Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.02” L.E.

There was 0.1” of snow on the boards when we got home from skiing today.  I suspect it was much fluffier earlier, but I could see that it had melted down somewhat due to sun and or marginal temperatures around freezing in our area.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.4 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 18.0 inches

It was dumping up at Stowe today, I added a couple of images below from near the end of the day at ~1,500’ in the Spruce Peak Base Area.

08MAR15D.jpg

08MAR15B.jpg

Nice shots, J!  Those sized flakes are still falling steadily to heavily out there this morning. 

I saw some other ski area reports like Bolton with 3" and Jay with 3-5"...was surprised and had to go back outside and walk around to make sure my stake was legit.  It is, the snow is like boot deep here in the base area.

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.05” L.E.

We’ve got some nice dendrites here, and it’s great to see that the snow continued at the mountain PF; should be a good day on the slopes with that new addition!

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 36.7

Snow Density: 2.7% H2O

Temperature: 26.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-6mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.5 inches

700 miles in Millinockett. Fantastic conditions. Looking to get one more ride this wknd or next, but trails locally starting to look beat. Amazing what a couple days of warmth will do. After this week, it'll be slim pickings although there are a couple places up near Andover that retain the snow really well, so will likely go there.

Also, really want that 5" to push me into the century club.

700 miles in Millinockett. Fantastic conditions. Looking to get one more ride this wknd or next, but trails locally starting to look beat. Amazing what a couple days of warmth will do. After this week, it'll be slim pickings although there are a couple places up near Andover that retain the snow really well, so will likely go there.

Also, really want that 5" to push me into the century club.

Only need 2.3" here.  06z gfs says not before 3/25.  I'm predicting another 3", to put the total into the tiny range occupied by 08-09, 10-11, and last winter.

Although spring is inevitable, the pow is awesome when its here.

20716_10102155954217330_4511060372440435

10981854_10102155959995750_2203867662061

attachicon.gifIMG_9145_edited-2.jpg

Although spring is inevitable, the pow is awesome when its here.

20716_10102155954217330_4511060372440435

10981854_10102155959995750_2203867662061

attachicon.gifIMG_9145_edited-2.jpg

Sweet pictures. Incredible conditions.  I wish that I was there.

Anybody have any thoughts on this weekend??  Climo taking over to deliver storm north?  GFS looks promising (at least there is threat to track) with precip that lingers in the mountains as modeled.  850 line is concerning, especially when you consider Euro is north. I know its early but have big weekend at Sugarbush planned and have Friday off.  Switch the day off to Monday and hope for the best or take a bluebird Friday in hand?  

For Dryslot and Lava Rock.  Here is a piece done by the CBS affiliate in our area about snowmobiling.  It was filmed on our trail system and shows how good a condition they are in.

http://www.wcax.com/story/28308594/is-the-vt-snowmobiling-industry-making-a-comeback

Question which you may be answer:  Are there any speed restrictions on Vermont trails? How about for nighttime?  

The reason I ask is I was driving home on Route 2 (the northern 1 of the 3 in NE) the other evening, well after dark.  Coming out of St. J there is a stretch where the trail system run between Routes 2 and 2B.  I was doing 50/55 on the highway and on the trail there was a pack of sleds going faster than I was and easily pulling away from me.  The trail there is a nice converted rail trail but it is through woods.  It didn't strike me as the safest practice and made me curious.

Sweet pictures. Incredible conditions. I wish that I was there.

Anybody have any thoughts on this weekend?? Climo taking over to deliver storm north? GFS looks promising (at least there is threat to track) with precip that lingers in the mountains as modeled. 850 line is concerning, especially when you consider Euro is north. I know its early but have big weekend at Sugarbush planned and have Friday off. Switch the day off to Monday and hope for the best or take a bluebird Friday in hand?

I'd think the higher elevations will do quite well up here this weekend.

Question which you may be answer:  Are there any speed restrictions on Vermont trails? How about for nighttime?  

The reason I ask is I was driving home on Route 2 (the northern 1 of the 3 in NE) the other evening, well after dark.  Coming out of St. J there is a stretch where the trail system run between Routes 2 and 2B.  I was doing 50/55 on the highway and on the trail there was a pack of sleds going faster than I was and easily pulling away from me.  The trail there is a nice converted rail trail but it is through woods.  It didn't strike me as the safest practice and made me curious.

