• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Winter - Maple Sugaring and Soft Snow

mreaves

And BTV just upgraded Lamoille and Washington Counties to a Winter Weather Advisory for 3-5" of wet snow... so they are seeing the slightly snowier appeal to the 12z models.

Thanks for the update, I hadn’t seen that.  The latest BTV NWS maps are below:

14MAR15C.jpg

14MAR15D.jpg

It looks like we’ve got some very light flakes of snow out there as we speak.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.5" of soaking wet snow at home in town.

2.5" of very dense (but not necessarily wet) snow up at the base of the mountain.  Its almost like a sleet type ratio where its not crusty but you can walk on it.

I have no idea how this is going to ski.  Could be really good and smooth, or....

1.5" of soaking wet snow at home in town.

2.5" of very dense (but not necessarily wet) snow up at the base of the mountain.  Its almost like a sleet type ratio where its not crusty but you can walk on it.

I have no idea how this is going to ski.  Could be really good and smooth, or....

Cornmeal, like the 2.5" of 6:1 snow that fell 9P thru 7 this morning - all snow at 26-28F, but almost all tiny "flakes". The 1.5" snow 5:30-9 last night came with slightly higher temps (and a trace of dz to start, after 3 hr of non-accum mood flakes) but had 11:1 ratio.

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.26” L.E.

There was some liquid on the bottom of the stack here at the house, but the top of the stack was much drier than I would have though based on the temperature.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.26 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.6

Snow Density: 21.7% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

The north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this storm is below.  Totals drop as one heads southward, with some icing problems reported to the south and little accumulation south of the Killington area.

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 2”

Middlebury: 2”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0.25”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

We got blocked on this side of the mountain today with the mid-level northeasterly and northerly wind, so only added 0.7" at 1,500ft for a total of 3.2".  Up at 3,000ft fared better with the protected area (winds were howling at times) showing 1.5" or a bit more for a total around 4.5" up there.

I bet Smuggs and Bolton though on the west side got hit pretty decently.  Wouldn't surprise me if they picked up another 3" today.

We got blocked on this side of the mountain today with the mid-level northeasterly and northerly wind, so only added 0.7" at 1,500ft for a total of 3.2".  Up at 3,000ft fared better with the protected area (winds were howling at times) showing 1.5" or a bit more for a total around 4.5" up there.

I bet Smuggs and Bolton though on the west side got hit pretty decently.  Wouldn't surprise me if they picked up another 3" today.

Had light snow here all day today but didn't accumulate to much, maybe an inch or a little more, and didn't stick to pavement. Wintry feel though with stiff north winds blowing around what did accumulate.

Had light snow here all day today but didn't accumulate to much, maybe an inch or a little more, and didn't stick to pavement. Wintry feel though with stiff north winds blowing around what did accumulate.

Yep looks like we may have had 1.5 inches or so total here but the wind was blowing things around quite a bit. It was nice to see flakes in the air most of the day but it definitely struggled to stick.

For Dryslot and Lava Rock.  Here is a piece done by the CBS affiliate in our area about snowmobiling.  It was filmed on our trail system and shows how good a condition they are in.

http://www.wcax.com/story/28308594/is-the-vt-snowmobiling-industry-making-a-comeback

Looks sweet, Conditions are only improving up here after this weekend overall

Actually got a little more snow than I thought.  I measured in the backyard on top of the snowpack and found 3.8" there.

I see Wolfeboro did well with 6.3"

It was neat to see the slightly higher hills have more snow stuck to them early this afternoon.  The trees in the foreground are at about 550' and the hill is 990'.  Didn't show up as well in a photo.

post-18-0-43706100-1426462416_thumb.jpg

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.26” L.E.

There was some liquid on the bottom of the stack here at the house, but the top of the stack was much drier than I would have though based on the temperature.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.26 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.6

Snow Density: 21.7% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

The north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this storm is below. Totals drop as one heads southward, with some icing problems reported to the south and little accumulation south of the Killington area.

Jay Peak: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 2”

Middlebury: 2”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0.25”

Mount Snow: 0”

Sb updated the total to 4" up top as of this afternoon. Makes sense since there was 2" when I started skiing at 8:30 and it was dumping for awhile ghereafter

I'm going to trailer to Newport next Saturday

Sent from my iPhone

I was out panning trails today back home (just south of Greenville) thinking the snow would be done by Noon. Nope, had to be closing in on a foot when I left at 3:30pm and she was still coming down hard. Trails should be great Newport north next weekend.

I was out panning trails today back home (just south of Greenville) thinking the snow would be done by Noon. Nope, had to be closing in on a foot when I left at 3:30pm and she was still coming down hard. Trails should be great Newport north next weekend.

Yeah figured as much, Good to hear I know the milli area was at least 12"+ going to head that way and over to your area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually got a little more snow than I thought.  I measured in the backyard on top of the snowpack and found 3.8" there.

I see Wolfeboro did well with 6.3"

It was neat to see the slightly higher hills have more snow stuck to them early this afternoon.  The trees in the foreground are at about 550' and the hill is 990'.  Didn't show up as well in a photo.

attachicon.gifDSCN0415.JPG

WTF

Event totals: 2.7” Snow/0.42” L.E.

We found 1.4” on the snowboard when we got home from skiing this afternoon, and it’s continued to be dense stuff with a good contribution to the snowpack.  It was cloudy at observations time, but we’ve had another round of snow with a couple of additional tenths down since then.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.17 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.2

Snow Density: 12.1% H2O

Temperature: 28.8 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

For those Vermont ski areas that provided an afternoon update, I’ve topped off the north to south listing of reported storm totals below.  Totals have roughly doubled since this morning, with Bolton and Jay now topping the list with 7 and 8 inches respectively.  Totals are still low as one heads southward, with minimal additional accumulation south of the Killington area.

Jay Peak: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Mount Snow: 1”

We were at Stowe this afternoon and it was snowing just about the entire time.  It came down with varying intensity, sometimes quite hard, and the flakes were always on the small side so the accumulations were dense and provided a very nice resurfacing.  I’d say accumulations were 4-5” by the afternoon, just like the evening update of their report would suggest, and with powder of that density it was more than enough to float you.  Winds were high at times, so after a run on the Gondola, we spent the rest of the stormy afternoon off the Mountain Triple Chair, and it was just run after run after run of sheltered powder in the trees.  It was Mt. Mansfield as usual delivering yet another powder day.  I’ve added a few storm-related photos from the afternoon below:

15MAR15A.jpg

15MAR15D.jpg

15MAR15F.jpg

Archived