amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the board - it's impossible to say with the models right now but there is a good chance of seeing something wintry for the area this week (either of the Greenvilles!). To get caught up, I suggest you take a bit of a 'watch and learn' approach as things move along, it can be fast-paced in here at times. :)

That's for sure

It looks to me like the 18z GFS Operational is a warm outlier compared to it's ensemble members for our event. It is also on the dry side of things as almost all of the members are as wet as the Op, but several members are much wetter/colder and would imply a major hit for a lot of areas!

It looks to me like the 18z GFS Operational is a warm outlier compared to it's ensemble members for our event. It is also on the dry side of things as almost all of the members are as wet as the Op, but several members are much wetter/colder and would imply a major hit for a lot of areas!

The big four are not in agreement. Worries me that for almost two days the GFS has took to a dryer side.

For the first time, the GEFS (18Z) actually has a mean of 1"+ of SN in some areas for 2/25-6! It has 1-4" in a band from N ALto E NC. That's pretty sig. imo. It isn't nearly as easy to get 1"+ on the GEFS as it is on the EPS. This is pure snow.

There are a ton of juicy panels on the 18z GEFS.  Several sub-1000mb lows over the SE coast, a few before it even hits the coast.

Not a single member is way amped and warm...nice

Local guy, Chris Justus , showed dry on Tuesday , showed precip South on Wed/Thur, says greenwood could get some light snow and said south if 85 could get the snow and expects it to stay south , but he would watch it!

Typical, no tv met would say otherwise. You know threats are there so no need to worry about what they tell the general public at this stage. The NW trend will certainly commence, it's happened every time.

So confused lol I'll just watch

Add your location so we know where you are.

There is a system for tomorrow and Tuesday that could bring a little light snow for parts of the area. The more impressive chance for snowfall is Wednesday night into Thursday. Different models develop it enough to produce a significant snowfall. Others show less development, keeping it suppressed. I would lean toward a more developed system. But basically we'll have to watch and see what the models show over the next 24 hours. Hope that helps.

And welcome aboard.

ENSO analogs: late Feb/early Mar measurable SN/IP/ZR ATL has been rather concentrated considering the fairly small # of days. A respectable ~40% of these analogs had measurable wintry precip. there then. However, a good # of the nonproducing analogs weren't cold or wet in Feb. So, if we add to this 40% the fact that we continue in an unusually cold pattern (high correlation between very cold in Feb. and sig. wintry events) along with it being wet with a nice supply of subtropical moisture, it is hard to be more golden than we are climowise right now. That's why I'm so pumped about these modeled threats. The vast majority of Feb.'s don't give us this level of opportunity. I'll honestly be quite surprised if the ATL area doesn't at least get one measurable wintry event (likely SN).

2/21/1978

2/25/1964

2/26/1952

3/2/1942

2/21/1936

2/29/1920

2/25/1914

2/20/1905

2/23/1901

2/27-8/1886

2/24/1885

So, either/both the 2/24 and 2/25-6 potential events would fit in nicely here.

Archived