• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

Pretty big difference in snowfall around here between even 750ft and 900ft. 

Highest I saw last night before bed was 0.4" at home, and it all melted off the grass and cars by 11am this morning. 

However just a couple miles up the road, a more heavier coating shows up around 800-850ft and then by 900ft there's snow on the trees and the shaded spots that haven't melted yet showed the grass fully covered, indicating they probably got 1-2" or so just 150ft higher than me.  But there's also a proximity issue as they are a couple miles closer to the Spine.  This is still sitting on the ground around 1pm in late April at 900ft.

attachicon.gifApril24.jpg

Longest house ever.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only some of the Vermont ski areas are reporting now since it’s fairly late in the season, but I’ve put together the north to south listing of snow totals from this storm so far:

Jay Peak: 8”

Sugarbush: 3”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 0”

As one would expect, the totals taper off from north to south, and although there are only a few resorts reporting, I bet that interpolating between the available reports would give one a decent idea of what’s fallen at the unlisted resorts.

PF, what have your sources told you about the accumulations on Mansfield thus far?

Totally unscientific but I've heard 3-4" overnight up high. I didn't get to skin up today but some of the more enthusiastic people are saying 6"...though a snowcat driver I trust said 3-4" so I'd go with that.

Surprised at the Jay amount being that high but up at the summits with wind and stuff who knows. Had a friend who stayed overnight in a condo unit said he had about 3" on his car this morning at their 1,800ft base.

Edit: I thought that was 8" last night at Jay. But checked and it's a 48-hour total, with 3-4" last night. So that makes sense.

3-4 they reported seems accurate

Yup I just saw the 8" amount and thought that was overnight.

But it does suck that most have to second guess Jays snowfall. I've always thought if I were them I'd be posting photos of stakes and any way to substantiate the snowfall reports. Heck they've never had a web cam.

I'm just glad I have a good rapport with the locals in terms of snowfall and try to be as transparent as possible.

Yup I just saw the 8" amount and thought that was overnight.

But it does suck that most have to second guess Jays snowfall. I've always thought if I were them I'd be posting photos of stakes and any way to substantiate the snowfall reports. Heck they've never had a web cam.

I'm just glad I have a good rapport with the locals in terms of snowfall and try to be as transparent as possible.

Yeah, they've kind of developed a reputation over the years as inflating their amounts.

But it's funny because they are in a ridiculously good spot for snow, so you'd think they wouldn't have to. I would think a place like SR would be more apt to inflate since they are huge on retention, but not on raw snowfall totals...but if anything I always tended to think SR underinflated.

But yeah, it is excellent the way you keep track of snow. Lots of pics and plenty of transparancy and you tend to be conservative on the measurements...even admitting that sometimes, a fraction what you get might be blow-off from near the crest of the opposite side...but since it covers such a large area, you kind of have to count it as snowfall.

Yeah, they've kind of developed a reputation over the years as inflating their amounts.

But it's funny because they are in a ridiculously good spot for snow, so you'd think they wouldn't have to. I would think a place like SR would be more apt to inflate since they are huge on retention, but not on raw snowfall totals...but if anything I always tended to think SR underinflated.

But yeah, it is excellent the way you keep track of snow. Lots of pics and plenty of transparancy and you tend to be conservative on the measurements...even admitting that sometimes, a fraction what you get might be blow-off from near the crest of the opposite side...but since it covers such a large area, you kind of have to count it as snowfall.

Yeah I've never understood why they don't try to be more transparent because they do get the most snow in the East...but they have also created a culture where skiers question their claims.  There's even a local snow report web page started by skiers up there because they didn't believe the claimed numbers.  I'm glad I don't see this cropping up for Stowe, haha.

http://jonnyjay.blogspot.com/

Welcome to truth in snow reporting
This blog is a forum for a group of die-hard Jay Peak skiers who got a little fed up with what they read at the other Jay Peak snow report.

Ranging in age from teen-something to to 60-something, the contributors are all members of a family group that has skied at Jay Peak, Vermont, since the late 1960s.

The buds on my magnolia stellata haven't even cracked open... usually it's coming into full flower next week.  

I have seen nary a bud down here...in a few spots closer to Boston, but otherwise, almost nada...pretty obscene. This is gonna be like 1967 for leaf-out...that year, the trees were all bare in early May.

The buds on my magnolia stellata haven't even cracked open... usually it's coming into full flower next week.  

My April high temps since moving here...

2007: 84.3

2008: 82.1

2009: 89.8

2010: 83.5

2011: 78.8

2012: 88.1

2013: 74.2

2014: 75.4

2015: 70.4

There's 6 days to go, but no heat in sight so that 70F will stand. We can't seem to buy a well above normal day.

Awesome Eyewall! Yeah I could tell from that radar last night it was classic blocked flow. Although it was snowing lightly on this side, those echoes were showing a few hours of moderate snow for west slope communities. Bet they got several hours of 1/2" per hour or greater, and the 2-3.5" fell mostly in a 4-6 hour period.

Thank you and yeah I surprised at how quickly it went from bare ground to winter wonderland as I drove toward the area. It was a dramatic change within a mile or two.

The mesoscale stuff around here is always fascinating. Out of curiosity how far back towards the lake did it get? Like Essex?

November today. Overcast, NW wind, green grass, dead leaves scattered around, loud crows and squirrels scurrying around everywhere.

Yeah very fall like day. It's got that cold, cloudy, windy, with a coating of snow remaining scattered about on the leaves in the woods and on logs and shaded spots.

Looks like hunting season haha.

MVL with a high of 35F when the normal high is 58F, lol.

Archived