joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coyotes sing all year around our place, and thru the summer we can usually trace the growth of the pups by how their voices progress down the register from top soprano to alto.

There was a deer-feeding issue in SNH last month that led to a dozen or so dead animals, due to an abrupt change in their diet from low nutrition browse to high nutrition feed.  The bacterial flora in a ruminant's gut need time to adapt, and these deer got major bloat from the high-protein mix and succumbed.

I heard about that. We would occasionally feed them until I learned otherwise. I'll still throw out old apples now and then, but other than that they're on their own like they have been for hundreds of thousands of years.

Which is why folks should not feed the deer, They have survived all these years without assistance, More harm then good

Was just going to say this.  I'm not heartless, I don't want to see any animal suffer either but many don't realize how amazingly tough and adaptable the whitetail deer are.  The most important thing to do in order to prevent massive die off is to ensure their numbers are balanced with the amount and quality of habitat available.  With the decline of hunting and lack of major predators, there less controls on the population and when a harsh winter comes, available feed is stripped and deer starve. Another issue with feeding is that when fed, deer gather in large numbers, facilitating the spread of disease such as chronic waste.  It is better to let nature take its course.

I heard about that. We would occasionally feed them until I learned otherwise. I'll still throw out old apples now and then, but other than that they're on their own like they have been for hundreds of thousands of years.

Exactly, Apples are natural to there habitat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just going to say this. I'm not heartless, I don't want to see any animal suffer either but many don't realize how amazingly tough and adaptable the whitetail deer are. The most important thing to do in order to prevent massive die off is to ensure their numbers are balanced with the amount and quality of habitat available. With the decline of hunting and lack of major predators, there less controls on the population and when a harsh winter comes, available feed is stripped and deer starve. Another issue with feeding is that when fed, deer gather in large numbers, facilitating the spread of disease such as chronic waste. It is better to let nature take its course.

Exactly, nature and there predators balance things out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just going to say this. I'm not heartless, I don't want to see any animal suffer either but many don't realize how amazingly tough and adaptable the whitetail deer are. The most important thing to do in order to prevent massive die off is to ensure their numbers are balanced with the amount and quality of habitat available. With the decline of hunting and lack of major predators, there less controls on the population and when a harsh winter comes, available feed is stripped and deer starve. Another issue with feeding is that when fed, deer gather in large numbers, facilitating the spread of disease such as chronic waste. It is better to let nature take its course.

population crashes are a well known phenomena.Best to let nature take care of its own.

I live in a park and there's no hunting here so the deer naturally herd here, it's amazing how they figure out where to herd like that. Totally agree with not feeding them, does more harm than good but it's hard to explain that to the folks that do feed them, I'm not aware of anyone feeding this herd. This pack needs some pruning and after seeing them eat pretty much everything in my yard I sometimes just see then as rats with long legs.

Was just going to say this.  I'm not heartless, I don't want to see any animal suffer either but many don't realize how amazingly tough and adaptable the whitetail deer are.  The most important thing to do in order to prevent massive die off is to ensure their numbers are balanced with the amount and quality of habitat available.  With the decline of hunting and lack of major predators, there less controls on the population and when a harsh winter comes, available feed is stripped and deer starve. Another issue with feeding is that when fed, deer gather in large numbers, facilitating the spread of disease such as chronic waste.  It is better to let nature take its course.

There is some balance up there. Down where I am in the hudson valley, the deer population is totally out of control. Unless they are fenced out, they eat everything. And I mean everything including supposedly deer resistant flora. It is striking that in the woods there is absolutely no undergrowth. Everything below 6 feet is gone. And i get the feeling that they are adapting to vehicular traffic. I see them often stopping and looking before crossing a road.

There is some balance up there. Down where I am in the hudson valley, the deer population is totally out of control. Unless they are fenced out, they eat everything. And I mean everything including supposedly deer resistant flora. It is striking that in the woods there is absolutely no undergrowth. Everything below 6 feet is gone. And i get the feeling that they are adapting to vehicular traffic. I see them often stopping and looking before crossing a road.

Over the course of the last several years, while finishing my college degree, I've had several opportunities to study deer.  They are fascinating.  I don't hunt but I see the need to.  It is stunning to think that they were once on the verge of extinction here in Vermont.  As you've seen, they are remarkably adaptable creatures. Since they are creatures that thrive on the edge of forests, suburbia provides nearly perfect habitat for them.  There are plenty of yards and gardens to browse in and enough forest to provide cover.  Combine that with no hunting pressure and no natural predatory threat and you have the perfect recipe for overpopulation.  

