• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

Sweet.  Yeah I may stay up a little bit to see how this shakes out.  I'm back home and it is still snowing nicely though sticking only to mulch/dirt and cars.  Just a few hundred feet up at 1,000ft+ it was sticking nicely to the grass and even the sides of the road. 

If its doing this down here, the picnic tables are probably having fun in full on mid-winter conditions.

Here's the soundings tomorrow night...you are better at the wind direction stuff than I would be knowing the nuances of the climate there...but from my viewpoint of identifying soundings that want to snow, these look pretty darn good...I really like the bit of instability they show to help ascent:

150424034818.gif

150424034914.gif

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that was a little less than two years ago. It was fun to have that snow for Memorial Day Weekend – fresh powder and kicking off the summer season all in one great weekend. I’ve got a full report from Stowe on the 26th at my site with a bunch of pictures, and I added a few below as well:

26MAY13C.jpg

26MAY13B.jpg

26MAY13A.jpg

26MAY13O.jpg

Amazing pics thanks! Speaking of rain snow lines.. This year, the Jan 18th event I was skiing Kmart and it was raining at the base of the K1 Gondi and when I looked up at the treeline boardering the trail, I could see the flakes maybe 150' above me. It was cool skiing in and out of the snowline. That was the event the Kmart reported 17" at the summit the next day. I'd estimate about 7" at the base of Snowshed. Was the Memorial Day event of 2013 the latest big dump for the northern greens and Dacks? I don't remember such a large dump so late. There was a monstrous 5 foot dump on Mt. Pisgah NC around May 5th in the 1990s. I remember watching that on the weather channel (the good ol days)

Jason

Here's the soundings tomorrow night...you are better at the wind direction stuff than I would be knowing the nuances of the climate there...but from my viewpoint of identifying soundings that want to snow, these look pretty darn good...I really like the bit of instability they show to help ascent:

150424034818.gif

150424034914.gif

Yeah the Spine and west slope communities would do really well with that wind profile.  Looks blocked but not excessively so...west wind at the SFC under a NW to NNW flow just off the deck. The flow from H8 isn't overly strong pushing those echoes down wind, but that's a deep moisture profile getting pushed into the mountains.  So its going to snow, and it looks good for the Spine/Ski Areas regardless.  But what's sweet is with the research that's been done in the past 10-15 years on local upslope (particularly recently with better understanding of blocking and the Froude equation), one can more easily recognize which communities on either side of the Spine are at risk for higher accumulations.

This looks like it should favor the west side up to the ski areas. 

Looks like Underhill and Jericho type spots should be getting hit nicely right now.  Snowing lightly here with a dusting/coating but I bet the other side of the mountain can pick up 1-3".  Upper elevations towards the summits more.

Radar beam can be blocked to some degree west of the Spine, but just a general light snow throughout northern VT it looks like, with more a more concentrated and steady band west of the crest.  VAD showing 30kts at 4,000ft, so it is probably blowing downstream of these echoes a bit.  Eastern Franklin/Chittenden counties probably looking wintery tonight.

April24b_zpsdbadrfxa.gif

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/1.21” L.E.

Snow started to accumulate last night as I noted in the thread, and a big change at that point was the temperature dropping from the 36 F range to around 34 F.  I saw that the rain gauge had 0.04” of liquid in it when the snow accumulation started, and indeed that amount plus the 0.17” pulled out of today’s snow core is just what the total came out to be when I melted down the snow clogging the funnel of the gauge.  The 1.21” liquid total for the event includes everything from the past few days of this system affecting the area.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.17 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.5

Snow Density: 28.3% H2O

Temperature: 33.3 F

Sky: Light Snow

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

That's pretty sweet. It looks like he's a bit higher than some of houses or what not down the road there.

Yeah I wonder if he is even closer to 2k...I don't know exactly where that pic is in reliation to the ski mountain though.

Yeah not quite that high - I'm maybe 100 ft over the base, about 2/3 up the condo developments on the mountainside. The snow level seems to be around 1400 ft; it changes dramatically as you head down the notch towards Bartlett

Yeah I wonder if he is even closer to 2k...I don't know exactly where that pic is in reliation to the ski mountain though.

I'm trailside, the altimeter app says about 1700 ft...

Yeah not quite that high - I'm maybe 100 ft over the base, about 2/3 up the condo developments on the mountainside. The snow level seems to be around 1400 ft; it changes dramatically as you head down the notch towards Bartlett

OK, I think I know the area you are talking about now. Well there's actually a couple but the most notable one was to the right side if you were looking at the mountain from the base lodge.

Yep, that's exactly it! The development is called Crawford Ridge. 

Great weenie spot.

They probably don't have the same snow retention as over by Pinkham Notch...but it is still quite good overall and they get a lot more snow on NW upslope than the east side...so it kind of makes up for it.

Great weenie spot.

They probably don't have the same snow retention as over by Pinkham Notch...but it is still quite good overall and they get a lot more snow on NW upslope than the east side...so it kind of makes up for it.

Yes, that's very much my observation as well, even compared to Bartlett. BW gets a LOT more snow, but actually doesn't retain as well as Bartlett even with the higher elevation. At Xmas time, for instance, BW took a much bigger hit than the other side of the notch did with that ridiculous warmup and rain we had. All in all, this house is great for weenies - feels very mountain-y, snows a ton and the views are amazing, but I don't get to spend much time here since it's almost always rented in the winter, and Bartlett is my primary. Not nearly as good for snow there, but retention is good and I love the North Conway area all year round. 

We are actually considering buying an inn which is going up for sale in the next few months in Crawford Notch, and severing my ties with the corporate world... but it's not an easy step to take! But I really love it up here, and I'm fortunate that my job allows me to be here at least half of the week (sometimes more - I've been here for about 10 days now with the exception of Tuesday and Wednesday when I had to go in for meetings).

That sounds pretty sweet. That's a lot of folks dream, cut ties with the corporate world and come own a B&B in ski country.

Regarding your BW climo, makes sense that the retention isn't as good, but probably makes up for it with the NW flow snow, especially early and late season when it allows it to snow on cold air advection patterns out of the NW. I bet in the thaws though that BW stays fairly windy and well mixed on the downslope side of southerly flow...probably doesn't allow for as deep a CAD inversion layer to develop.

Pretty big difference in snowfall around here between even 750ft and 900ft. 

Highest I saw last night before bed was 0.4" at home, and it all melted off the grass and cars by 11am this morning. 

However just a couple miles up the road, a more heavier coating shows up around 800-850ft and then by 900ft there's snow on the trees and the shaded spots that haven't melted yet showed the grass fully covered, indicating they probably got 1-2" or so just 150ft higher than me.  But there's also a proximity issue as they are a couple miles closer to the Spine.  This is still sitting on the ground around 1pm in late April at 900ft.

That sounds pretty sweet. That's a lot of folks dream, cut ties with the corporate world and come own a B&B in ski country.

Regarding your BW climo, makes sense that the retention isn't as good, but probably makes up for it with the NW flow snow, especially early and late season when it allows it to snow on cold air advection patterns out of the NW. I bet in the thaws though that BW stays fairly windy and well mixed on the downslope side of southerly flow...probably doesn't allow for as deep a CAD inversion layer to develop.

Yes it would be awesome. I *know* it's going to happen some day, I was expecting it in about 10-15 years though... not sure I'm ready! But we were having dinner there last weekend and one of the owners mentioned that they are thinking of selling... and so the conversation started. We'll see! At the end of the day, we only live once (I think), and there's more to life than a big paycheck. 

Archived