• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

I agree about the totals. In my mind at least the question is if the nam is right with how much precip falls since pretty much every model is drier than the nam. That said, the good news is there has been a general wetter trend with this on every model and we still have time for the other models to catch up to it

Looking at soundings on the gfs and other models in general, i think it will be cold enough since most of the modeling agrees on the level of cold air advection at the surface and aloft. .There appears to be just enough caa tomorrow that whatever falls will probably be mostly frozen along and north of highway 78, while areas down toward i-20/south of atlanta and athens could start off as a mix, it should changeover before ending at least. this is assuming of course there is actually a fair bit of precip falling.

As for the second system, the nam is by itself with how cold and how far north the precip is. Which is normally not a good sign.

I was too young to remember 1982 so I don't think i can recall having back to back accumulating snows here so if it were to happen it would be really unusual.

Yeah, I've been concerned about there being cold enough air aloft for Wed PM. We really need help aloft to bring cold downward. Otoh, I just checked the 850 mb dew points for then and they're WAY below 0C. So, IF significant precip were to somehow come north enough and not too far north to result in too much WAA, there may actually be a pretty decent sized needle hole in which to thread for ATL-AHN corridor.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked the WunderMap forecast and it shows rain showers ending as snow showers in Charleston early Tuesday AM. Interesting.

I'm thinking the suppressed solution might benefit us in the Charleston area. You can't really hope for much of a chance for any frozen precipitation living here in the low country, but this week we may have a slim chance to see some.

The 12 Z GFS is the 3rd one in a row having an additional low form off the SE coast on 2/27 and prevent a 2/28 Gulf/CAD storm. I had earlier thought this had the best potential of the week. I guess I've changed my mind as the two earlier ones look much more promising than 2/28 now.

Yeah, I've been concerned about there being cold enough air aloft for Wed PM. We really need help aloft to bring cold downward. Otoh, I just checked the 850 mb dew points for then and they're WAY below 0C. So, IF significant precip were to somehow come north enough and not too far north to result in too much WAA, there may actually be a pretty decent sized needle hole in which to thread for ATL-AHN corridor.

GFS is really keeping that vort juiced at 12z...much like the NAM. If it continues to trend stronger you guys should be good. Like I said on the NAM it seemed really close to closing off and the GFS wasn't too far away from that either. 

**VALID 12z WED**

Ok, lets get down to basics.  Lest look at the synoptics here.  Tell me if you can see the **BIGGEST** difference and why the NAM is a bit further north.  Now please hear my clearly.....I don't know if the NAM is right, but it FITS the trends of winter for the PV to be a bit more "relaxed"  ie further north.  The NAM, at least is telling me where the GFS/EURO/CMC **COULD** end up.   The big 3 globals are not that far off from a HUGE winter storm in the SE.  The GFS:

2qjge8y.jpg

The NAM:

dnk94i.jpg

GGEM is too warm around these parts with good moisture.

IF and it's a big IF the 5h energy works the way the NAM and GFS seem to want it to many including you will probably do very well. If it can wrap up you'll get a lot of dynamics that will work in your favor. I wouldn't be concerned with sfc temps right now. 

IF and it's a big IF the 5h energy works the way the NAM and GFS seem to want it to many including you will probably do very well. If it can wrap up you'll get a lot of dynamics that will work in your favor. I wouldn't be concerned with sfc temps right now. 

I was thinking along these lines.  I just wanted to put it out there for anyone around this area expecting big Wintry accumulation maps or anything.  I like where this is possibly going.  It seems like just a few days ago we were putting everything into the last weekend system, but this Tues-Thur period isn't too far off from the main show.

Also of interest on the Spaghetti plot it looks like quite a number of members turn the corner on the GEFS for Thurs. storm. One at least has a 990mb low off of Hatteras lol. 

the latest trends are the exact opposite of last weeks.  we had a good look but all the trends and short range models were trending to what we didnt want to see (pulling the low north).  now we have a suppressed system on the op, but everything is trending towards a possible big dog.  00z runs tonight will be huge to see if we finally get the op runs to hit.

I was thinking along these lines. I just wanted to put it out there for anyone around this area expecting big Wintry accumulation maps or anything. I like where this is possibly going. It seems like just a few days ago we were putting everything into the last weekend system, but this Tues-Thur period isn't too far off from the main show.

Generally speaking for winter wx in the se anything that can wrong usually does unfortunately. Hope with all these chances we can see something for a lot of us this week.

The general set up looks decent but with the models all over the place this winter (even up to a possible event) I am cautious

Also of interest on the Spaghetti plot it looks like quite a number of members turn the corner on the GEFS for Thurs. storm. One at least has a 990mb low off of Hatteras lol. 

I think the 06z GEFS spaghetti had a 990mb low off of Wilmington

Most are talking about wed /thurs storm, with all the excitement , correct? What about the Tues " threat" ? Is nam only one showing that? It really is confusing with 2 threats that close, not even including Monday

Every model has something Tuesday AM except the GFS, the UKMET went a bit drier this run but my guess is the GFS caves on this eventually.

Archived