EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can hear the peepers in the woods around my place now. Hopefully it's enough to get me through the misery mist.

A few peepers were sounding off near our church in Farmington last evening, but they haven't awakened yet at my place.  I don't think these next couple days will encourage them much.

Looked like even some mangled flakes were trying too. Still a bit of snow on some islands from what I can see . Looked like top 1/3 of Gunstock still had snow outside of trails?

Hrm...makes sense... the lake tempers early season torch days so islands could be a sneaky snow retention spot.  It might also be that the copious amounts of drifting snow gets caught up in the trees and settles on the islands.

Gunstock retains snow unexpectedly well... I assume because it's north facing.  Some of the trails will have snow into mid may.  Not bad for a small mountain.

Hrm...makes sense... the lake tempers early season torch days so islands could be a sneaky snow retention spot. It might also be that the copious amounts of drifting snow gets caught up in the trees and settles on the islands.

Gunstock retains snow unexpectedly well... I assume because it's north facing. Some of the trails will have snow into mid may. Not bad for a small mountain.

Yeah it was just a bit on the islands from what I saw. Maybe because of drifting like you said. Gunstock is also a great snow spot. No downsloping like you have here where I am from the Ossipees.

Howling wind through the trees, heavy rain mixed with catpaws. 37.7F miserable. Anything blooming in SNE, forsythia? Newfound Lake still is ice covered but close to going out.

Had some mangled looking crap too earlier.

Yeah forsythia was just starting in spots. Magnolia close too.

Plenty of turns to go if the models are right.

We’ve been watching this potential for a while, so it’s good to see that it’s still there as the dates get closer.  There’s not much mentioned in today’s afternoon update, but the morning BTV NWS forecast discussion had plenty to say about the upcoming potential:

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 338 AM EDT MONDAY...LITTLE OVERALL CHANGE IN 00Z NWP GUIDANCE SUITE CONCERNING THE GENERALLY COOL AND UNSETTLED WEATHER CONDITIONS EXPECTED FOR MUCH OF THE EXTENDED FORECAST PERIOD. CONTROLLING SYNOPTIC FEATURE WILL BE LARGE EQUIVALENT BAROTROPIC UPPER LOW OVER THE NRN GREAT LAKES AND ONTARIO WED NIGHT. THIS CLOSED LOW WILL DRIFT ONLY VERY SLOWLY EWD...AND GENERALLY BECOMING QUASI- STATIONARY ACROSS SRN QUEBEC OVER THE WEEKEND. NORTH COUNTRY WILL REMAIN WITHIN ASSOCIATED CYCLONIC CIRCULATION AND SEASONABLY LOW THERMAL/THICKNESS FIELDS THRU THE PERIOD. AS SUCH...DAYTIME HIGH TEMPERATURES THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY WILL REMAIN SEVERAL DEGREES BELOW CLIMO AVERAGE...WITH VALLEY HIGHS GENERALLY IN THE LOW 50S THU/FRI...AND MID 50S SAT/SUN. CONSIDERABLE CLOUDINESS IS ALSO EXPECTED WITH CHANCES FOR LIGHT SHOWER ACTIVITY...ESPECIALLY WITH DIURNAL HEATING PERIODS THURSDAY AND FRIDAY AFTN (30-40 POPS)...WITH SLIGHTLY LOWER CHANCES FOR THE WEEKEND (20-30 POPS). THE COLDEST THERMAL/THICKNESS FIELDS ARE GENERALLY THURSDAY INTO THURSDAY NIGHT...WITH 00Z GFS 850MB TEMPS PROGGED AT -5 TO -6C. GENERALLY COLD ENOUGH TO SUPPORT A MIX WITH SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY ABOVE 1000-1500FT DURING THE DAY THURSDAY...AND AREAWIDE THURSDAY NIGHT AS TEMPS FALL BACK INTO THE LOW-MID 30S. COULD SEE SOME LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ABOVE 1500` THURSDAY INTO THURSDAY NIGHT...WITH SEVERAL INCHES POSSIBLE AT SUMMIT LOCATIONS. PREVAILING WNWLY FLOW WILL MAINTAIN COOL TEMPERATURE REGIME THRU THE WEEKEND...WITH ISOLD SHOWERS POSSIBLE.

Driving I-87 between Plattsburgh and Glens Falls in NY today it was impressive to still see a few small lakes or ponds in the eastern Adirondacks completely frozen solid still. I rarely drive that stretch but can imagine that drive would be atrocious in a snowstorm (in Essex County, NY) on I-87. Lots of hills, winding interstate, what looks like terrain made for enhancing winds between huge cliff, no cell phone coverage...not surprising that stretch often closes from jackknifed tractor trailers moving between NYC and Montreal.

1.27" thru 7 this morning, probably a few tenths since.  Saw some 3-4" obs from York/Cumberland Counties.  This should bring the Sandy to near flood stage (real problems begin about 2' above that level) and by tomorrow morning the Kennebec will likely be in the waterfront parking lots in Augusta.  Heard one lone peeper at 9 last night, plus all the wood frogs.  Ice on Long Pond (Belgrade) is darkening; some late-week wind might clear it off.

Archived