Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

light snow has started here

I wasn’t really expecting any more snow after yesterday’s accumulation, but after I saw your post and looked outside – sure enough there was snow and sleet coming down.  Only a trace of accumulation thus far though.

I stopped by my lot late yesterday afternoon above 2.2K in Stamford, VT and there was still plenty of snow there with depths ranging from 23 to 26". It is a dense snow that you can walk on top of, so it's not going anywhere for a while. As such, any pending work will have to wait.

Even with next weeks warmup, it will likely be a slow melt if the dew points aren't too high and temperatures still dip to near or below freezing at night. Being in a dense evergreen spruce/fir forest also helps keep things shady so I wonder if they can keep some snow until May 1st?

post-48-0-74258200-1428767308_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-00035200-1428767332_thumb.jpg

Which lake?  Winni?  Newfound is still white and very frozen.  22" ice thickness on 4/8.  Now with mid April sun and temps in the 60's the race is on.  

Probably Champlain.

Yeah sorry Lake Champlain.

Here's a webcam this morning:

2uyod5h.jpg

Yeah sorry Lake Champlain.

Here's a webcam this morning:

2uyod5h.jpg

And a small plane crashed into it today, and is now stuck in the ice.

----------------------------

MILTON, Vt. -

A small plane crashed into Lake Champlain Saturday afternoon according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

An officer told WPTZ there were two people on board the plane when it crashed shortly before 2:30 p.m.

The pilot and one passenger are said to be out of the water and safe.

The plane is now stuck in the ice according to the Coast Guard. An officer said Grand Isle dispatched a crew to secure the plane which is half underwater east of Savage Island.

Police in Milton say fire and rescue is on the scene.

WPTZ will continue to provide updates as they come in.

Hey Mitch is that on a ridge or plateau?

It's a plateau. Unlike the Taconics or the Northern Greens which are narrow, but steep ridges, the Southern Greens and Berkshires form a plateau. The S VT portion is higher and wider than the Berkshire portion with elevations averaging a bit over 2K and individual peaks over 3K.

I've noticed that the plateaus around here are considerably better for snow overall than the ridges, which is likely due to increased precipitation efficiency as moist air ascends over the plateau. Instead of immediately descending and drying as an air parcel crosses the crest of a ridge, the air stays saturated longer over a plateau, allowing more precipitation to condense out of the cloud. Seeder feeder also plays a role in enhancing precipitation there.

I've outlined roughly where the plateau is in S VT. North of Bromley, it becomes more of a spine.

post-48-0-55687800-1428791009_thumb.png

Looks like Sasquatch ^^^^^^^^^

Oddly enough not long ago I saw a show on tv claiming southern VT to be a hotspot for bigfoot sightings  :lol:. I know It's pretty common for the area around Woodford State Park at around 2300' to have 4'+ on the ground in March.. I bet most of the plateau keeps snow into early May this year judging by the pictures.

Oddly enough not long ago I saw a show on tv claiming southern VT to be a hotspot for bigfoot sightings  :lol:. I know It's pretty common for the area around Woodford State Park at around 2300' to have 4'+ on the ground in March.. I bet most of the plateau keeps snow into early May this year judging by the pictures.

"Finding Bigfoot" is coming to PWM to seek folks who have a "credible experience", for a Maine segment of the show.  He's everywhere!  And somehow Bigfoot manages to elude the million trailcams out there.

Bright sun and crunchy 15" pack this morning.  I'm guessing that the lawn gets uncovered sometime this coming weekend.

And a small plane crashed into it today, and is now stuck in the ice.

----------------------------

MILTON, Vt. -

A small plane crashed into Lake Champlain Saturday afternoon according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

An officer told WPTZ there were two people on board the plane when it crashed shortly before 2:30 p.m.

The pilot and one passenger are said to be out of the water and safe.

The plane is now stuck in the ice according to the Coast Guard. An officer said Grand Isle dispatched a crew to secure the plane which is half underwater east of Savage Island.

Police in Milton say fire and rescue is on the scene.

WPTZ will continue to provide updates as they come in.

Lol did you see the updated story? The clowns were apparently practicing their ice landings...in Mid-April...on a fast-melting, thinning, and breaking up lake. It landed and couldn't take back off because it was stuck and sinking.

I stopped by my lot late yesterday afternoon above 2.2K in Stamford, VT and there was still plenty of snow there with depths ranging from 23 to 26". It is a dense snow that you can walk on top of, so it's not going anywhere for a while. As such, any pending work will have to wait.

Even with next weeks warmup, it will likely be a slow melt if the dew points aren't too high and temperatures still dip to near or below freezing at night. Being in a dense evergreen spruce/fir forest also helps keep things shady so I wonder if they can keep some snow until May 1st?

attachicon.gifIMG_1022.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1021.JPG

Nice weenie spot there for sure. Similar pack I think up here too above 2K, need to have that coniferous shade though.

Wonder what the SN total was down at your place? 170-200? I think Mt Snow had around 200"

Archived