joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah everybody, Chris Justice also said that the heaviest snowfall band could slip a little farther North, or a little farther South, depending on the exact track of the LP.

Since the I-85 corridor is right smack in the middle of that map though, I wouldn't think that would affect that corridor all that much. Still a sweet spot I would say.

I-20 North from BMX to ATL

I-85 North from ATL to GSP

Both of these areas will do very well.

South Metro ATL needs to hope from some trends south

North Metro better hope it doesn't "tick" any farther

Northern 1/5th of GA will get plastered

JMO

And east of ATL (out I20)......see me waving the towel

That's the 75%ile forecast probably what WxSouth/Robert shared on facebook a second ago...it's a bit much. It's probably best to use 50%ile, considering it lines up well with the Euro and isn't too extreme. Widespread 10" on the 75%ile image seems bogus.

GJgJpCR.png

Maybe I don't understand these maps. I though it meant that 75% of the time you will get less than what is shown. If so, why make maps showing what you won't get? Why not make a map showing 4 feet for everyone and call it a 100% map?? :facepalm:

I'm surprised the Euro didn't have more QPF. Might be decent ratios us this way, anyways.

I see Brad Panovich has the max 6-8" stripe from north of CLT through GSO and into and past RDU. Interesting.

BTW, I don't know why Robert posted the 75th percentile WPC map on his Facebook page. A bit deceptive...

it's almost time to get sref'd again! I'm interested to see the ukie on wxbell, hopefully it won't take all day.

Maybe I don't understand these maps. I though it meant that 75% of the time you will get less than what is shown. If so, why make maps showing what you won't get? Why not make a map showing 4 feet for everyone and call it a 100% map?? :facepalm:

Weather forecasting is all probabilities. If someone could make a map that showed what you were going to get every time then we wouldn't need anything else. Those probability maps are a great way to present the variety of solutions that are possible. 

Robert is leaning toward it being cold enough. He just posted this on my FB page:

----------------------

I think between Birmingham to Atlanta and Charlotte is hit squarely on the nose with this one. I really like north side of Atlanta but at times the city may bounce between rain, snow and mix. If the rates win out, then its a MAJOR dump of snow. Odds favor just north but its oh-so-close right downtown. This is the dangerous kind too , where it clumps nicely to trees and powerlines. The 5H look has a great look at some of the best storms for northeast Ga and the Carolinas if you look back on the climatology just as long as your temps support it. And in this case, they do, for many of you. As usual that 85 corridor can be a mean make , or break type of highway. Someone is going to get dumped on though, with hefty rates a few hours. Good news is not much ice if any, maybe some sleet in a narrow zone.

It's just statistics.

From the WPC:

For example, if the 75th percentile map shows six inches of snow at a location, then the probability of getting up to six inches of snow is 75% at that point. Conversely, there is only a 25% probability of snowfall exceeding six inches at the location in this example. Percentile accumulations increase as the percentile level increases. To illustrate this point, take the previous example, but instead of the 75th precentile map consider the 10th percentile map showing two inches of snow at the location. In this case, the probability of getting up to but no more than two inches of snow is just 10%. The probability of getting more than two inches is 90%; so, a significant accumulation of snow is likely.

Image I provided to help:

For a best estimate, it's good to use 50% or 50th percentile, in the middle of the normally distributed bell curve.

Xbfsd4G.gif

I'm surprised the Euro didn't have more QPF. Might be decent ratios us this way, anyways.

I see Brad Panovich has the max 6-8" stripe from north of CLT through GSO and into and past RDU. Interesting.

BTW, I don't know why Robert posted the 75th percentile WPC map on his Facebook page. A bit deceptive...

I did too, I thought it would be more west, but the ULL is weakening so fast so it's probably right.  PGV jackpot....again.

post-2311-0-98482700-1424802240_thumb.pn

Wow, that's not much precip along the 85 corridor, thought it would have been more than that.  .4 for CLT? 

I thought it would be more too, but it's like 30 miles from .75".  I think the over-running will over-perform and get a little further north, IMO, I am just not sure how far west the coastal, once off the SE coast will throw snow back.

I'm really excited about where I sit right now with the current models. However, any more trends north and I might be in trouble. 3" seems like a safe bet with the obvious possibility of higher numbers.

Will be interesting to see what FFC comes out with total wise on their projection map.

I'm really excited about where I sit right now with the current models. However, any more trends north and I might be in trouble. 3" seems like a safe bet with the obvious possibility of higher numbers.

Will be interesting to see what FFC comes out with total wise on their projection map.

You're good. A solid 3-6" for you I believe. I'm going with 1-3" for my area.

Archived