joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a significant shift north with the precip shield...

It is but even more importantly, low was a good bit stronger (sub 1k) and tucked closer than 0z. Similar to some of the ensemble solutions that brought 2"+ to dca a day or 2 ago.

I'm really not sure what the upside is here. probably not much but seeing some accum snow would be nice even if light.

No they weren't.  Richmond looked good.  Not DC.

By Friday morning, almost nobody in our area had hope.  The models had looked good a couple days earlier, but had steadily trended to nearly nothing.

There were no advisories anywhere near us Friday morning.  By Friday afternoon, Frederick Co was the only county in Virginia not under an advisory of some kind.  By 11 PM Friday night, Frederick County was the only county not under a Winter Storm Warning.  By the next morning, we were under a Winter Storm Warning.

I"m not going to waste any more time talking about it.  When somebody can prove I'm wrong with archived data, then we'll talk.  Until that time, no more.

Found this on CWG, written 1130am on the 29th

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2010/01/update_slight_shift_north_with_snow_accumulations.html

only advisories had been issued at this time for the southern areas. 

at the bottom of the article you can click "previous/next". 

that will give you a decent timeline of events. But youre def right... not much was expected even friday night. 

That is absolutely not true.  

I do not know where a person could find archived NAM images from the 36 hours leading up to that storm, but my local forecast went from a 10% chance of snow on Friday morning at 7am to a 100% chance of snow on Sat at 7am.

If you can find evidence that says I'm wrong, I'll be glad to look at it.

We are talking about 2 different things, you are talking about what the model qpf showed and I am talking about the SLP and H5 track of the storm.  I usually don't even look at the qpf until after I have seen the h5/slp.  The models are awful at qpf sometimes so I would rather see what they are showing without the precip there to bias my interpretation of the run.  The track of that storm did not shift a great deal the last 24 hours what shifted was the models precip associated with the low.  From 48 hours out they were missing that band along the northwest edge of the storm.  From a week out that storm was actually a big hit for our area then it shifted way south, then back close, after that it was only minor adjustments north in the actual slp track.  The actual track shifted a little north the last 24 hours but mostly what shifted was a much more expansive precip shield then models had depicted.  That's what got us into it.  I am doubtful of such an expansive qpf this time with a positive NAO.  On the other hand perhaps the actual slp can shift further north this time for the same reason. 

No they weren't.  Richmond looked good.  Not DC.

By Friday morning, almost nobody in our area had hope.  The models had looked good a couple days earlier, but had steadily trended to nearly nothing.

There were no advisories anywhere near us Friday morning.  By Friday afternoon, Frederick Co was the only county in Virginia not under an advisory of some kind.  By 11 PM Friday night, Frederick County was the only county not under a Winter Storm Warning.  By the next morning, we were under a Winter Storm Warning.

I"m not going to waste any more time talking about it.  When somebody can prove I'm wrong with archived data, then we'll talk.  Until that time, no more.

This is a different argument... you are right if you are arguing that the forecasts changed and we were expecting the storm to miss to the south.  That is true.  What I am saying is the reason that was wrong was not that the storm shifted way north at the last minute, it is that the precip field turned out to be much more expansive then expected.

This is a different argument... you are right if you are arguing that the forecasts changed and we were expecting the storm to miss to the south.  That is true.  What I am saying is the reason that was wrong was not that the storm shifted way north at the last minute, it is that the precip field turned out to be much more expansive then expected.

what saved us in Jan, 2010 was the CRAS

and it will save us this week too    :)  

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cras/cras45_NA/12/index_pcp_m_loop.html

Found this on CWG, written 1130am on the 29th

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2010/01/update_slight_shift_north_with_snow_accumulations.html

only advisories had been issued at this time for the southern areas. 

at the bottom of the article you can click "previous/next". 

that will give you a decent timeline of events. But youre def right... not much was expected even friday night. 

Thank you.  And, when I have time, I plan to visit the "links to past events" thread that MN posted here some time ago.

Thank you.  And, when I have time, I plan to visit the "links to past events" thread that MN posted here some time ago.

it wont be here -- American didn't start until late 2010. 

You'd have to check Eastern

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/forum/15-weather-forecasting-and-discussion/page__prune_day__100__sort_by__Z-A__sort_key__last_post__topicfilter__all__st__1720

start there

We have some tight consensus with globals right now. Ukie is the wettest. Euro is driest. GFS-GGEM in between.

Is it time to start talking about a Ukie wet bias (at least with these southern stream coastals)? Anecdotally (I know, I know), it feels like it's been super aggressive. Then again, it's hard to say. All of that metric system gibberish makes it tough to tell. If UKMET measured precip in a God-fearing English unit of measurement like inches, bags, firkins, ells, leagues, perches, ropes, or noggins, it might be more clear. 

I know its not a lot, but over on the Southeastern board a comparison of the 0z and 12z Euro's show a doubling of QPF (.1 to .2) over much of Virginia. Hampton Roads doubled from roughly .2/.3 to .5/.6. Whole precip shield took a big move north and west. Again, not big amounts, but a positive trend at least.

Archived