Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAH AFD... 3:00PM

THE POSITION OF THE LOW AND IT'S PROXIMITY TO THE NC COAST WILL LARGELY IMPACT THE AMOUNT AND TYPE OF PRECIPITATION THAT OCCURS. REGARDLESS...THERE IS A HIGH PROBABILITY THAT THE NORTHERN HALF TO TWO THIRDS OF THE AREA WILL SEE AT LEAST 2-4 INCHES OF SNOW...WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR HIGHER AMOUNTS IN AN AXIS FROM NEAR SANFORD TO RALEIGH TO ROANOKE RAPIDS WITH 6 INCHES OF SNOW. THE LARGEST UNCERTAINTY IN SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL BE ACROSS THE NORTH NEAR THE VA BORDER ON THE NORTHERN PERIPHERY OF THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS. OTHER UNCERTAINTY LIES WITH THE P-TYPE ACROSS THE SOUTH WHERE TEMPERATURES WILL STRUGGLE TO FALL TO FREEZING. WHILE OVERNIGHT LOWS ACROSS THE NORTH WILL DIP INTO THE UPPER 20S TO AROUND 30 DEGREES WITH GOOD CONFIDENCE THAT PRECIP WILL BE MOSTLY SNOW. ACROSS THE SOUTH THE LOW WILL HOVER AROUND FREEZING...WHICH WILL HAVE A BIG IMPACT OF P-TYPE AND ACCUMULATIONS. GENERALLY SPEAKING...CONFIDENCE IS HIGH THAT THIS EVENT WILL BE SIGNIFICANT...HOWEVER THE EXACT AMOUNTS ACROSS THE REGION AND P-TYPES IN THE SOUTH ARE STILL SOMEWHAT UNCERTAIN.PRECIPITATION PROBABILITIES WILL DECREASE SIGNIFICANTLY AFTER 12Z THURSDAY AS THE LOW MOVES AWAY FROM THE COAST AND HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN ONCE AGAIN. SOME LINGERING LIGHT SNOW IS POSSIBLE IN THE EAST BUT THE SNOW THREAT SHOULD ABATE QUICKLY THURSDAY MORNING AS THE ATMOSPHERE DRIES IN THE ICE NUCLEATION REGION. THIS SHOULD RESULT IN PERIODS OF DRIZZLE AND SPOTTY RAIN WHICH COULD FALL AS A PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN OR DRIZZLE ACROSS THE NORTH AS TEMPERATURES STRUGGLE TO CLIMB ABOVE FREEZING. ADDITIONAL SPOTTY PRECIPITATION MAY REDEVELOP IN THE NW DURING THE DAY AS HIGHS SHOULD MAKE IT INTO THE MID TO UPPER 30S.

Per GSP AFD:

USED THE COLDER NAM TO GENERATE TEMPS/SFC WETBULBS FOR WED NIGHT AND
STAYED CLOSE TO THE WPC QPF. HOWEVER...BUMPED QPF UPWARDS IN THE SW
MOUNTAINS WHERE UPSLOPE WED NIGHT SHOULD PRODCUE HIGHER AMOUNTS.
OTHERWISE...USED A MODEL CONSENSUS FOR FORECAST FIELDS.

THE QUESTION
OF QUICKLY THE BOUNDARY LAYER COOLS IS A BIG PLAYER IN SNOW
ACCUMS. BASED ON SURFACE WET BULBS...IT LOOKS INITIALLY ALONG AND
SOUTH OF I-85 PRECIP WILL BEGIN AS RAIN WHICH WILL USE UP SOME
QPF. HENCE...SNOWFALL ACCUMS WILL FALL OFF TO THE SOUTH WITH THE
RAIN/SNOW LINE MOST LIKELY SETTING UP SOMEWHERE ACROSS THE
SOUTHERN FRINGS OF NE GA AND THE SOUTHERN UPSTATE...FROM ELBERT
COUNTY GA EAST THROUGH ABBEVILLE AND GREENWOOD COUNTIES. THE SREF
PLUMES CATCH THIS SCENARIO WITH THE HIGHEST TOTALS OUTSIDE THE
MOUTAINS ALONG AND NORTH OF I-85 WHERE 4-6 INCHES OF SNOW IS THE
MEAN FORECAST. THE PLUMES INDICATE THAT ACTUALLY THE SW MOUNTAINS
MAY ACHIEVE THE MOST SNOW OF 6-8 INCHES WHICH IS PLAUSIBLE BASED
ON UPSLOPE. THE WPC WWD PAINTS A SWATH OF 4-6 INCH SNOW FROM THE
GA MOUNTAINS EASTWARD THROUGH CLT. HAVE FOLLOWED THIS GENERAL IDEA
WITH SNOW GRIDS... EXCEPT WENT HIGHER IN THE SW MOUNTAINS (6-8
INCHES SOME AREAS).
12Z MODEL QPF HAS A LITTLE BETTER AGREEMENT
WITH THE GFS NOW WETTER BUT STILL NOT QUITE AS WET AS THE NAM. THE
UPSHOT IS THAT CONFIDENCE IS HIGHEST TO GO AHEAD AND PULL THE
TRIGGER ON A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR MOST OF THE AREA BEGINNING
WED LATE AFTERNOON
. THE EXCEPTION IS THE SOUTHERN TIER OF COUNTIES
OF ELBERT...ABBEVILLE...GREENWOOD WHERE WILL A WINTER STORM WATCH
WILL BE MAINTAINED AS RAIN/SNOW LINE WILL BE IN VICINITY.

