joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice weenie spot there for sure. Similar pack I think up here too above 2K, need to have that coniferous shade though.

Wonder what the SN total was down at your place? 170-200? I think Mt Snow had around 200"

I don't think it was that high, but I'd be willing to guess it was in the 130" to 140" range.  Snow pack retention at that elevation is also really good, so it sticks around and builds up.

You can see how that S VT plateau stands out on the NOHRSC maps with a large area of > 20" depth there. My land is near the southern end of it, but it's just far enough north that it's in that area. I've come to referring to it as the "weenie belt".

A 2 or 3 mile drive down route 100 you will lose 1,000 of elevation and a lot of snow. I've found that S VT plateau to be in a completely different league than 2K in the northern Berkshires (a good area in its own right), which is one of the many reasons why I chose it. Plus, it's only 20 minutes to North Adams, 25 minutes to Bennington, and 50 minutes to Pittsfield.

post-48-0-01580500-1428953650_thumb.png

post-48-0-95799000-1428953662_thumb.png

I don't think it was that high, but I'd be willing to guess it was in the 130" to 140" range.  Snow pack retention at that elevation is also really good, so it sticks around and builds up.

You can see how that S VT plateau stands out on the NOHRSC maps with a large area of > 20" depth there. My land is near the southern end of it, but it's just far enough north that it's in that area. I've come to referring to it as the "weenie belt".

A 2 or 3 mile drive down route 100 you will lose 1,000 of elevation and a lot of snow. I've found that S VT plateau to be in a completely different league than 2K in the northern Berkshires (a good area in its own right), which is one of the many reasons why I chose it. Plus, it's only 20 minutes to North Adams, 25 minutes to Bennington, and 50 minutes to Pittsfield.

Really nice region up there.  I used to like to take the long way home from skiing down vt 100 on nice spring days like today just for the quiet emptiness and views around there.

From that same era it seemed pretty reliable that snowpack would either start or drastically increase very close to the MA/VT border on 91.

I don't think it was that high, but I'd be willing to guess it was in the 130" to 140" range. Snow pack retention at that elevation is also really good, so it sticks around and builds up.

That's definitely an underrated weenie spot in New England. That plateau is high in elevation and as far as inhabited elevations that's one of the highest spots in VT. A good friend of mine lives in Halifax, VT at 1900ft right next to Stamford...and he lives on a narrow dirt road that always seems to have obscene snowbanks all winter. And with a lot of pines and evergreens up there, along with bogs and swamps, that snow stays around forever.

I believe I can officially say that my snow pack is toast.  Half of both the back and front yards are clear of snow.  There is still up to 6 inches on the half of the back yard which is where the snow gets blown and is flat.  The slanted portion faces south and is mostly clear. The snow pack was continuous from 11/26 to 4/13.  not bad.

Did a quick walk around the yard.  Virtually all the snow is gone.  I am struck by a daunting realization:  I have 4 1/2 months (138 days) of dog poop to pick up!

Haha, I'm going to get a puppy next week (black lab) as my last dog passed away last summer at over 13 years old.  This is the first spring in a long time I haven't had to pick up pounds and pounds of dog poop, ha. 

And yeah, I pretty much lost all the snow in my yard in the last 36 hours.  The backyard for whatever reason holds snow really well so it had full coverage yesterday morning.  Then it was 70 degrees yesterday, no freeze overnight, and another mild day....aaaaand its gone.  Now I've only got a few patches near the bushes and another long strip behind the hedge row.  But I certainly can't claim any more snow depth.  Its over.

Haha, I'm going to get a puppy next week (black lab) as my last dog passed away last summer at over 13 years old. This is the first spring in a long time I haven't had to pick up pounds and pounds of dog poop, ha.

And yeah, I pretty much lost all the snow in my yard in the last 36 hours. The backyard for whatever reason holds snow really well so it had full coverage yesterday morning. Then it was 70 degrees yesterday, no freeze overnight, and another mild day....aaaaand its gone. Now I've only got a few patches near the bushes and another long strip behind the hedge row. But I certainly can't claim any more snow depth. Its over.

I hope he's a rescue

Belated

March 2015

Averages
Max:  36.9°F (-5.0°F)
Min:  16.5°F (-6.6°F)
Mean: 26.7°F (-5.8°F)

Extremes
HiMax:  52.6°F (11th)
LoMin:  -3.9°F (6th)
LoMax:  23.0°F (18th)
HiMin:  33.4°F (26th)

Precipitation
Total:    1.36"
MaxDaily: 0.58" (2nd)

Snowfall
Total:     5.2"
MaxDaily:  2.0" (1st)

Snow Depth
SnowDD:  537
AvgDepth: 17"
MaxDepth: 25" (3rd-4th)
MinDepth: 11" (27th-31st)

Wind
PeakGust:  41mph (17th)
MaxDaily: 7.7mph (18th)

Max Temps
 90s  0
 80s  0
 70s  0
 60s  0
 50s  3
 40s  7
 30s 15
 20s  6
 10s  0
  0s  0
 -0s  0

Min Temps
 70s  0
 60s  0
 50s  0
 40s  0
 30s  3
 20s 11
 10s  9
  0s  7
 -0s  1
-10s  0
-20s  0

