joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of February/ Early March Discussion Thread 2015

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a general sense, the 12z NAM looks nice for the Thursday event, 50/50 low, arctic banana high well to the west, and a low coming out of the gulf. But it seems late Feb/March has become the mid atlantic/SE US snow time (like last year).

Flow is too fast. ++AO and ++NAO means we are fighting a losing battle. I agree with PB that the best shot for us will be early next week with a SWFE where a ++AO and ++NAO often work strongly to our benefit.

So Cisco at the climate prediction center is totally off his rocker with that discussion? And typhoon tip posted the epo projections, they have it going positive within the next 7 days

Someone's in denial as to our geography.  Spring's coming in March, get over it.  The snow will melt.  The plants will bloom.  The sundresses will be out.  Happens e'ry year.

PB  has absolutely nailed the temps outlook all winter long for what its worth. Hes not saying it wont warm up, but he is saying to expect a below average March. I generally agree with him just based on his track record reading the pattern thus far. 

I think the European will come east as HP keeps pulsing through the lakes .  ( However we are coming to the end of this pattern ) . So this should probably be the last one that come S , before we pull back for a week and before we re fire it again for a few weeks . 

Eventually one of these are going to cut , I just don`t think it is this one . Here is the GEM . gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

I'm going back to this post at this time next week. Euro has close to a foot of snowcover for the area next week. GFS and Euro aren't that far apart. It's a SWFE with a high coming down from Canada. Too early to say if you like rain then yes.

If it's a true SWFE then it'll be a snow to rain solution. Too bad we can't get those lows to come up the coast.

Flow is too fast. ++AO and ++NAO means we are fighting a losing battle. I agree with PB that the best shot for us will be early next week with a SWFE where a ++AO and ++NAO often work strongly to our benefit.

If anything happens sunday into monday it looks like mix or snow to rain as temps go milder next week

The last -AMO phase the NAO was very positive, but the previous one I think it was more negative.  As a whole though the -AMO pfavors more severe cold outbreaks and winters but less snowy ones.

that was the case in the 80's into the early 90's.  Very few "big ones" and some notable arctic outbreaks, Dec 80, 82 Jan 85

We are heading into a long term negative phase of the AMO. This may portend less atlantic hurricanes in the future

Agree-amazed that we have had so few the last 5-8 years...bathwater AMO and little activity

It also tends to cause less snowy winters here because it produces less big storms with colder waters.

1980's coming back!!!

The +AMO favors a -AO/-NAO.

attachicon.gif500.gif

also amazed we've had no -NAO the last 2-3 years with the +AMO at it's peak

Archived