joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of February/ Early March Discussion Thread 2015

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you have a pretty good grasp on these teleconnections brother, would you have any hypothesis as to why this Ridge is so relentless?

probably climate change

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/10/1/014005

New metrics and evidence are presented that support a linkage between rapid Arctic warming, relative to Northern hemisphere mid-latitudes, and more frequent high-amplitude (wavy) jet-stream configurations that favor persistent weather patterns. We find robust relationships among seasonal and regional patterns of weaker poleward thickness gradients, weaker zonal upper-level winds, and a more meridional flow direction. These results suggest that as the Arctic continues to warm faster than elsewhere in response to rising greenhouse-gas concentrations, the frequency of extreme weather events caused by persistent jet-stream patterns will increase.

probably climate change

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/10/1/014005

New metrics and evidence are presented that support a linkage between rapid Arctic warming, relative to Northern hemisphere mid-latitudes, and more frequent high-amplitude (wavy) jet-stream configurations that favor persistent weather patterns. We find robust relationships among seasonal and regional patterns of weaker poleward thickness gradients, weaker zonal upper-level winds, and a more meridional flow direction. These results suggest that as the Arctic continues to warm faster than elsewhere in response to rising greenhouse-gas concentrations, the frequency of extreme weather events caused by persistent jet-stream patterns will increase.

Thank you for the very informative explanation.

Since you have a pretty good grasp on these teleconnections brother, would you have any hypothesis as to why this Ridge is so relentless?

I think there has to be linkage to increased temps and the forcing that is a result of it.

That's s good piece that Fork posted.

It has to be viewed as rare to see the same profiles stuck in such a vast body of water.

I was surprised to see the JMA show the same profile again. No way to know if that will actually look like that , but that would make 3 straight years .

Yes! If we had some Nao and ao blocking, this would have been an epic winter

If that were the case this year we would have had 100". Slow the storms down and put them SW and we are boston

I think something like this can be said for virtually every winter though. If we had this, if we had that; it's the reason we've only seen one winter within shouting distance of 100", 95-96. Pretty much everything was in our favor, and even that year, one could argue that it would have been better if we didn't waste 3 weeks in the heart of winter (no snow from about Jan 11 to the beginning of Feb).

I think something like this can be said for virtually every winter though. If we had this, if we had that; it's the reason we've only seen one winter within shouting distance of 100", 95-96. Pretty much everything was in our favor, and even that year, one could argue that it would have been better if we didn't waste 3 weeks in the heart of winter (no snow from about Jan 11 to the beginning of Feb).

That's why Boston has a higher snowfall average than NYC. They are in a better place for big coastal lows and far enough north for the cold side of more storms. They were perfectly positioned for this winter.

That's why Boston has a higher snowfall average than NYC. They are in a better place for big coastal lows and far enough north for the cold side of more storms. They were perfectly positioned for this winter.

Agree. Longitude plays a major role in that. Boston can catch rapidly developing clippers with no downstream blocking, simply b/c of their eastward location, jutting out into the Atlantic. For us, we need more of a mechanism to slow down those clippers so that we share in the major snows.

Yawn, I think you're one of the few posters left still rooting for cold and snow. Spring is on the way. Most of the 5" thst fell here on Saturday is gone and bare spots are starting to show up along the highways.

We are fighting against climo and the sun now, the clock definately has started ticking. We currently have an October sun

Yawn, I think you're one of the few posters left still rooting for cold and snow. Spring is on the way. Most of the 5" thst fell here on Saturday is gone and bare spots are starting to show up along the highways.

It's pretty common for this area to see snowstorms in the last week of February and the first two weeks of March, so it's completely natural for weather fans to be still rooting for one. It would be different if he was still rooting for snow in late March, since that's not realistic and it's a time when everyone wants Spring to come on. But it's February 23rd, still winter. A strange time to tell someone to stop rooting for snow

Nope. Just discussing what the models show. March is going to be cold so get use to the cold.

It's pretty common for this area to see snowstorms in the last week of February and the first two weeks of March, so it's completely natural for weather fans to be still rooting for one. It would be different if he was still rooting for snow in late March, since that's not realistic and it's a time when everyone wants Spring to come on. But it's February 23rd, still winter. A strange time to tell someone to stop rooting for snow

No it's not.  Spring is a mere few weeks away.

Single digits in late Feb FTL. I mean it's awesome having a top 5 coldest Feb on record but I'm ready for it to end.

The amount of ice I'm seeing on the rivers and bays is unbelievable. I've never seen that before let alone this late in the season.

Anyway if there's no one last snow hurrah then let the milder weather commence. Of course now it's going to be another uphill battle it seems as the stubborn EPO doesn't want to go away. Luckily climo and a higher sun angle are there to make things feel better than they've been.

I agree with this. As a fan of snow, I'm not about to start rooting for spring to come already when it's only February 23rd. Some people on here are speaking like it's mid march. We have had many snowstorms post February 23rd throughout the years,

I guess you haven't looked at history. It's very common for NYC to see snowstorms in March.

GFS is really wintry and cold. Last March was great for the DC area. NYC missed out on 3-4 storms that was supposed to hit the area.

Lot of downers on this thread. The disturbance on Wednesday is slowly trending south and the one on Friday is slowly trending north. I think we could get shafted twice this week...first to our north (another round for Boston), then to our south (chances look good for DC). 

The disturbance on Wednesday is slowly trending west. The one on Friday is also trending north.

Archived