• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

Level at Dickey still near 25', has stayed +/- half a foot of 25 since yesterday morning.  St, John in Ft. Kent bumped up to 15', then quickly dropped to 8-9 yesterday evening - probably a lesser jam, perhaps augmented by Fish River ice, that's now headed downriver.

Compare the picture from yesterday. looks higher

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching this since yesterday too, I agree, it does look a bit higher.

Here's the graph of river level - poppoed up to about 25.5' yesterday morning then settled back by about a foot, followed by slow rise to the current level.  I don't know how close the gauge is to the bridge - probably within a few hundred yards.  One thing obvious from the paired photos is that the jam hasn't moved downstream at all between pics. 

Gage height, feet

Most recent instantaneous value: 25.24   04-17-2015  11:30 EDT

USGS.01010500.02.00065..20150410.2015041

Here's the graph of river level - poppoed up to about 25.5' yesterday morning then settled back by about a foot, followed by slow rise to the current level.  I don't know how close the gauge is to the bridge - probably within a few hundred yards.  One thing obvious from the paired photos is that the jam hasn't moved downstream at all between pics. 

Gage height, feet

Most recent instantaneous value: 25.24   04-17-2015  11:30 EDT

USGS.01010500.02.00065..20150410.2015041

Its clear from the photos now that its moving.

Well, this week of sun and warmth has been really nice (and Sunday is looking really great) but perhaps even more fun is the chance to get back into some active wintry weather next week.  I’ve definitely been seeing potential for snow next week on a lot of the models, and I’m starting to read some mentions of possibilities in the BTV NWS forecast discussion:

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...

AS OF 342 AM EDT FRIDAY...SUNDAY NIGHT WILL MARK THE BEGINNING OF A PRETTY UNSETTLED STRETCH OF WEATHER LIKELY LASTING THROUGH ALL OF NEXT WEEK AND INTO NEXT WEEKEND AS A DIGGING UPPER TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL CONUS DEVELOPS INTO A VERTICALLY STACKED CLOSED LOW AND SHIFTS OVER THE NORTHEAST.

…UPPER LOW BECOMES NEARLY STATIONARY THROUGH THE END OF THE WEEK AND MIGHT EVEN RETROGRADE NORTHWESTWARD A LITTLE BIT OVER SOUTHERN ONTARIO SO IT`S HARD TO RULE OUT SCATTERED SHOWERS EACH DAY. TEMPS REMAIN FAIRLY CLOSE TO NORMAL WITH HIGHS IN THE 50S, AND LOWS IN THE 30S WHICH WILL SUPPORT PTYPE AS RAIN DURING THE DAY, AND POSSIBLY A LITTLE SNOW DURING THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. ATOP THE HIGHER SUMMITS, COULD BE ALL SNOW WITH TEMPS HOVERING IN THE 30S FOR HIGHS AND 20S FOR LOWS. GOTTA LOVE SPRING IN THE NORTH COUNTRY!

I’m wondering if there might not be a bit of sarcasm in that final comment, but it’s easy to love spring in the North Country when it has the potential to combine plenty of moisture with cutoff lows that dump tons of snow.  At this stage one can’t say if anything will actually come together, but this time of year I’m reminded of the introductions to some of my April trip reports such as the one from April 10th, 2012:

“A cutoff low pressure system backed into the region yesterday, and it began to dump a mixture of heavy snow in the mountains and pouring rain in the lower mountain valleys of Northern Vermont.”

10APR12B.jpg

10APR12C.jpg

10APR12D.jpg

^^ And that was from the non-winter of 2011-2012 after 80's in March! The mountains are good for at least one spring dump each year.

^^ And that was from the non-winter of 2011-2012 after 80's in March! The mountains are good for at least one spring dump each year.

The mtns up there were in their own little corner that winter. I remember PF posting pics of him and Tim Kelly doing nude turns together....and it literally was like stabbing me in the heart. LOL. Obviously I know he was doing it out of passion....but the mtns didn't have the anomaly we did..especially in SNE.

