SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is when meteorology outweighs modelology...

Having experience in this area gives you a lot of insider knowledge into what is actually going to happen..

That's why I'm going with more rain than snow for RDU.  Rain to begin with, changing to some snow...1-2 inches.

This is when meteorology outweighs modelology...

Having experience in this area gives you a lot of insider knowledge into what is actually going to happen..

That's why I'm going with more rain than snow for RDU.  Rain to begin with, changing to some snow...1-2 inches.

Well two meteorologists on TWC, Chris Warren and Winter Weather Expert Tom Niziol, just said that through the Upstate of SC, right through Raleigh would most likely be in the heaviest snow swath of at least 3 to 5 inches.

I was about to propose this to see if it could lead to lower max temps than forecast.  I'm @ 32 currently with about an inch on the ground.

yeah temps haven't budged at all here either..still 32 without much melting to speak of. Going to be tough making the lower 40s at this rate.

I was about to propose this to see if it could lead to lower max temps than forecast.  I'm @ 32 currently with about an inch on the ground.

Right now, I'm sitting at 10 degrees below the forecast high and just slightly below freezing. Don't see any real warming at this point. Seems the clouds are locked in already.

Yeah...I guess we are getting greedy around RDU. A 1-3 inch snow is usually a big deal here. We want the big 6-7 incher

Talk about being greedy! I've become so spoiled by the big events of the past 4 weeks in eastern Masschusetts that I'm still hoping for a "12" spot somewhere in NC, east of the mountains.

If there's any kind of model concensus suggesting the aforementioned may materialize, I will be traveling to that general location.

Right now, I'm sitting at 10 degrees below the forecast high and just slightly below freezing. Don't see any real warming at this point. Seems the clouds are locked in already.

Doubt I see 41 today.  Light W wind tonight could mess with my temps, but either way, I think we'll have heavy enough precip tomorrow to cool the column.

WPC early model discussion from this morning (12z runs of NAM and GFS included so far in their eval):

...UPPER LOW EJECTING OUT OF THE SOUTHWEST...
...SURFACE LOW DEVELOPING OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO...

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 12Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF
CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

A CLOSED LOW IN THE SOUTHWEST U.S. WILL BECOME AN OPEN BUT SHARP
TROUGH AS IT APPROACHES TEXAS BY WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL INDUCE A
WAVE ALONG A FRONT IN THE NORTHERN GULF OF MEXICO ON WED WHICH
WILL CROSS NORTHERN FLORIDA AND JUST OFFSHORE THE SOUTHEAST COAST
THROUGH THURS. THE 09Z SREF GUIDANCE AND 12Z NAM COLLECTIVELY ARE
THE MOST AMPLIFIED WITH THIS SYSTEM AS IT EJECTS EAST ACROSS THE
GULF COAST STATES AND THROUGH THE SOUTHEAST. CONSEQUENTLY...THEY
ARE FARTHER NORTH WITH THEIR RESPECTIVE LOW TRACKS. DISSECTING THE
SREF GUIDANCE ITSELF...THERE ARE A NUMBER OF ARW AND NMMB MEMBERS
WHICH ARE CONSIDERABLY MORE AMPLIFIED AND FARTHER NORTH WITH THEIR
LOW TRACKS VERSUS THE NMM MEMBERS...AND SO THE FULL ENSEMBLE MEAN
AS A RESULT IS MORE AGGRESSIVE IN BEING FARTHER NORTH AND WETTER.
CONVERSELY...THE 12Z GFS/00Z ECMWF AND 00Z GEM ARE CLUSTERED
TOGETHER IN BEING MORE SUPPRESSED AND WEAKER. THE 00Z ECMWF THOUGH
IS THE WEAKEST SOLUTION WITH THE ENERGY ALOFT. THE 00Z UKMET IS
SOMEWHAT STRONGER AND A LITTLE LEFT OF THE GFS/ECMWF/GEM
CAMP...BUT NOT QUITE TO THE EXTENT OF THE SREF/NAM GUIDANCE. THE
06Z GEFS MEAN AND 00Z ECENS MEAN SUPPORT THE FLATTER GFS/ECMWF LED
CAMP. BASED ON THE SPREAD AND ENSEMBLE SUPPORT...WILL LEAN TOWARD
A BLEND OF THE GFS AND ECMWF. 

WxSouth just posted the Euro and GFS are always missing the boat on the smaller cutoffs like this, and the NAM and short range models are the best to catch this setup. Mentioned the RGEM clobbers north Atlanta through Charlotte and up to Raleigh. 4 to 8 in that zone common, and some may get 10.

Agreed

Yeah...I guess we are getting greedy around RDU. A 1-3 inch snow is usually a big deal here. We want the big 6-7 incher

We are getting a couple of inches today from a system that isn't even that big and has light precip and rates. We are going to get more than a couple of inches from the storm tomorrow. It is a much bigger deal.

The UKMET looks about the same. Ends up with yet another 998 mb LP over Hatteras in basically an identical position to the past 2+ runs after traveling through SE GA.

UK is mixy for RDU, verbatim.  Good front end, then mix, then flip back to snow.   I will take it, got to toe that line.

Had nothing in Alpharetta with 3" or so in central Gwinnett. Rough storm, and it was insane that we had literally nothing (a quick-melting dusting) while 10 miles east they got slammed. I hope there isn't a similar gradient with this storm.

Received 5" on the campus of Auburn University that day from the same storm.  On the day before, there were tornadoes and temps up into the upper 70's.  One of the most dynamic storms I've ever seen.

Archived