joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The winter is effectively over in the CPV as it appears there will be no big events upcoming. We will likely just sputter out into Spring. Either way it was a solid season even if our best and biggest snows were at the start of the winter.

This was A+

3/18 77.6 2012

3/19 77.4 2012

3/20 78.5 2012

3/21 80.9 2012

3/22 81.1 2012

3/23 68.4 2012

Heat+

I enjoyed that just because of the sheer absurdity.  Leaving work at the mountain in shorts after skiing all day, and turning the air conditioner on because the truck sat in the sun all day long and was like 90+ inside.

This was A+

3/18 77.6 2012

3/19 77.4 2012

3/20 78.5 2012

3/21 80.9 2012

3/22 81.1 2012

3/23 68.4 2012

Heat+

I enjoyed that just because of the sheer absurdity.  Leaving work at the mountain in shorts after skiing all day, and turning the air conditioner on because the truck sat in the sun all day long and was like 90+ inside.

#BestMarchEver

Hey PF: Whats your weekend forecast look like for the mountain this weekend?  There should be some significant (4"+) snow accumulation by 6 am Sunday right?  Cheers!

Per my novice reading of  the GFS, things look dryer and a little colder Saturday and snowier Sunday. moderate event for central Vermont mountains (if GFS is correct). 

Per my novice reading of  the GFS, things look dryer and a little colder Saturday and snowier Sunday. moderate event for central Vermont mountains (if GFS is correct). 

Yeah, 12z GFS came in dryer on Saturday night due to the northern low not digging early enough.  

12z Canadian came in much warmer with the precipitation.  Looks like rain up to central VT until the back end switches them back to snow.  With some elevation it could be a paste job for Stowe, Sugarbush, Smugglers, and Bolton.

Anyone know how BTV airport does with getting flights out during a moderate snowstorm?  I'm looking to fly out of BTV at 5pm on Sunday - is that wishful thinking?

Thanks to anyone who has some experience with this airport in the winter!

You'll be fine.  BTV is really good at staying open unless its real bad.  And this has the looks of like a rain/snow slop at BTV so it may not even be that big of a deal.  It may be more of an elevation event, honestly I wouldn't worry about flying into the airport. 

Anyone know how BTV airport does with getting flights out during a moderate snowstorm?  I'm looking to fly out of BTV at 5pm on Sunday - is that wishful thinking?

Thanks to anyone who has some experience with this airport in the winter!

My experience is that BTV is generally pretty good.  Cancellations and delays are often due to weather issues at connecting airports.

My experience is that BTV is generally pretty good.  Cancellations and delays are often due to weather issues at connecting airports.

Yeah, anytime I've heard of an issue flying to BTV its related to weather happening elsewhere.  Like the plane you are supposed to be using is stuck in another city or something. 

Yeah, anytime I've heard of an issue flying to BTV its related to weather happening elsewhere.  Like the plane you are supposed to be using is stuck in another city or something. 

I don't know if the claim is still true, but a few years ago I read something about MHT having never closed due to snow.

Not sure if I should be impressed or frightened.

Thanks guys for your feedback re: BTV.  

Also - as discussed above - MHT is also very good at keeping the runways open.  It helps when that the total number of flights is so much less than Boston that they can clear the runways every 25 minutes if needed.

You'll be fine.  BTV is really good at staying open unless its real bad.  And this has the looks of like a rain/snow slop at BTV so it may not even be that big of a deal.  It may be more of an elevation event, honestly I wouldn't worry about flying into the airport. 

When you have to be able to scramble fighter jets in the event of a national emergency (aka 9-11) your runway tends to be pretty clear. 

Your problem comes from LGA, JFK, EWR, PHL, etc.  They don't quite do as good with the getting the planes to BTV. 

As for the wx, not even going to register as an event in the CPV.  A few sloppy inches one way or the other. 

Archived