Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got a wildlife preserve there.

It was really quiet all winter, but it has picked up since the pack melted. I've already seen a bear, deer, opposums, skunks, and a coyote in the past couple weeks. The usual suspects. Still waiting on my first bobcat and moose.

post-3-0-89797900-1429965831_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-91637000-1429965808_thumb.jpg

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/1.21” L.E.

There was another tenth of an inch of snow accumulation at the house yesterday morning, but that’s all I saw before I headed off to Burlington.  It was a decent coating at 500’ though:

24APR15A.jpg

The snow on the ground disappeared incredibly quickly as I headed west; literally a few hundred yards along Route 2 below the pass by the rest area, the ground was bare.  There were some nice views through the Winooski Valley though, with the snowline just sitting above the lowest elevations.  Here’s a shot from just west of Jonesville, where you can see the snow line just off the deck, with a few faint patches of new snow along the road here and there:

24APR15B.jpg

The ground was generally bare into Burlington, but there were a few spots in Richmond and Williston where there was some accumulation again.  I had a couple pairs of skis on my car rack and my ski gear was packed and ready for a potential visit to the slopes later in the day, but from views of the Bolton Valley Web Cam, the new snow seemed pretty windblown and not quite to the levels that would make it worth a visit.

This morning there’s a bit of slushy snow on the back deck left over from yesterday, and the crusty snowbanks across from the end of the driveway are hanging on, but yesterday was the last day with leftover natural snow from the season.  Coincidentally, that end to the snowpack is just one day earlier than last season.  So, the continuous snowpack period this year was from November 27th to April 24th for 149 days in total.  Last year was pretty similar, but slightly long at 155 days, mostly due to an earlier start of the snowpack on November 22nd.

We had some additional snow falling last night, but it never picked up to intensity of Thursday night’s snow.  We’ve had flurries around all morning, but no additional accumulation to report aside from that additional from yesterday morning.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 35.2 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: Trace

Wow look at the gradient up near CAR...140" for Caribou and FVE area with only 77". Was far northern Maine one of the lowest spots in New England?

And is that above normal for the Maine foothills?

95" at Farmington is 6" AN - whoopee!  The 87" appears to be Phillips, and is slightly BN for that location.  The low snow slice in NW Maine must be an extrapolation of the gradient, as I don't think there are any remaining coop sites there since Clayton and Allagash went off the air a few years back.

Spent Thurs-Sat at Pittston Farm, NW of Moosehead Lake.  The 2-3" Wed night had melted by the time we arrived about 3 PM Thurs, then flakes began 7 AM Friday and continued thru noon Sat, no accum during daylight but 1.5" overnight.  Friday max temp was 39-40, not bad for mid-August sun angle.  Still 10-20" on north slopes and in the black growth.

High for this month to date is 64, on the 13th, which ties last year for my weakest April max, and 4/14 reached that mark 3 days.  Only other April not making at least 70 was 1999, with 2 @ 65.

Archived