• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

NAM joins GFS for the Fri AM single digits.  Record low for the date is 10, I think, and if DCA does reach single digits, that would be the latest it has done it.*

*happy to be corrected by someone with better records.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the NAM QPF if puts down .75"+ between 7AM and 4PM.  So about 7.5" (using 10-1 ratio) in 9 hours, which averages out to a rate of nearly inch/hour  (exactly .83" of snow/hour).  I have a hard time believing we can do inch per hour in DC metro for close to 9 hours, but if it's anywhere close to reality, that will be one hell of a show! 

I really hope local weather emphasizes the snowfall rates, as what's being advertised by all the models would be crippling rates of snow for 6-9 hours that could leave motorists stranded on the roads much like commutegeddon. The rates are almost more important to emphasize than the total accumulation, IMHO - since road crews likely won't be able to keep up with the rates currently being advertised.

Yeah, thank God the NAM came aboard.  No way I would have felt confident with only the combination of GFS, EURO, UKMET, GGEM, SREFS, RGEM et all showing this.     Storm uncancel!  

God, that is an awesome post.  That said, wasn't the Euro much drier this morning?  I was scanning the thread this morning and looked like the Euro sucked all the moisture out of the system.  

Edit: The GFS, not the Euro. 

I really hope local weather emphasizes the snowfall rates, as what's being advertised by all the models would be crippling rates of snow for 6-9 hours that could leave motorists stranded on the roads much like commutegeddon. The rates are almost more important to emphasize than the total accumulation, IMHO - since road crews likely won't be able to keep up with the rates currently being advertised.

If this happens as advertised, I don't think we'll have a Commutageddon disaster.  That event hit at the end of the day with everyone at work already.  This one will be starting around or before the morning commute, and by then I'm sure there will be cancellations/delays/telework/etc. in place.

But you're right, a mention of how treacherous it could be might at least keep people from attempting to go out on the roads.

here is my happiness chart. It dosent take much for me

1-3 inches.....March 2001/Dec 2010 type bust

4-5 inches....deflating. " I spent all these hours on this storm for 4 inches"

6 inches....cool. When is the next one

8 to 9 inches. Satisfaction

10 or more inches. This winter didnt suck after all. 2 double digit storms for me!

God, that is an awesome post.  That said, wasn't the Euro much drier this morning?  I was scanning the thread this morning and looked like the Euro sucked all the moisture out of the system.  

Yes, Euro looked great last night (so did the entire 00Z suite actually), 06Z GFS raised eyebrows.  Hopefully it goes more on the precip at 12Z.

here is my happiness chart. It dosent take much for me

1-3 inches.....March 2001/Dec 2010 type bust

4-5 inches....deflating. " I spent all these hours on this storm for 4 inches"

6 inches....cool. When is the next one

8 to 9 inches. Satisfaction

10 or more inches. This winter didnt suck after all. 2 double digit storms for me!

Sounds about right!

whats it show for queens? A dusting?

It looks like it's reacting to down sloping off of the hills...just like thunderstorm...see that white stripe...it goes right through our hood. I'm fully on board for 6.8" and yes...I'm gonna come home this afternoon ;)

for the southern region of the LWX area and based upon latest guidance, still looking good for a general 3-6 in the EZF area...keep the bar set at a realistic range and be very happy with an above climo snowfall in a pretty rare setup.  if everything works out perfectly, maybe someone down here slants a 6"+ measurement.

eta: fully expecting a 'pulsing' of the precip pattern.  have seen it many times in these setups (albeit with rainfall) where the prog is for hours and hours of heavy rain and it turns out to be periods of very heavy precip w/ pretty well defined lulls between. not a total shutting off of the precip, but down to heavy misting at times.

NAM joins GFS for the Fri AM single digits. Record low for the date is 10, I think, and if DCA does reach single digits, that would be the latest it has done it.*

*happy to be corrected by someone with better records.

I haven't looked but id bet DCA doesn't go below 10.

That was the 6z GFS, yes.   We'll see in a few minutes if it was a burp or real trend.

Archived