joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of precip doing the upslope dance and making it into WNC with isothermal layer in place Tuesday on 12z NAM.  Could be a very interesting day for a lot of us.  But then again, it is the NAM and had me getting 4 inches of snow yesterday at the same time frame and I never saw a flakes, so take it with a grain of salt lol.

I'm willing to bet almost anything the NAM is going to look really good at the end of it's run. Already looks like the energy out west is better oriented. 

Ha, was just about to post that.  More separation, more upstream ridging ahead of the ULL.

Every time I post that though it usually goes to crap...haha but man it's looking like it's screaming WOOF for later this week...wish it was 24 hours on the NAM lol. 

I ran a trend on the 500mb vort maps and you can see on this run it's sacrificing much less energy to shear.  Good trends.

I fully expect you to bust out a trade mark saying on this run. @72 it's looking ripe for a big dog. 

LOL might have to.  Yeah 72 looks awesome.  Similar to yesterday's 6z run (in dgex).  The more neutral tilt this storm can attain, the more energy it's going to keep..

nice to see something just 24 to 36 hours out and potentially could be more. hell it looks like another inch of rain plus here tonight when just 2 days ago there was nothing progged.

the next system looks incredible.  dry mid levels mean that 850mb temps will cool via evap and dynamical cooling. nam is dropping surface temps to freezing underneath that band of heavy snow too.

2 to 4 inches tomorrow night/tue morning and a big one on it's tails? too good to be true.

My concern is that in the GSP discussion, they mention like 2-3 cold fronts coming through, one being a backdoor wedge , between today and Wednesday . Are we relying on these coming through and timing it right, to get anything wintry?

We're relying on a relatively small scale feature to maintain itself as it swings around the polar jet.  Models will have a difficult time coming into full agreement with it until we're within 48 hrs I'd wager.  I think the higher resolution models will get it first. (NAM, SREF, RGEM)

A thing of beauty @84 ATL getting hammered and everything looks to be turning the corner. Daddy like. 

Oh yeah,  yesterday's dgex fantasy storm has officially made it to the NAM.  lol

edit:  nearly there I'll amend. doesn't cut it off at 84 like the dgex did but looking at the 500 vort maps, it's close!

You never heard the southern expression of getting the vapors? It's when you get light headed from hysteria.

I guess there's a first for everything. I followed you somewhat though. haha. Thanks for the continued PBP's

GA is getting NAM'd.....take with a massive mountain of salt of course but the SREF is seeing it too. 

LT9MQDGl.gif

and it would still be snowing pretty hard at 84. Besides the fact this is the fantasy 84 hour nam which is about as reliable as flipping a coin,  the fact it's so cold is interesting since the runs of the euro that had the system this far north kept 0c 850s well north of this run of the nam. There is a very fine needle to thread here since if it trends very much north at all, it's likely all rain outside the mountains..except in nc where there is more wiggle room.

personally, i'm much more interested in tomorrow nights/tue system since it's not in the fantasy range.

Oh yeah,  yesterday's dgex fantasy storm has officially made it to the NAM.  lol

edit:  nearly there I'll amend. doesn't cut it off at 84 like the dgex did but looking at the 500 vort maps, it's close!

I love love love that look. No matter what precip shield is almost always further north in that scenario....and then it appeared it would be turning the corner. Hopefully the GFS and Euro follow it today. Always sucks when you're getting excited about 84 hours on the NAM. 

and it would still be snowing pretty hard at 84. Besides the fact this is the fantasy 84 hour nan which is about as reliable as flipping a coin,  the fact it's so cold is interesting since the runs of the euro that had the system this far north kept 0c 850s well north of this run of the nam. There is a very fine needle to thread here since if it trends very much north at all, it's likely all rain outside the mountains..except in nc where there is more wiggle room.

Yea 84 hour NAM is like relying on your always drunk Uncle to pick you up from school. It also always has the tendency to over amplify everything. At 5h the vort coming over is so dynamic it should force a lot of cold air in. It seems to be one step away from closing off the entire time it goes across the SE. 

THe euro was really close to a hit for NC on Thursday morning. A large swath of precip slides just south of us. Now that this looks like a legit s/w /w the timing, the only thing preventing this from being a big snowstorm is the 500mb low sitting over New England. That is blunting this storm from turning the corner. If that is able to trend a  little quicker, that HP over the Dakotas slides down and the trough axis allowed to get a little more neutral/negative. This one should be interesting to track. The EURO was actually showing cold enough upper levels for snow in ATL for this one, however the sfc is too warm. Areas on the northern cusp would be snow as is (north of AHN to CAE) although still slightly above 0c at the sfc.

doesn't the long range nam suck though ? I would be shocked if I ended up getting half a foot of snow like this shows.

No one said you were going to get 6".  Like Burger said, take it with a truckload of salt.  People forget that the models have shown great hits between 84hr-120hr on all the LR models on to have the threat lost.  IMO I want them showing potential at this point but there is no way in hell I want to be in the bullseye at this point in time.  Things have trended N or NW on the past few systems, remember how everyone was worried about a suppressed storm not providing enough precip for Monday two Fridays ago?  Then we ended up getting a warm nose that kept us icy.  We went from worrying about precip, to worrying about cold air in like 24 hours.  I say all that to say that I like where we sit atm.  No snow threat that was showing in the 3-4 day timeframe has panned out this winter, so I think the positioning of the LP now is in a good spot to trend towards a SE snowstorm over the next few days.

Archived