Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

The latest thoughts from JB 1:

He said remember the storm I got caught off guard on, before the blizzard? Came up the coast, and 4 days before I did not even think it had a chance ( that's right, I remember mistakes) Anyone seeing the same kind of thing going on here, but with a lot more cold air?
In any case he sees this as not far away from turning into a real headache all the way up to New England. Slow the southern branch down a bit and since the big height fall center with the clipper is back in the midwest, it can get interesting. As it is, the western system should come in with snows, and at 30-1 it will be a good storm over the Miss valley into the midwest and that snow should hold together north of the areas that get the snow with the system from the south, which looks to be all the way to at least the Mason DIxon line. This time the snow in DC will fall with a wind that wont cause me to gawk.
So here is what I think... Look for the southern storm to shift north a bit more
The storm from the west to hold more with it north of its track.
And the system early next week, another frontal snow, to have its snow swatch shift south more then currently modeled 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said remember the storm I got caught off guard on, before the blizzard? Came up the coast, and 4 days before I did not even think it had a chance ( that's right, I remember mistakes) Anyone seeing the same kind of thing going on here, but with a lot more cold air?

In any case he sees this as not far away from turning into a real headache all the way up to New England. Slow the southern branch down a bit and since the big height fall center with the clipper is back in the midwest, it can get interesting. As it is, the western system should come in with snows, and at 30-1 it will be a good storm over the Miss valley into the midwest and that snow should hold together north of the areas that get the snow with the system from the south, which looks to be all the way to at least the Mason DIxon line. This time the snow in DC will fall with a wind that wont cause me to gawk.

So here is what I think... Look for the southern storm to shift north a bit more

And the system early next week, another frontal snow, to have its snow swatch shift south more then currently modeled 

Basically, weenie prediction 1, 2, and 3

that guy would find a way to make it snow in a summer thunderstorm if he could!

I can see several inches falling from this. Further south areas especially. I would play a general 10:1 ratio...we all got burned trying to forecast 15-20:1 ratios on the Feb 16 event. I don't think the surface low will drastically come further north but the vort max and trough will push precip north. I like the trends.

At hr 48 for the GEFS members using the AmWx Model Center ;) :

14 of the 20 members have DCA touching or inside the 0.10 QPF line

3 of the 20 members have DCA close by or inside the 0.25 QPF line

The trend from 0z is impressive.  If we get that same trend for the next 24 hours, we'd be in business.

I was forecast to get about 0.5" of precip in that one.  I don't see any of the major models giving me that kind of precip...yet.

The Jan 30, 2010 event has ruined me forever.  It makes me think a massive shift within 24 hours is always possible.

The 1/30/10 storm didn't really shift that much the last 24 hours, it had a slow north trend the last 48 hours true, but the bigger development that got our area into snowfall was the models missing the band of decent qpf along the nw fringe of the system due to convergence along the edge of the CCB and the high due to the major block in place.  The low trended slightly  north and that got us into it but it was a combo of that band of like .25 qpf and crazy high ratios that did it the most.  I doubt we see such a band in this system without any blocking.  That of course could also allow it to trend north more so its a double edged sword.  What we need here, or at least those of us NW of DC, is something more like 2000 where this bombs and phases and comes north without models seeing it 48 hours out.  DC south could do good without much change at all. 

The 1/30/10 storm didn't really shift that much the last 24 hours, it had a slow north trend the last 48 hours true, but the bigger development that got our area into snowfall was the models missing the band of decent qpf along the nw fringe of the system due to convergence along the edge of the CCB and the high due to the major block in place.  The low trended slightly  north and that got us into it but it was a combo of that band of like .25 qpf and crazy high ratios that did it the most.  I doubt we see such a band in this system without any blocking.  That of course could also allow it to trend north more so its a double edged sword.  What we need here, or at least those of us NW of DC, is something more like 2000 where this bombs and phases and comes north without models seeing it 48 hours out.  DC south could do good without much change at all. 

That is absolutely not true.  

I do not know where a person could find archived NAM images from the 36 hours leading up to that storm, but my local forecast went from a 10% chance of snow on Friday morning at 7am to a 100% chance of snow on Sat at 7am.

If you can find evidence that says I'm wrong, I'll be glad to look at it.

I do not know where a person could find archived NAM images from the 36 hours leading up to that storm, but my local forecast went from a 10% chance of snow on Friday morning at 7am to a 100% chance of snow on Sat at 7am.

We're inside of 48 hours now.  It's going to be hard to get huge model changes inside that, IMO.   Never say never, but I think we needed to see some major movement with the 12z runs.

We're inside of 48 hours now.  It's going to be hard to get huge model changes inside that, IMO.   Never say never, but I think we needed to see some major movement with the 12z runs.

Might be superstitious, but I don't think you can ever count on 18z for a big trender either. Seems like it always happens at 0z and 12z

I remember the day before the storm, DC was looking good for 4-8", while Baltimore north were on the fringe. I'm not sure how it looked in Winchester, but I remember that band setting up north of Baltimore was a total surprise and made it a huge overperformer.

I remember the day before the storm, DC was looking good for 4-8", while Baltimore north were on the fringe. I'm not sure how it looked in Winchester, but I remember that band setting up north of Baltimore was a total surprise and made it a huge overperformer.

post-115-0-47068600-1424800627_thumb.png

a bit OT but as someone who does GIS, don't you think that's a really sloppy map?

No they weren't.  Richmond looked good.  Not DC.

By Friday morning, almost nobody in our area had hope.  The models had looked good a couple days earlier, but had steadily trended to nearly nothing.

There were no advisories anywhere near us Friday morning.  By Friday afternoon, Frederick Co was the only county in Virginia not under an advisory of some kind.  By 11 PM Friday night, Frederick County was the only county not under a Winter Storm Warning.  By the next morning, we were under a Winter Storm Warning.

I"m not going to waste any more time talking about it.  When somebody can prove I'm wrong with archived data, then we'll talk.  Until that time, no more.

Archived