GSP issuing a warning for most of it's areas. 

New call map is up online.  Thanks everyone for the kind words and please continue to like and share my page!  Yall rock!!

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Thanks Delta! Looks like a logical map to me. 3-6 makes more sense than the general 4-8 just because I think most people don't see quite as much since this is such a fast mover. Somebody will see higher amounts though, maybe over a foot or more in isolated spots, but I don't expect most people will see anywhere near that much. Heavy snows tend to pack down and these ULL precip bands are like t-storms, a couple a miles away may get twice as much as you. Still, looks good for a lot of us at this point. For everyone hoping for more QPF (including me), it's too bad this thing is wanting to get out so quickly. Imagine if it were moving at just half the speed :weenie::snowing:

This looks too far NW with the low's track, which per the other models' consensus is to across the FL panhandle to near Brunswick to a little offshore SAV. What do others think about the chance for a FL panhandle to Brunswickish track?

I don't think it's been nailed down yet and any jumping in or out of the fire is premature :) If I was guessing I'd put it mostly over Fla. but going by models has proven to be fools play more than once, lol.  Still, I'm betting on a tick south, and keeping it in Fla until the last minute.

I really really dislike the trend in the SREF plumes- now at ATL most members 0". GNV now only 2" mean, was 5" Not good, getting more and convinced the north trend is very real.

The SREF is junk, it gets skewed by members that are overly amped, I have not bothered even looking at it beyond just pure curiosity for 3 years...I'd feel pretty good north of ATL right now, in ATL its most likely game over but you never know when its this tight.

The SREF is junk, it gets skewed by members that are overly amped, I have not bothered even looking at it beyond just pure curiosity for 3 years...I'd feel pretty good north of ATL right now, in ATL its most likely game over but you never know when its this tight.

I'm starting to believe the SREF is useless in events such as these...has there been any case studies?

Thanks for the info. It's gonna be rough as the line will likely set up somewhere near Atlanta, be it downtown or up at the northern end of the county.

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA333 PM EST TUE FEB 24 2015...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM WEDNESDAYTHROUGH 10 AM THURSDAY...GAZ001>009-011>016-019>025-027-030>038-041>049-052>055-057-250645-/O.UPG.KFFC.WS.A.0003.150225T1500Z-150226T1200Z//O.NEW.KFFC.WS.W.0004.150225T1500Z-150226T1500Z/DADE-WALKER-CATOOSA-WHITFIELD-MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-CHATTOOGA-GORDON-PICKENS-DAWSON-LUMPKIN-WHITE-FLOYD-BARTOW-CHEROKEE-FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-JACKSON-MADISON-POLK-PAULDING-COBB-NORTH FULTON-GWINNETT-BARROW-CLARKE-OCONEE-OGLETHORPE-HARALSON-CARROLL-DOUGLAS-SOUTH FULTON-DEKALB-ROCKDALE-WALTON-NEWTON-MORGAN-HEARD-COWETA-FAYETTE-CLAYTON-HENRY-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CALHOUN...DAHLONEGA...CLEVELAND...ROME...CARTERSVILLE...GAINESVILLE...MARIETTA...ATLANTA...LAWRENCEVILLE...ATHENS...CARROLLTON...DOUGLASVILLE...EAST POINT...DECATUR...CONYERS...COVINGTON...NEWNAN...PEACHTREE CITY333 PM EST TUE FEB 24 2015...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM WEDNESDAY TO 10 AMEST THURSDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED AWINTER STORM WARNING WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM WEDNESDAY TO10 AM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS...ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM NEWNAN TO COVINGTON  TO ATHENS.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW POSSIBLY MIXING WITH RAIN AT TIMES.* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES WITH UP TO 6 INCHES IN THE  MOUNTAINS OF NORTH AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA. LOWER AMOUNTS OF 1 TO  2 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE ATLANTA METRO  AREA AND ALONG THE SOUTHERN FRINGE OF THE WARNING AREA.* TIMING...10 AM WEDNESDAY THROUGH 10 AM THURSDAY.* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW ALONG WITH NEAR OR BELOW  FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL RESULT IN SLICK ROADWAYS AND MAKE  TRAVEL HAZARDOUS.* VISIBILITIES...VISIBILITIES WILL BE GREATLY REDUCED DURING SOME  OF THE EXPECTED HEAVIER SNOW RATES DURING THE AFTERNOON AND  EVENING.* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN STEADY OR  FALL THROUGH THE DAY TO NEAR FREEZING AS SNOWFALL RATES  INCREASE. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN STEADY NEAR OR  BELOW FREEZING THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS INTO THURSDAY  MORNING.

Tend to agree.  I don't look at it either.  It's like it has all of these whacked out members that come together into a mean that, if it ends up being correct, it's for the wrong reasons.

I'm starting to believe the SREF is useless in events such as these...has there been any case studies?

It's just fun to look at the plumes.  I know last year it was wrong for mby.  It does make me a pause and think about the mean qpf being significantly more than the globals though.  The 2nd lowest qpf member of the SREF matched up with the globals qpf wise.

Archived