Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 2.4” Snow/0.17” L.E.

There was 0.13” in the snow core from this evening, but 0.16” in the rain gauge, so there may have been a bit of liquid that fell as rain in this event as PF mentioned earlier.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.13 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.2

Snow Density: 6.2% H2O

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 13.5 inches

Event totals: 2.5” Snow/0.18” L.E.

There was an additional 0.1” of snow overnight at the house.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 13.5 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy/Flurries

Snow at the stake: 13.5 inches

The north to south listing of reported snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas from this storm is below; the Killington area seemed to do well with this storm, but the totals simply fell off a cliff south of there in the southern part of the state:

Jay Peak: 3”

Burke: 1”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 5”

Pico: 6”

Killington: 6”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

Yeah very similar situation at Sugarbush. Judging from my experiences, The Forerunner does seem more burly than Bravo or Gate House, feels like it has just a ton of more power.

Either way today will go down as one of the windiest days I have ever skied; in fact, I think the only place I've seen windier is on Chair 23 next to the Mammoth saddle! The sheer blast of air in the exposed places today did feel like a Sierran ridge gust following a strong cold front.

Gusts near 40 at my sheltered location, judging by house creaks. 

Only time I experienced a wind closure while skiing was in Fort Kent back in March, 1980, and it wasn't due to the uphill transport - not often to get a wind hold on a rope tow.  However, one gust lifted a slightly built adult off the intermediate trail and into a tree.  He was not badly hurt (knee) but opted for a toboggan ride anyway.  When the manage heard about it, things shut down immediately.  (Two days later, Route 1 traffic between PQI and CAR was still being diverted to a potato field east of the highway due to well packed 15' drifts atop the pavement.)

Thank you. It was a small window before clouds moved back in. The usual in VT lol.

Ain't that the truth!  I've learned to be hopeful, but not too excited.

I saw similar conditions down here in Orwell last night.  The sky was noticeably brighter, tinged green, and there were hints of red hanging in the sky that disappeared if you looked too closely at them.  And just when I thought I had a handle on what I was seeing, a bank of clouds skittered across the horizon.

Not sure John, Oceanstwx probably can answer this better then i can, I'm pretty sure they should be close to the top of the list if not number 1 i would think based on there ongoing snowfall all season

Just saw a facebook post by a cocorahs observer from Eastport, stating that total snowfall was "14 feet 7.4 inches", including 5.7" from the latest event.   My top winter (1976-77) in Ft. Kent had 186.7", and EPO is less than a foot away from beating that, about 23" from topping CAR's record 2007-08.

Just saw a facebook post by a cocorahs observer from Eastport, stating that total snowfall was "14 feet 7.4 inches", including 5.7" from the latest event.   My top winter (1976-77) in Ft. Kent had 186.7", and EPO is less than a foot away from beating that, about 23" from topping CAR's record 2007-08.

That is impressive if my maths right 175.40", Its possible they could top Ft Kent, There next shot is Saturday at adding to there total

That is impressive if my maths right 175.40", Its possible they could top Ft Kent, There next shot is Saturday at adding to there total

That FK number is my unofficial total on West Main Street; I also had 185.8" in 1981-82 in the back settlement 450' higher than in town.  Record for the coop at the water company site is 171.2" in 1954-55, so the EPO cocorahs has gone by that one.  CAR's record is 197.8"; somehow, FK had 40" less that winter (which I don't believe is valid, but I've ranted before about FK's snowfall numbers.)

Ha!

Nice out.

The college basketball tournament is when I start thinking spring. Still hoping for one more good snow storm, but the fat lady is definitely warming up.

If you'd have been up here this week you know that it doesn't matter if she's fat or thin, she needs to warm up. Dry, cold and windy I'm sick of static shocks and chapped lips. Either gimme some more snow or melt it, this is boring.

Archived