• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

Haha yeah. This is one of the more frustrating good winters for sure...especially this second half since January 24th. The first half was actually really good and exciting up here even if the snowfall wasn't ridiculous. Lots of storms living on the edge of the rain/snow line for the first half of winter.

The skiing has been phenomenal though so that's kept me from losing it a few times with all the near misses haha.

Nickels and dimes are still valid legal tender.  Amazing how much gas you can buy with change. 

I'm pretty certain we'll have another big storm or two. There is always something in April and May and i'd doubt March goes without doing something exciting. 

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nickels and dimes are still valid legal tender. Amazing how much gas you can buy with change.

I'm pretty certain we'll have another big storm or two. There is always something in April and May and i'd doubt March goes without doing something exciting.

As we get closer to the Equinox, my golfing jones grows so I hope any big snow events come sooner rather than later.

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.01" L.E.

Today's snow was rather unexpected; there was 0.7" from the secondary frontal passage and upslope enhancement.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 70.0

Snow Density: 1.4% H2O

Temperature: 14.1 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 18.5"

The weather pattern certainly suggests continued potential for snow, with four possible storms through next weekend shown on the latest GFS.  These prognosticated systems are in the northern stream, with the first this weekend, the second Mon/Tue, the third Wed/Thu, and a fourth next weekend.  The forecast for the first one has the most confidence of course, with the possibility of several inches of snow for the local mountains as mentioned in the BTV NWS forecast discussion:

NEXT NORTHERN STREAM S/W ENERGY AND ASSOCIATED RIBBON OF ENHANCED 850 TO 500MB MOISTURE APPROACHES OUR WESTERN CWA BY 06Z SATURDAY. AS WITH MANY CLIPPER LIKE SYSTEMS...MOISTURE WILL BE LIMITED WITH PWS VALUES BTWN 0.20 AND 0.25"...RESULTING IN A LIGHT ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL. SNOWFALL WILL RANGE FROM A DUSTING TO SEVERAL INCHES IN THE MOUNTAINS. WILL MENTION LIKELY POPS NORTHERN DACKS INTO THE MOUNTAINS OF CENTRAL/NORTHERN VT...WITH CHC ELSEWHERE.

It looks like there's the potential for a reasonably snowy period coming up according to the graphical point forecast:

05MAR15B.jpg

Eye on the Sky reported it is -30f in Pittsburg this morning.  St. J low looks to have been -17.  It was -9f at my house.  My dog was laying on top of a 6 foot high snow pile, licking his paws and sunning himself as happy as could be.  He will be miserable when we hit 60 again.

Minus 22 or 23 this morning, 10 days at -20 or colder. I anticipate -5 to -10 tomorrow morning, and perhaps some zero or below late next week. After that, odds are quite low - in 16 years I've had 11 subzero days after the Ides of March, 5 of which (and the only ones colder than -5) came last year.

Another nickle and dime event possible this weekend...

Saturday... Cloudy. Snow showers likely...mainly in the afternoon. Snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches. Highs in the upper 20s. Southwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Saturday Night... Cloudy. Snow showers likely...mainly until midnight. Total snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible. Lows around 14. Southwest winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.01” L.E.

There was 0.8” of very fluffy snow on the boards this morning.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 80.0

Snow Density: 1.3% H2O

Temperature: 15.3 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 18.5 inches

Radar is lighting up and we are now getting a pretty good fizzard down in town.  Really coming down up at the mountain though when I just left.

March_8_zpszfnf1hep.gif

Yeah we just had a brief burst lowering vis to 1/4 mile. It is a paste job :)

Turned into a nice wintery later afternoon. 

Been having a couple hours of at least light snow, with occasional periods of moderate to briefly heavy snow.  The obs at MVL haven't been that impressive, but there I think we may have hit heavy snow criteria for a short period of time.  Had some heavy graupel earlier too. 

Amazing how high in the sky the sun was at 5pm.  Had 0.7" so far from the various snow showers and squalls.

IMG_8985_edited-1_zpsi4jww3ix.jpg

IMG_8984_edited-1_zps6vyfwxnz.jpg

IMG_8965_edited-2_zpsdrjj0prz.jpg

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.02” L.E.

There was 0.1” of snow on the boards when we got home from skiing today.  I suspect it was much fluffier earlier, but I could see that it had melted down somewhat due to sun and or marginal temperatures around freezing in our area.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.4 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 18.0 inches

It was dumping up at Stowe today, I added a couple of images below from near the end of the day at ~1,500’ in the Spruce Peak Base Area.

08MAR15D.jpg

08MAR15B.jpg

Archived