Precipitation
>= 0.01" 13
>= 0.10"  5
>= 0.25"  1
>= 0.50"  1
>= 1.00"  0

Snowfall
>=  0.1"  9
>=  1.0"  2
>=  3.0"  0
>=  6.0"  0
>= 12.0"  0

Fortunately that bridge is about ten feet higher than the one the ice destroyed in 1991.  However, at the foot of Big Rapids (2+ miles upstream at Walker Brook) the vertical rise from low water to the nearest trees is about 40 feet, and an ice jam that high might even take out the new bridge, though the river is wider at the bridge site so it's likely the ice would spreaxd out and be less tall there.  Last I looked, the water level had dropped a foot from its peak, down to 24.6', after climbing about 15 feet in an hour or two.

Another beautiful day.....  since the weather is a bit slow thought I would post a screen shot from my brothers cam looking at Aspen Mountain.  Snow showers and virga today.  He's at 8800 feet.  Seems like peaks gets so much more snow due to sublimation.  Looks like trees are starting to bud.

post-268-0-41951700-1429203755_thumb.jpg

So about 140 days in a row that got below freezing, that must be a record . Not one above freezing low ? For 140 days

That query led me to a quick check of the numbers.  The all-32-or-below minima streaks have ranged from 82 days in 1999-2000 (thanks to my only above 32 minimum in Feb) to 157 in 2007-08.  Last above-32 in fall has ranged from 11/13 in 2002 to 12/25 in the 2003 Grinch storm.  Earliest in spring runs from 2/28 in 2000 to 4/24 in 2007.  Average is 124 days, median 122.  Helps being in a frost pocket.

Jam St Johns River

Was the rest of winter bad for aspen? I recall your other posts a couple months ago.

Another beautiful day..... since the weather is a bit slow thought I would post a screen shot from my brothers cam looking at Aspen Mountain. Snow showers and virga today. He's at 8800 feet. Seems like peaks gets so much more snow due to sublimation. Looks like trees are starting to bud.

Agreed, there's so many pooches that need homes they're should be a limit on breeding new ones lol.

I must've missed Ginxy's post... but unfortunately not a rescue. Family friend who had a litter of labs for Guiding Eyes for the Blind...though they have a few pups they have designated as non-trainees.

Growing up my family raised and trained working dogs...I've got one lab working as a bomb dog with the Feds (ATF) down in DC, and another as a guide-dog for a blind person in Garden City, NY. We always raised them in conjunction with these family friends, one of whom is a NY State Trooper and involved in their K9 training. Anyway, they had a litter and a couple of the pups for whatever reason aren't going into training, so I said I'd take one.

Level at Dickey still near 25', has stayed +/- half a foot of 25 since yesterday morning.  St, John in Ft. Kent bumped up to 15', then quickly dropped to 8-9 yesterday evening - probably a lesser jam, perhaps augmented by Fish River ice, that's now headed downriver.

Well, this week of sun and warmth has been really nice (and Sunday is looking really great) but perhaps even more fun is the chance to get back into some active wintry weather next week.  I’ve definitely been seeing potential for snow next week on a lot of the models, and I’m starting to read some mentions of possibilities in the BTV NWS forecast discussion:

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...

AS OF 342 AM EDT FRIDAY...SUNDAY NIGHT WILL MARK THE BEGINNING OF A PRETTY UNSETTLED STRETCH OF WEATHER LIKELY LASTING THROUGH ALL OF NEXT WEEK AND INTO NEXT WEEKEND AS A DIGGING UPPER TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL CONUS DEVELOPS INTO A VERTICALLY STACKED CLOSED LOW AND SHIFTS OVER THE NORTHEAST.

…UPPER LOW BECOMES NEARLY STATIONARY THROUGH THE END OF THE WEEK AND MIGHT EVEN RETROGRADE NORTHWESTWARD A LITTLE BIT OVER SOUTHERN ONTARIO SO IT`S HARD TO RULE OUT SCATTERED SHOWERS EACH DAY. TEMPS REMAIN FAIRLY CLOSE TO NORMAL WITH HIGHS IN THE 50S, AND LOWS IN THE 30S WHICH WILL SUPPORT PTYPE AS RAIN DURING THE DAY, AND POSSIBLY A LITTLE SNOW DURING THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. ATOP THE HIGHER SUMMITS, COULD BE ALL SNOW WITH TEMPS HOVERING IN THE 30S FOR HIGHS AND 20S FOR LOWS. GOTTA LOVE SPRING IN THE NORTH COUNTRY!

I’m wondering if there might not be a bit of sarcasm in that final comment, but it’s easy to love spring in the North Country when it has the potential to combine plenty of moisture with cutoff lows that dump tons of snow.  At this stage one can’t say if anything will actually come together, but this time of year I’m reminded of the introductions to some of my April trip reports such as the one from April 10th, 2012:

“A cutoff low pressure system backed into the region yesterday, and it began to dump a mixture of heavy snow in the mountains and pouring rain in the lower mountain valleys of Northern Vermont.”

10APR12B.jpg

10APR12C.jpg

10APR12D.jpg

Archived