Over the course of the last several years, while finishing my college degree, I've had several opportunities to study deer.  They are fascinating.  I don't hunt but I see the need to.  It is stunning to think that they were once on the verge of extinction here in Vermont.  As you've seen, they are remarkably adaptable creatures. Since they are creatures that thrive on the edge of forests, suburbia provides nearly perfect habitat for them.  There are plenty of yards and gardens to browse in and enough forest to provide cover.  Combine that with no hunting pressure and no natural predatory threat and you have the perfect recipe for overpopulation.

Yeah and it doesn't help that a good portion of the yards are fenced in, limiting their foraging area. We do have coyotes though, fwiw. My deck overlooks the backyard which borders on a large area of woods. I could easily sit there and shoot them, if I was so inclined.

In some areas, They need to be controlled, And that is where a biologist need to step in and have a controlled thinning of the herd especially if they are contributing to property damage, But i will kill any coyote i come across no mater the circumstances as they are savages and are detrimental to the deer herd

Coincidently, I got an email this morning from a local nature preserve. Excerpt below.

Deer Density Analysis Continued:

Research indicates that a property the size of Teatown should have no more than 10-20 deer. To refine our estimates on our deer herd, Teatown has recently conducted camera trap surveys and an Aerial Forward Looking Infrared Study (FLIR). Camera studies use motion activated cameras to capture photos of deer. Individual males (bucks) are then identified from photos by the specific branching pattern of their antlers. Females and fawns are then estimated using mathematical equations. Our camera study was conducted in September 2014 and estimated the number of deer on the property to be 125.

Coincidently, I got an email this morning from a local nature preserve. Excerpt below.

Deer Density Analysis Continued:

Research indicates that a property the size of Teatown should have no more than 10-20 deer. To refine our estimates on our deer herd, Teatown has recently conducted camera trap surveys and an Aerial Forward Looking Infrared Study (FLIR). Camera studies use motion activated cameras to capture photos of deer. Individual males (bucks) are then identified from photos by the specific branching pattern of their antlers. Females and fawns are then estimated using mathematical equations. Our camera study was conducted in September 2014 and estimated the number of deer on the property to be 125.

Round up the bow hunters

Round up the bow hunters

As long as they are skilled and dedicated (which is usually the case.)  Otherwise the choice of harvest method is either firearms or fenders.  In some overpopulated (by deer) places they are referred to as hooved locusts.

I've not shot coyotes the two times I had the opportunity during deer season, but here near the edge of the historic (meaning, pre European invasion) range of deer, I can understand the impact those canids have on a barely-surviving herd.  Six years ago last month, coyotes took down a little buck fawn within 50 yards of our house, and that winter (08-09) plus the preceding one cut the deer population in southern Franklin by at least half. There's not been much of a bounce-back even with the next four winters being non-restrictive.  Last winter was tough on them, this winter somewhat less so.  Fortunately, the remaining pack is so solid the critters stay on top all day - saw 5 yesterday afternoon skipping across the field and into the woods.

Our area is under a Winter Weather Advisory starting at midnight, and I’ve added some materials related to the upcoming storm below.  The point forecast for top lift elevations on Mansfield is currently in the 5-10” range, and down at the house it’s in the 2-4” range.  BTV NWS maps, and advisory/discussion text.

03APR15A.jpg

WWUS41 KBTV 030837

WSWBTV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

437 AM EDT FRI APR 3 2015

VTZ003-004-006>008-016>018-032000-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0013.150404T0400Z-150404T2200Z/

ORLEANS-ESSEX-LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-EASTERN FRANKLIN-

EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...JOHNSON...

STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...MONTPELIER...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...

UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON

437 AM EDT FRI APR 3 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO

6 PM EDT SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR MUCH OF NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST

VERMONT...ESPECIALLY AREAS ABOVE 1000 FEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT

FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM EDT SATURDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST VERMONT...ESPECIALLY

ABOVE 1000 FEET.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY SATURDAY

MORNING THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL OVERSPREAD THE ADVISORY AREA TONIGHT...THEN

BEGIN TO CHANGE TO SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT AND CONTINUE AS SNOW

THROUGHOUT THE DAY ON SATURDAY.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL IS EXPECTED AS WET ROADS BECOME SNOW

COVERED DUE TO TEMPERATURES FALLING TO THE FREEZING MARK. THE

ACCUMULATION OF SNOW WILL FURTHER IMPACT TRAVEL.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 20 MPH SATURDAY WITH GUSTS UP TO 35

MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS AROUND 30 FRIDAY NIGHT. HIGHS ON SATURDAY IN

THE LOWER 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...REDUCED UNDER A MILE EARLY SATURDAY MORNING

THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS

AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

$$

EVENSON

03APR15B.jpg

.SHORT TERM /8 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 427 AM EDT FRIDAY...HAVE GONE AHEAD AND ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR MUCH OF NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST VERMONT...ESPECIALLY FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 1000 FEET. THE ADVISORY BEGINS AT MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND CONTINUES THROUGH 600 PM SATURDAY. EXPECT 2 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW OVER THIS AREA...ESPECIALLY ABOVE 1000 FEET WITH A DUSTING TO TWO INCHES FOR THE LOWER ELEVATIONS. ELSEWHERE ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK AND VERMONT...EXPECT A DUSTING TO TWO INCHES FOR THE SAINT LAWRENCE...CHAMPLAIN...AND LOWER CONNECTICUT VALLEYS AND 2 TO 4 INCHES IN THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS WITH SLIGHTLY HIGHER AMOUNTS AT THE HIGHEST PEAKS. FOR THIS EVENT EVERYONE STARTS AS RAIN TONIGHT AS LOW PRESSURE MOVES FROM THE OHIO VALLEY AND REACHES THE GULF OF MAINE SATURDAY MORNING. ITS NOT UNTIL AFTER MIDNIGHT THAT LOW LEVEL TEMPERATURES ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE LOW COME CRASHING DOWN AND CHANGE THE RAIN TO SNOW. HIGHEST PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS WILL BE OVER VERMONT...THUS THE HIGHER SNOW AMOUNTS. OVERALL PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS FROM TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON WILL BE IN THE THIRD TO TWO THIRDS INCH RANGE. THE ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES...SNOWMELT...AND PRECIPITATION WILL CONTRIBUTE TO RISES ON AREA WATERWAYS ALONG WITH THE BREAKUP OF RIVER ICE...WHICH IS MOST PREVALENT OVER THE FAR NORTHERN PORTIONS OF VERMONT AND NEW YORK. COLDER AIR CONTINUES TO MOVE IN SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY AND WITH NO ADDITIONAL PRECIPITATION EXPECTED DURING THIS TIME...THE RUNOFF CONTRIBUTION WILL COME TO AN END. HIGH TEMPERATURES ON SUNDAY WILL GENERALLY BE IN THE 30S TO LOWER 40S.

As long as they are skilled and dedicated (which is usually the case.)  Otherwise the choice of harvest method is either firearms or fenders.  In some overpopulated (by deer) places they are referred to as hooved locusts.

I've not shot coyotes the two times I had the opportunity during deer season, but here near the edge of the historic (meaning, pre European invasion) range of deer, I can understand the impact those canids have on a barely-surviving herd.  Six years ago last month, coyotes took down a little buck fawn within 50 yards of our house, and that winter (08-09) plus the preceding one cut the deer population in southern Franklin by at least half. There's not been much of a bounce-back even with the next four winters being non-restrictive.  Last winter was tough on them, this winter somewhat less so.  Fortunately, the remaining pack is so solid the critters stay on top all day - saw 5 yesterday afternoon skipping across the field and into the woods.

I shoot them every chance i get

Wow what a nice day! Simply stunning out. Would be a perfect evening to grill a nice steak. Unfortunately I just had some dental work done and must limit myself to soft foods for the next few days. :(

Gorgeous day! 65 already and sunny.

Map from GYX has considerable 4-6 and 6-8 in the northern third of their CWA, with some 8-10 pixels for Sugarloaf.  Cutoff between 4-6 and <1 takes place in <5 miles near Kingfield and points E/W.  I'm solidly in that <1" color, except there's some "zero" pixels just to my east.  I'm guessing my place gets an hour of moderate-looking but non-sticking snow/slush late tomorrow morning.  Easter sunrise service looks chilly and windy, maybe a flurry.

Archived