• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5th Snow Threat

WxUSAF

euro has a known snow cover bias with cold and the gfs has the same apparently post upgrade. never say never at dulles if it's close but even chopping 10 off MOS keeps above zero if just a bit. Single digits seem quite likely.. widespread below 0s probably won't happen.

The 18Z GFS is slower bringing the cold air in then the 12Z version, it's almost got the timing of the 12Z NAM.  The 18Z NAM has the timing of several of the 03Z Sref members that some here were bad mouthing. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is an ensemble of thickness; it seems to support a slower arrival of the cold air mass.

Not sure what the reddish pink line demarcates, am guess it is a critical freezing level.  If so,

it passes across Baltimore and across the west side of DC

attachicon.gifmslp_f072_usbg.gif

congrats PA

Honestly I'm feeling uneasy about these north shifts in the SREF and even the NAM... regardless of their reputations. Is it a trend like PG claimed? Not at this point, but to me it's still a red flag.

What am I missing?   1pm Wed to 1am Thurs?  With an anticipated turnover from rain/sleet to snow circa midnight to 2am Thursday am, that just doesn't make sense.  If DT means 1pm Wed to 1pm Thurs, then maybe that's feasible, if not bullish on the upper end of the spectrum. 

I'm about 95% sure he meant 1 PM wed to 1 PM thursday. 

congrats PA

Honestly I'm feeling uneasy about these north shifts in the SREF and even the NAM... regardless of their reputations. Is it a trend like PG claimed? Not at this point, but to me it's still a red flag.

Agree. Sure, they could be wrong (Hope so!) but these jogs north, waiting for cold air, possible timing issues, at least make me pessimistic a little. Where's that 0Z NAM?

What am I missing?   1pm Wed to 1am Thurs?  With an anticipated turnover from rain/sleet to snow circa midnight to 2am Thursday am, that just doesn't make sense.  If DT means 1pm Wed to 1pm Thurs, then maybe that's feasible, if not bullish on the upper end of the spectrum. 

That is only starting times, so he has DC starting with snow, roughly 1AM Thurs

congrats PA

I'm sure it is too soon  to know the timing.  One thing to take an interest in the fact that 850 mb temperatures moving into our region are 3 standard deviations below the mean (briefly, there will be quick moderation).  So if the timing is optimal, our region will get significant snow.

congrats PA

It's okay if the cold air takes longer to get in as long as the precip also does.   Basically, the more positively tilted the troff, the better our chances of snow instead of rain.  18z NAM was a lot less positively tilted than the GFS at 60hrs.

That is only starting times, so he has DC starting with snow, roughly 1AM Thurs

Yea, the second map is the starting times, which seems reasonable based on current runs.  I'm referring to the other map to the left of that one - the 1st guess map showing DC and much of the DELMARVA 8-12 by 1am Thursday.  He must mean 1pm Wed to 1pm Thurs.   As much as I'd love anything over 8, will believe it when I am plowing it on Thursday afternoon.  

Yea, the second map is the starting times, which seems reasonable based on current runs.  I'm referring to the other map to the left of that one - the 1st guess map showing DC and much of the DELMARVA 8-12 by 1am Thursday.  He must mean 1pm Wed to 1pm Thurs.   As much as I'd love anything over 8, will believe it when I am plowing it on Thursday afternoon.  

Yeah, that map is certainly overly bullish...I think most expectations would be 4-8 if all goes right.

Archived