• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

Yeah.. we need more or this could just evaporate at game time. Still seems we're chasing a 1-3" or so anyway.

Pretty much. I'm not sure how much more can change at this point. It would be a Jan 2000 type situation to get a decent hit at this point. I'm not sure that's ever going to happen again. Models are exponentially better at shorter ranges.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29.45 low right at coast is going to kick back more nw and big high out west not pushing in yet

Thanks.

Has not happened yet I know but I will key on this and not worry about quickers or kickers.

In the contours of the coastal, they indicate a ene-ne move. That would be indicative of a weaker low. Anything 29.4/5 like will be taking a ne-nne move. 

I have to say I am really shocked at the huge difference between the SREF and global models. I mean, I know the SREF are too extreme in many of its members but it's been doing well this year down here. Hard to believe it is THAT wrong, but anything can happen these days. Also, I am not really excited that the GFS looks crappy because it's been performing better this year.

I have to say I am really shocked at the huge difference between the SREF and global models. I mean, I know the SREF are too extreme in many of its members but it's been doing well this year down here. Hard to believe it is THAT wrong, but anything can happen these days. Also, I am not really excited that the GFS looks crappy because it's been performing better this year.

Something has to give sooner or later. Global cave toward the short range or vice versa or a middle of the road solution.

The SREFs can be a useful tool, if you understand their biases.  In general, only the SREF NMM members are worth much.   The ARW and NMB members have a pronounced NW/wet bias with coastal storms.

Averaging the NMM members from the past 2 SREF runs gives a mean of about 0.05" QPF at LGA, 0.1" at ISP and 0.2" on the Twin Forks.  

Ratios should be around 20:1.  This site has a good objective snow ratio forecast based on NAM and GFS:

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=namm

DCA SREFs

ARW mean:  0.95" qpf

NMM mean:  0.08" qpf

NMB mean:  0.58" qpf

Excellent consistency

Above is probably your answer. He is a very good met who posts in the NY forum who now lives out of the country.

Everything in general seems to be ticking north. The SREFS are probably over amped but showing the right trend and the GFS/NAM/Euro operational runs too dry. While no two systems are alike, the pattern looks similar to the Feb 16 event. Question is do we get better lift in the snow growth zone or does it stay south again?

Something has to give sooner or later. Global cave toward the short range or vice versa or a middle of the road solution.

SREFs and Globals seem to start with a different premise about the conditions in the immediate term, so wouldn't this preclude a middle of the road solution?

Everything in general seems to be ticking north. The SREFS are probably over amped but showing the right trend and the GFS/NAM/Euro operational runs too dry. While no two systems are alike, the pattern looks similar to the Feb 16 event. Question is do we get better lift in the snow growth zone or does it stay south again?

So what is your gut feeling/forecast in this situation? If you had to make a call accumulation wise.....

12z UKIE

42 - 1002mb SLP right on the coast at the SC/GA border

48 - 998 off of OBX

60 - bye bye way out to sea

Here is the 48hr QPF map -- http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=en&map=na&run=12&mod=ukmet&stn=PNMPR&comp=1&run2=-99&mod2=cmc_anal&stn2=PNMPR&hh2=060&fixhh=1&stn2_type=anal&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=048

I was forecast to get about 0.5" of precip in that one.  I don't see any of the major models giving me that kind of precip...yet.

The Jan 30, 2010 event has ruined me forever.  It makes me think a massive shift within 24 hours is always possible.

Archived