The mtns up there were in their own little corner that winter. I remember PF posting pics of him and Tim Kelly doing nude turns together....and it literally was like stabbing me in the heart. LOL. Obviously I know he was doing it out of passion....but the mtns didn't have the anomaly we did..especially in SNE.

Pretty narrow corner though. 10 miles from the spine in either direction was barren. Even the NEK suffered that year.

LOL true. 2nd least snow here on record in BTV, while the upslope machine kept them in business!

More signs of advancing spring: My snowpack diminished to "T" yesterday, and today the wood frogs began "quacking" in both of our nearby vernal pools.  Plus I brought the old decrepit gas grill around front, for use this evening assuming that blob of showers gets through here soon enough.

More signs of advancing spring: My snowpack diminished to "T" yesterday, and today the wood frogs began "quacking" in both of our nearby vernal pools.  Plus I brought the old decrepit gas grill around front, for use this evening assuming that blob of showers gets through here soon enough.

Nice. Enjoy.  

Pretty narrow corner though. 10 miles from the spine in either direction was barren. Even the NEK suffered that year.

LOL true. 2nd least snow here on record in BTV, while the upslope machine kept them in business!

Oh I know it was narrow....just was funny seeing Ski magazine type pics from Stowe while I was watching flowers bloom in January.

Oh I know it was narrow....just was funny seeing Ski magazine type pics from Stowe while I was watching flowers bloom in January.

That wasn't a good winter by any means up here, haha....but with 90-100" in town, it was servicable.  Up on the mountain, it was still a low winter with 211" at the picnic table snow board.

But relative to the amount of seasonal totals under 36" on the forum, it definitely stood out.

The weather seemed to break our way, too...like rain followed by upslope pow, rather than rain followed by an upslope dusting.  

Even down at Sugarbush, and certainly Killington, it was worse.  Killington was struggling to get to 100" at upper elevations that winter.  Jay Peak was by far the highest in the east, as I think they got up to 280" or something. 

That was a great year for upslope for some reason.  There were a ton of localized snowstorms that season.  Lots of mornings like this...

I can hear the peepers in the woods around my place now. Hopefully it's enough to get me through the misery mist.

I can hear the peepers in the woods around my place now. Hopefully it's enough to get me through the misery mist.

Greens covers are supposed to be removed at my course on Wednesday with a member work bee and afternoon golf next Saturday. We'll see if that schedule holds. I can't imagine it gets delayed, just won't want to be out in it.

Greens covers are supposed to be removed at my course on Wednesday with a member work bee and afternoon golf next Saturday. We'll see if that schedule holds. I can't imagine it gets delayed, just won't want to be out in it.

I don't think we'll see golf carts in the fairways any time soon.

I don't think we'll see golf carts in the fairways any time soon.

Usually not a problem at my course. The valley we're in is full of gravel so the course drains really well, sometimes too well. We need to water even if it's rainy. We put in irrigation about 20 years ago and it helps keep it green where you're supposed to be but parts of the tough get burned out.

So lucky to be able to live up here in NNE and be able to spend every day all winter with this awesome community. 

After 4pm at the top of the FourRunner...after that final cheer from the crowd as the brakes engage and the lift comes to its final stop of the season.  I should've taken a photo of the parking lot...still packed to capacity well after the lift stopped spinning.

When I first moved here I didn't know many people at all, but it hit me yesterday that I could name just about everyone in this photo.  Already can't wait for next season, but you come for the winters, and stay for the summers. 

Closing day is the best party of the year in this town.

1901298_10102194738697920_43241077657977

So lucky to be able to live up here in NNE and be able to spend every day all winter with this awesome community. 

After 4pm at the top of the FourRunner...after that final cheer from the crowd as the brakes engage and the lift comes to its final stop of the season.  I should've taken a photo of the parking lot...still packed to capacity well after the lift stopped spinning.

When I first moved here I didn't know many people at all, but it hit me yesterday that I could name just about everyone in this photo.  Already can't wait for next season, but you come for the winters, and stay for the summers. 

Closing day is the best party of the year in this town.

1901298_10102194738697920_43241077657977

Looks great. What a nice finish to a good season.

Archived