• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
End of February/ Early March Discussion Thread 2015

Allsnow

Do the ssts drive the pattern or does the pattern drive the ssts? Huge debate there. But as a sweeping generality +pdo does support more +pna than not, but not always...

There is a huge debate there yes. I tend to believe the sst's drive the pattern as to me the sst's help to create the pressures governing the oscillations, however, there has been some good evidence provided to the contrary as well. Of course the Walker Circulation has a lot to do with ENSO as well.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the ssts drive the pattern or does the pattern drive the ssts? Huge debate there. But as a sweeping generality +pdo does support more +pna than not, but not always...

IMO the SST drive the pattern . The Pacific is so large it's temp profiles throughout its different regions determine upper air patterns downstream .

IMO the SST drive the pattern . The Pacific is so large it's temp profiles throughout its different regions determine upper air patterns downstream .

Yes, and to me the same holds true with PDO. Sst's help to drive the Aleutian LP placement and consequently all the implications which follow.

I wouldn't give up on Thursday storm. Beautiful day today, instead of arguing you guys should go and enjoy it. Can't wait till we bottom out to 9 F tonight :)

The really cold air will start to come in tomorrow so you'll  probably achieve that 9 degree reading tomorrow evening with the low for the day at midnight...tonight should mostly stay in the 20's.

I'm not going to bother responding to your unsolicited attack Paul, but I guess we'll see where we stand on March 31st.

Chris I posted an opinion. And you responded that I was In denial.

That was the first unsolicited attack brother. If i came back to hard then I apologize.

The same as the PDO is about a 20-30 year oscillation, so is the AMO. Hopefully you are correct with the hurricanes, but the mesoscale effects remain to be seen.

I read some research suggesting that -AMO may favor -NAO/-AO, but there was no direct link besides those oscillations being negative more often during long term -AMO

Do not be surprised if the storm Friday ends up coming way north...the problem right now is the big low off Canada being a suppressor but we've seen all winter those lifting out faster than forecast.

It's something to watch for sure. We've already seen huge swings in the models under 2 days so it wouldn't surprise me if they do so again.

I apologize, I guess I was mistaken, I read the article years ago. If that's the case, it's bad news going into the future because we are going into a negative AMO

The last -AMO phase the NAO was very positive, but the previous one I think it was more negative.  As a whole though the -AMO pfavors more severe cold outbreaks and winters but less snowy ones.

It's something to watch for sure. We've already seen huge swings in the models under 2 days so it wouldn't surprise me if they do so again.

I count four close misses on the 18z GFS:

Miss 1 at 24 hrs (to our south)

Miss 2 at 66 hrs (to our north)

Miss 3 at 87 hrs (to our south)

Miss 4 at 117 hrs (to our south)

Then it looks like it warms up.

Yawn. You are so bad at this. I crushed this entire winter.

I've hit patterns and storms for the most part all winter. You wouldn't know that because you were stuck in PR for the last 3 months.

Maybe someone will fill you in

What you are seeing are pressures in the EP region. The NEG does not disappear it retrogrades like I said.

Which goes exactly to what I said why week 1 in march is warm. So thank you for proving my point from the post above

Because of the SST profile it will come back . You just had an SOI Burst so by day 10 you will probably see a ridge on the EC In the means

That's another reason why I said week 1 in march is above normal.

What else can I help you with.

No bs. Pb has been on fire this year.

Archived