• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

Not sure John, Oceanstwx probably can answer this better then i can, I'm pretty sure they should be close to the top of the list if not number 1 i would think based on there ongoing snowfall all season

I'm not sure if the Coop at Eastport is still active or not (possible that they only report a few months at a time), but they have a regular CoCoRaHS reporters that has 174.9" on the season.

That's more than Pinkham and Pittsburg. Not really sure (outside of elevation) where we could expect a higher total in New England.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if the Coop at Eastport is still active or not (possible that they only report a few months at a time), but they have a regular CoCoRaHS reporters that has 174.9" on the season.

That's more than Pinkham and Pittsburg. Not really sure (outside of elevation) where we could expect a higher total in New England.

I think that total would rank #3 at CAR, and might top any of the other Aroostook #1s. Other Maine sites having had more lie in the Western Mts - Long Falls Dam, Eustis, Rangeley, Jackman (and I'm not sure about those last two having ever topped 175".)

I'm giving John in Pittsburg a solid 4-5 inches. He's due for some climo catch up.

Yeah that sounds reasonable. Best moisture lifts a little north of here but Jay Peak to Pittsburg will probably get several inches...especially due to their elevations above 1800ft.

I just drove home and it actually changed to light rain around 1200ft here once evap cooling processes finished. The dew depressions kept it snow to start even in the valley but now that it's saturating, it's over to light rain down here at 750ft.

Can't believe how great the snow still is in the upper elevations. I'll be happy with another few inches tonight, because it's pretty great base.

It was dumping at the mtn when I left. Light to moderate here at the house.

Ran into a moose today for the first time ever. Wow.

Yeah it's still mid-winter in the higher elevations. Cool stuff on the moose. I've seen 3 while skiing on Mansfield and it's always a highlight of the winter to see one. Haven't seen one this year.

1550 miles last 2 days, back from Florida.  Very interesting to see the foliage changes and weather changes as I drove up the coast.  I'll post that in the spring musings thread.

33.7F light snow.  100% snow coverage snow stake depth 10".  Deer are all out in my orchard, they must be starving burning so many calories and constant snowcover.  Maybe by next weekend I'll have a few bare spots on south facing slopes and under apple trees.  Has anyone heard how the deer are holding up this winter?

1550 miles last 2 days, back from Florida. Very interesting to see the foliage changes and weather changes as I drove up the coast. I'll post that in the spring musings thread.

33.7F light snow. 100% snow coverage snow stake depth 10". Deer are all out in my orchard, they must be starving burning so many calories and constant snowcover. Maybe by next weekend I'll have a few bare spots on south facing slopes and under apple trees. Has anyone heard how the deer are holding up this winter?

Welcome back. A stark contrast in temp compared to the south land.

Had 1.1" at near 30F last evening, then 5F and windy at 7 AM. Afternoon high in teens will be spoiled by 29F when I recorded at 9 last night. Core yielded 6.63" SWE yesterday, up almost an inch since 2/28 but about avg for the date. Had over 10" this time last year (and 42" snowpack compared to current 25"), with no drama in the meltoff.

Does the radar adequately sample the lower levels near Bartlett? I gotta think radar is fairly useless in sensing low level orographic snows.

The radar samples at about 3,000 feet AGL in that area. So it's really not the worst location in our CWA (though you don't have to go too far NW before you get serious interference with the Whites).

But as you know orographic snow can be quite shallow.

There is still plenty of snow out there, Did a 155 mile loop from Newport to Brownville and back yesterday, Had a nice lunch at the Wildwoods Lodge on Schoodic Lake, Buddy of mine checking the depth

Newport%201_zpsoidicmiy.jpg

Newport%202_zpstta3utgu.jpg

Newport%203_zpsg6pjgayk.jpg

Nice eric. sat at the same table 2 weeks ago. Did 80 miles in Andover today. Short day, but trails were pretty damn nice. That 1-3" last night made a huge difference. Some bumps here and there, but not much traffic. Mid winter. 15F and howling winds. Pretty sure that was my last ride for the season. 1262 miles. Wish I could have done more. Always hate the last ride since I know it'll be awhile till the next one.

There is still plenty of snow out there, Did a 155 mile loop from Newport to Brownville and back yesterday, Had a nice lunch at the Wildwoods Lodge on Schoodic Lake, Buddy of mine checking the depth

Nice eric. sat at the same table 2 weeks ago. Did 80 miles in Andover today. Short day, but trails were pretty damn nice. That 1-3" last night made a huge difference. Some bumps here and there, but not much traffic. Mid winter. 15F and howling winds. Pretty sure that was my last ride for the season. 1262 miles. Wish I could have done more. Always hate the last ride since I know it'll be awhile till the next one.

Did a few of the best miles of the year today, well my 11 year old did. He rode around our yard and the park next door so many times he must have put on 5 or 6 miles.  I froze my a** standing out in the wind and 15F conditions but it was worth it.

post-363-0-68268900-1427068857_thumb.jpg

got my last ride in this weekend as well. only about 40 miles, as rocks and stumps were starting to show through in the sunny spots. not a bad season, did just over 800 miles.

Archived