• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

Yeah I don't think Atkinson has anything to do with it anymore either... I was just trying to see if I missed a snowfall in there somewhere, but what you described makes more sense. I just saw 3" Saturday, 4" Sunday, and another 4" this morning...which was where I couldn't figure it out as there was no mention of like 4" falling last night or yesterday during the day.

See up above where u posted that radar shot from early Sunday morning and I responded that we picked up 4" overnight.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See up above where u posted that radar shot from early Sunday morning and I responded that we picked up 4" overnight.

Yeah, I assumed that was the 4" on Sunday's 7am report as it was pretty much over at that time.  It was the 4" in this morning's 24 hour total (now 7" in 24 hours) I was curious about, as 4" on Saturday night wouldn't show up today.  I wasn't sure if some other squalls came through during the day yesterday or last night.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.10” L.E.

I found 0.3” of very slushy snow on the boards when I got home today; it might have been a bit more based on what I saw on the web cam today, but it probably compacted with temperatures a bit above the freezing mark.  This frontal boundary event marks the 52nd accumulating snowstorm of the season for our location, which is five storms above the average, despite this being a low snowfall season.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.0

Snow Density: 33.3% H2O

Temperature: 35.4 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

We had about 2 inches of new snow yesterday afternoon and received another 3.1 inches of paste overnight.  Everything is white this morning.

Wow.  That's impressive. Take some pics if you can, I bet that paste looks awesome.

2.3" in the last 24 hours at 1,500ft base of the ski area.  I had about 1-1.5" at home on the old snow, only 1/4-1/2" on other dark surfaces like the car and walkway.

My last -20 was 21 years ago.

Kinda interesting how -20 is extremely rare here, but HIE gets them by the dozen every year.

It's only 47 miles away.

Here (say MVL) we rack 'em up several times a year, however BTV like 15-20 miles away as the crow flies never gets them. 

The beauty of New England climate.  Even within Stowe here...anyone living between like 1,300-2,200ft never gets -20F but just down the road at 800ft will get a dozen of them.  I can't remember the last time we had one up at the office at 1,500ft.  It could be like -28F at 4,000ft and -16F at 1,500ft and then -24F at 750ft.

Like with all the cold this season, the low at 1,500ft was -16F that I can find quickly...while MVL was like -29F for a seasonal low.

About an inch at home this morning, not sure how much yesterday afternoon as all my easy measuring areas didn't accumulate.  This stretch reminds me of a weaker version of the December past storm.  Several days of wet snow.  Loved it back then, meh about it now.

My last -20 was 21 years ago.

Kinda interesting how -20 is extremely rare here, but HIE gets them by the dozen every year.

It's only 47 miles away.

HIE is in a bowl; it's all about microclimate.  I'm in a frost pocket and got down to -20 or below 10 times this winter (bottom was -25), but I would guess that a neighbor on the hill 2,000 feet to my north never reached -20 at all.  Neither did Farmington coop, on a sidehill above the Sandy River about 6 miles to my west.

Got 1.9" from the event and trees were nicely plastered this morning, though the 1.5" overnight was upper 20s powder.  Roads were messy, too, until I got to Belgrade Village.

Woke up to similar views as klw, a couple inches here.  The mountain was still giving up  powder turns along with spring bumps, chute skiing, and maybe the last of ridge line skiing...

View from the end of the ridge on Jay.

DSCN0510.jpg

N. VT Bonzai with April rime.

DSCN0514.jpg

absolutely gorgeous!

Archived