There are speed restrictions in certain area.  On State land it is 35 mph.  Frozen water bodies are considered state highways and as such, if the speed limit is not shown it is 50 mph.  There are also areas that land owners have requested speed limits be posted.  Land owners can also have a trail curfewed in order to restrict late night riding.  f the riders you saw were on the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail, there is a 35 mph speed limit and an 11:00 pm - 6:00 am curfew.

After checking the BTV NWS forecast discussion for the weekend’s snow events, it looks like Saturday night’s accumulations were from a Clipper system, and Sunday’s afternoon/night’s accumulations were from a discrete upper level disturbance:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

111 PM EDT SUN MAR 8 2015

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 8 PM THIS EVENING/...

ANOTHER CHANCE FOR SNOW SHOWERS TODAY AS AN UPPER LEVEL

DISTURBANCE MAKES ITS WAY ACROSS SOUTHEASTERN CANADA. EXPECT

SCATTERED LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS TO CONCENTRATE AROUND HIGHER TERRAIN

AND ST LAWRENCE VALLEY THIS MORNING WITH SLIGHT TO LOW CHANCES IN

THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AS PERSISTENT SW FLOW ALLOWS FOR SHADOWING

EFFECTS. BETTER CHANCES FOR SNOW SHOWERS HEADING INTO THE

AFTERNOON WITH VORTICITY ASSOCIATED WITH THIS DISTURBANCE MOVING

ACROSS VT...EXITING SOUTHEASTERN VERMONT IN THE LATE

AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING HOURS. SOME LINGERING MOISTURE WILL

CONTINUE TO KEEP LOW CHANCE ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

I initially had all the weekend’s snowfall together as one storm, but it looks like I’ll need to break that apart, so the results will be:

Storm #44 3/7/2015:  Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.01” L.E.

Storm #45 3/8/2015:  Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.04” L.E.

Here’s what I’ve seen for yesterday’s storm totals from the Vermont ski areas listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 14”

Burke: 1”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 10”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 5”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 2”

The totals were certainly up and down, although apparently focused more on the Northern Greens.  It’s been a bit tough to figure out what exactly went on at Jay Peak, since the numerical reports are indicating 7” for a 48-hour total, but in the past two text reports they have explicitly indicated that the storm delivered 14”.  The current text in the Jay Peak snow report says:  “The snow switched off yesterday afternoon (after a 14" storm) and sunshine poured over the peak.”  Since they are specifically saying that, I’ve got that in my current list, but I’m not sure where the incongruence comes from.

Another nickle and dime event possible this weekend...

Saturday... Cloudy. Snow showers likely...mainly in the afternoon. Snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches. Highs in the upper 20s. Southwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Saturday Night... Cloudy. Snow showers likely...mainly until midnight. Total snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible. Lows around 14. Southwest winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable. Chance of snow 70 percent.

I just saw the Mansfield Coop recorded 1.1" of snow yesterday afternoon for the prior 24 hours. Ha. Haha. That's pretty much a full 9" less than what I had.

Yeah, based on your pictures from the mountain, I guess it’s just another one of those classic Northern Greens 1.1” “dust on crust” days, which typically means more than dust, and no crust.  I also like that Mansfield pulled of a “dime” event just like you said was possible.  Oh well, if nickel and dime stuff is all that’s possible with the pattern this week, one has to make due.

For Dryslot and Lava Rock.  Here is a piece done by the CBS affiliate in our area about snowmobiling.  It was filmed on our trail system and shows how good a condition they are in.

http://www.wcax.com/story/28308594/is-the-vt-snowmobiling-industry-making-a-comeback

nice report. Dropping registrations by nearly half in last 12 yrs is a lot of lost revenue, but it sounds like the pendulum is swinging back in a more positive direction.

nice report. Dropping registrations by nearly half in last 12 yrs is a lot of lost revenue, but it sounds like the pendulum is swinging back in a more positive direction.

The numbers started dropping when VT instituted mandatory liability insurance and then there were a couple of lower snow years.

Archived