths of an inch down on the board.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 32.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

Was snowing in town but it was more like a white rain really.  Big nice flakes falling up here at the ski area.  A half inch at 1,500ft and now 1-2" up above 3,000ft.

It seems to be coming down at a reasonable rate at the house, with another half inch or so per web cam.  Here in Burlington it seems to be generally rain as far as I can tell with no accumulation.

What's their total for the season? Do they have the most in all of NE not including mountains?

Not sure John, Oceanstwx probably can answer this better then i can, I'm pretty sure they should be close to the top of the list if not number 1 i would think based on there ongoing snowfall all season

What's their total for the season? Do they have the most in all of NE not including mountains?

Don't know their season total (my guess would be about 140"), but a statement from CAR noted that Eastport's 82" for February was the greatest single month total for which that office has records.  Tops I've found for Maine is 88" at Long Falls Dam in February 1969, with 56" coming from Jeff's avatar storm.  Pinkham Notch measured 130" that month, with 77" from that storm, and max depth 164".

We actually changed over to light rain for a time this morning even up to 2,000ft... but now it is wind-whipped snow falling out there at least down through 1,500ft.

Upslope signal starting to show up now as the cold air advection begins...

March17a_zpsaxvbxsat.gif

More moisture moving in too from New York and Quebec...

March17b_zpsepfjwx9r.gif

We actually changed over to light rain for a time this morning even up to 2,000ft... but now it is wind-whipped snow falling out there at least down through 1,500ft.

Upslope signal starting to show up now as the cold air advection begins...

Just getting crushed. I'm at home and it's over 1" per hour. Mountain is getting 2-3"/hr it sounds like.

Getting smoked in town.

Yeah, I can see some big flakes on the web cam at home.  It does look like it warmed up at the house at some point today as you mentioned; we’d had about an inch this morning, which settled down with some warming, and now the accumulation is growing again with those big flakes and healthy intensity.  I’ll have to wait until I get home to do the full analysis, but it looks like the storm total is in the 2-3” range as of ~3:00 P.M.

Wind is nuts... easily the best wind of the winter.

Not blowing from the ideal direction to measure, but still recorded a 43 mph gust from the NE.

It's been OK here. There's been a few strong stray gusts, but I can't keep anything consistent over 20mph. Hit a peak of 41mph though.

It was crushing a graupully type of snow over at Sugarbush this afternoon, made for a very cool styrofoamy texture. The winds were also howling to the point of rediculousness after 2pm, holy cow. Every lift went down at 2:50 and for a good reason; Heavens Gate was rocking almost to the towers in the bigger gusts and Super Bravo was a little white-knuckle to say the least. The bonus was that Paradise had 3-4 inches of sweet windblown fresh. It got DEEP in spots.

Killer day out there before the winds took over. PF: Did any Stowe lifts go on hold?

Bulldog... the Gondola went on wind hold around 3pm, and Sunny Spruce Quad was on hold at 3:15pm.

The FourRunner Quad is a horse though. Here's a shot from the end of the day at the FourRunner base.

Just wild conditions. 2"/hr snow and winds up to 60mph.

image.jpg

Yeah very similar situation at Sugarbush. Judging from my experiences, The Forerunner does seem more burly than Bravo or Gate House, feels like it has just a ton of more power.

Either way today will go down as one of the windiest days I have ever skied; in fact, I think the only place I've seen windier is on Chair 23 next to the Mammoth saddle! The sheer blast of air in the exposed places today did feel like a Sierran ridge gust following a strong cold front.

Wow impressive shots!

It only lasted for 2 hours but it was like a short duration blizzard. Probably the best combo of wind and heavy snow of the season. Cars were literally just stopped dead on Mountain Rd/108 to wait for the wind to temporarily subside. The snow was already heavy enough to restrict vis to 1/4-1/8sm, but with the wind it dropped to literally 0sm or 1/16sm vis.

Archived