CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Midlands brothers will be glad to know the 15z SREF is more than cold enough for the early hit Tues/Weds before the big show. The only question is how much moisture.

If an early snow appetizer does occur, that could be quite beneficial for you up there. My gut tells me the Midlands might get crushed, just a gut feeling, no more.

All have known warm biases at the range. Let's hope the storm idea and track stays favorable for all of us.

I just took a look at the low resolution quick EPS stamps.. and while many members have some kind of accumulation through day 5, they are in suprising agreement to keep the heavier precipitation (Winter weather) just North of Lake Murray SC.

No real big Monsters for the Midlands mixed in.

The Control & Mean are very close to the Operational.

Edit:  The SREF does turn a big area over to snow as the coastal pulls up the coast.

:( You better be glad it's Friday and I'm in a good mood.

It's a good day so far!  Jeff is dominating the 500 so far! :)

---

The EPS control run is further N/W than the op Euro and a huge hit for most of NC.

Track: 1004 mb just south of Mobile (hr 78) -> 999 mb just north of Pensacola (hr 84) -> 998 mb just offshore of CHS (hr 90) -> 995 mb LP ~100 miles offshore of Emerald Isle, NC (hr 96).

The snowfall mean is the best yet!  Looks like 4-6" for GSO/CLT/RDU with a pocket of 6"+ near Roanoke Rapids with 2-4" all the way through N MS/N AL/N GA/NW SC.

The mean EPS track is basically right on top of the control run's track.

Well....Can we FINALLY get some wintry weather around the Southern plains, SE and the Mid-South?  Models keep trending better and better, but will they be cold enough to produce?  Check out the video for more on my Facebook page.  Please take a minute to watch the video, like the page and spread word if you want/havn't yet.  Thanks everyone!

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons 

In all seriousness, Some of todays model depictions look as if they are just what we need to give many of us (especially south) a winter storm. Let's hope the storm track stays along the gulf coast/FL panhandle and we get a good high placement for strong wedging.

Yeah, that's not happening with the mid-week system as currently modeled.  We are dealing with a leftover, semi-cold air mass that is hanging on by a thread...less temp concerns as you go north and west, obviously

Good tends guys but I am still a doubting Thomas. If models are showing this on Wed then I might jump on board, but I feel like I've seen this show too many times before. All I can think is that there is NO way what is showing now will actually happen. It WILL trend NW and the upstate will do well to be on the fringe. Until something different happens I just can't expect anything different. I'm also concerned about temps. I do like the looks now, just don't think they hold till the event.

It's a good day so far!  Jeff is dominating the 500 so far! :)

---

The EPS control run is further N/W than the op Euro and a huge hit for most of NC.

Track: 1004 mb just south of Mobile (hr 78) -> 999 mb just north of Pensacola (hr 84) -> 998 mb just offshore of CHS (hr 90) -> 995 mb LP ~100 miles offshore of Emerald Isle, NC (hr 96).

The snowfall mean is the best yet!  Looks like 4-6" for GSO/CLT/RDU with a pocket of 6"+ near Roanoke Rapids with 2-4" all the way through N MS/N AL/N GA/NW SC.

The mean EPS track is basically right on top of the control run's track.

Don't leave me out man, MWK lol.. :(

GSP discounting the GFS as outlier.  At this point, they are about as confident as they can be.  Notice the last section.  Over my many decades of weather watching, I have seen many times where we get a winter storm either on the front or end of a pattern change....

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...
AS OF 2 PM SUNDAY...THE PRIMARY EXCITEMENT DURING THE MEDIUM RANGE
OCCURS AT THE START OF THE PERIOD...SURROUNDING A POTENTIAL PRECIP
EVENT ASSOCIATED WITH SOUTHERN STREAM VORTICITY MAX/COASTAL CYCLONE.
THE 12Z ECMWF REMAINS QUITE CONSISTENT IN SPREADING MOISTURE AND
PRECIPITATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FEATURE INTO THE WESTERN
CAROLINAS AND NORTH GEORGIA BY WED EVENING. IT HAS QUITE A BIT OF
SUPPORT FROM THE 12Z NAM THROUGH 84 HOURS. THE GFS REMAINS QUITE DRY
OVER OUR AREA. HOWEVER...IT IS NOT ONLY AN OUTLIER IN COMPARISON
WITH OTHER DETERMINISTIC MODELS...BUT IS ALSO AN OUTLIER AMONG THE
GLOBAL ENSEMBLE SYSTEM. IN FACT...THE GEFS ENSEMBLE MEANS PRODUCES
MORE THAN AN INCH OF QPF ACROSS OUR SOUTHERN PIEDMONT AREA DURING
THIS TIME. WILL CONTINUE TO ADVERTISE CHANCE POPS DURING THIS
TIME...PRIMARILY ACROSS THE SOUTHERN 2/3 OF THE FORECAST AREA. A
PERFECT PROG OF THE ECMWF SUGGESTS SOME POTENTIAL FOR WINTRY
PRECIP...PRIMARILY A RAIN/SNOW ISSUE IN THE ABSENCE OF STRONG WAA/
WARM NOSE DEVELOPMENT...WITH THE MTNS STANDING THE BEST CHANCE OF
SEEING SNOW. OF COURSE...THESE DETAILS ARE SUBJECT...AND IN FACT
LIKELY TO CHANGE AS THE EVENT DRAWS NEARER.

OTHERWISE...THE MEDIUM RANGE WILL FEATURE CONTINUED BELOW NORMAL
TEMPS...AS THE BROAD EASTERN CONUS TROUGH MAINTAINS A STRONG
CONNECTION WITH THE HIGH LATITUDES...ALLOWING YET ANOTHER EXPANSIVE
CANADIAN HIGH TO BUILD SOUTHEAST FROM CENTRAL NORTH AMERICA DURING
THE LATTER HALF OF THE WEEK. THE GLOBAL MODELS ARE HINTING AT A
PATTERN CHANGE BY THE END OF THE WEEK...INDICATING MAJOR WESTERN
HEIGHT FALLS...AND RESULTANT EASTERN CONUS HEIGHT RISES BY NEXT
WEEKEND. ESTABLISHMENT OF DEEP SW FLOW ACROSS THE AREA SHOULD
FINALLY INITIATE A WARMING TREND BY DAY 7...ALTHOUGH TEMPS WILL
LIKELY REMAIN BELOW NORMAL THROUGH NEXT SUNDAY

GSP not biting on any wintry weather this week for the upstate. Only mention is mix of rain and snow Sat night. Temps too warm each day as well. Hope their just being conservative and taking wait and see stance :)

I suppose you are referring to your specific forecast.  I thought their discussion write-up was completely reasonable

Archived