• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

Cold air seems to be the main issue at this point as moisture has trended northward. If anywhere is going to get it done, I'd say it would be Raleigh and points West IF** cold air damning sets up a bit earlier/stronger than anticipated. Trends have worked in our favor but still a long ways to go.

The set up for the weekend in particular does look a lot better but its also 6 days out so a lot can change there.

A sky of Mon/Tues Stars, cold air chasing,no way critical thick is crashing from RNK to PGV in 12hrs.  Tail end yes, it will, classic case of cold air playing ketchup, only to have the big player coming though late.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've seen the ensembles show great patterns and storm threats a lot this winter when the ops were not. Unfortunately, they haven't performeduch better. I don't know why...maybe it's just the lower resolution. But neither the GEFS nor the EPS have givene a lot of confidence this year.

true, although with last weeks system we were in the money 96hrs out only to have the low trend nw within 72 hrs or so.  all things considered i love this look both with the op and ensembles 96 hrs out.

That is the super wedge of all wedge's for next weekend on the GFS.. not sure I've ever seen that perfect of a wedge actually verify. It's normally something you see on a 300hr panel.

I was just saying earlier to someone I have never seen the GFS see a wedge that well on numerical data this far out, its surface printout for NE GA has 28 at ATL, usually at 5-7 days the GFS although it may show the wedge on the surface plot won't see it in the numerical data and will spit out a temp of 45.

I was just saying earlier to someone I have never seen the GFS see a wedge that well on numerical data this far out, its surface printout for NE GA has 28 at ATL, usually at 5-7 days the GFS although it may show the wedge on the surface plot won't see it in the numerical data and will spit out a temp of 45.

This may just be a random theory, but IF the Thursday storm works out and we get a few inches of snow, that should definately help keep it colder for the Saturday storm? Maybe it's picking up on that? If not, that wedge could be underestimated, even as cold as already modeled?

The 2/28 system has been and continues to be the more clearcut/widespread threat of the two threats for more of the SE. There's much colder air that is nearby and there's CAD. The midweek low isn't working with nearly the same level of cold air. Maybe some spots luck out with something, however. For me, the interest level is much higher for ~2/28.

Don't count me out, lol.  I've had a feeling about Tues/Wed/Thur that used to be Mon/Tues :)  I've been thinking Tues or so would get me some across the middle of the state, and it's almost cold enough.  Cold enough for a surprise attack anyway :)  This is finally a chance to get a chance down here.  I saw a few mote flakes yesterday, and a short period of mist sleet...kind of flea sized pellets...but I could hear them...so it was something.  But nothing else, and no rain.  All these things stop at the airport, and if they get here at all it's in the last instant, when it's too late to be anything but an hour of rain, after you had rain, or whatever, off and on for 12 or 15 hrs, lol.  Now something wants to put me at the northern edge for a change...so let's show a bit more enthusiasm, if you please :) I'd like to be in the northern part of a humdinger little surprise storm..it's been years!  T

The upcoming week feels a lot like Jan 2000.  We had a period of a couple weeks where we had multiple threats but tough to nail down the timing of the SW's.  It was not a question of if but when we were going to get the big dog here in upstate SC.  Instead we only ended up with a couple of weenie dogs while those south of 85 got Great Daned.  As I recall,  the Carolina Crusher really only crystalized about 12 hours before it hit.  Hope we see a widespread SE event this week but if not I feel someone is in for a surprise before next Saturday.  Should be a fun week.... 

Ah I remeber that 10 day stretch. Best 10 day stretch ever. 8f would be awesome to get a crusher size even t repeat now that we have this board to be on. Think of all the big canes that hit NC late 90s along with Jan 2000, mega ice storm 2002 and the burns speacil Feb 2004. We haven't had anything of the magnitude, maybe the big Christmas snow a few years back, since these boards eastern, now american have taken off.

Archived